Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Residency update

Residency update

Old Dec 10th 2009, 2:20 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Residency update

Originally Posted by indiebird
Love it!!! Did you get it sorted then Duffer??!!
I'd like to know what happened as well.

You shouldn't have asked for the renewel of anything of course. I did tell you to ask for an attestato di soggiorno permanente.
Old Dec 10th 2009, 10:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

davehornet6 has a brilliant futuredavehornet6 has a brilliant futuredavehornet6 has a brilliant futuredavehornet6 has a brilliant futuredavehornet6 has a brilliant futuredavehornet6 has a brilliant futuredavehornet6 has a brilliant futuredavehornet6 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by duffer
Me:
carefull there you will give yourself a hernia!
nearly gave me one laughing so much
shouldn't laugh yet i suppose it'll be my turn to go mental in italy soon
Old Dec 11th 2009, 2:17 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

duffer - move to Spain....
Old Dec 11th 2009, 3:21 pm
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
I'd like to know what happened as well.

You shouldn't have asked for the renewel of anything of course. I did tell you to ask for an attestato di soggiorno permanente.
Yeah I know but I forgot. In the end I told the guy that the lady said it couldn't be done at the comune however on the Italian government website it says you can. I also mentioned that I know the law has changed recently regarding the CdiS CE.
Anyway, he went to talk to somebody else and they all came back and asked if I was an English citizen or a British citizen. Doh!

In the end he said he had to call somebody to get more info because I needed to wait 5 years before getting the permanent version of the CdiS. Mine is running out on 22/12/2009 but according to their records the 5 years isn't up until 12/02/2010 which is the 5th anniversary of when the carabinieri came to visit me (we put the request in during Sept 2004 so it took them 5 months to visit me). So I left my number and left.

Then yesterday the same lady I had seen earlier called me saying she now understood the discorso and I can get the permanente done there but I should go in February with my passport, CdiS CE and 2 lots of bollo for EUR 14,62. She'll do a certificato di residenza and send everything off to some place. I asked would there be a problem as my CdiS is expiring. She said she doesn't think so as long as I have medical cover (which i do) however this doesn't give me a great deal of comfort. Would there be a problem having an expired carta di soggiorno? I hope not.
Old Dec 11th 2009, 6:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Serrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond repute

!

In the end he said he had to call somebody to get more info because I needed to wait 5 years before getting the permanent version of the CdiS. Mine is running out on 22/12/2009 but according to their records the 5 years isn't up until 12/02/2010 which is the 5th anniversary of when the carabinieri came to visit me (we put the request in during Sept 2004 so it took them 5 months to visit me).
HI, I've been lurking here for some time, but only just got around to registering. I've been through this loop recently, and the correct situation (though that won't necessarily help) is that the five years are counted from the initial date of the CdiS

Prot. n. 200704165/15100/14865 (39) from the Ministero dell'Intero states this quite clearly in Article 10. You can easily Google it, but I don't know of any translations into English. Hope it helps.

EDIT: And you don't need medical cover.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 2:29 pm
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

Tomorrow evening I need to apply for my Attestato di Soggiorno Permanente (I will definitely remember this time, Lorna). Fingers crossed.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 2:43 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Tomorrow evening I need to apply for my Attestato di Soggiorno Permanente (I will definitely remember this time, Lorna). Fingers crossed.
Let me know how it goes. Got to get mine this year too.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 6:41 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

After 5 years of permanent residency you can apply for a Carta di Soggiorno CE - this is not the usual CdiS which stopped being mandatory in March 2007, but is the permanent residents version which will probably have an expiry of the same date as your passport if you have non Italian nationality. As a bRitish national you have to travel on your British passport throughout Schengen countries. Permanent residence is not nationality - its a 10 year residence requirement unless you have mitigating circumstances. The CdiS CE is an elective state for a non Italian - it is not a requirement.

Your comune sounds to be as efficient and up to date as mine. I realised here in Sicily that its best to know the law better than the public servants as they ca always be persuaded to do what you want to do if you wave the right ministerial circular!
Old Jan 27th 2010, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by modicasa
After 5 years of permanent residency you can apply for a Carta di Soggiorno CE - this is not the usual CdiS which stopped being mandatory in March 2007, but is the permanent residents version which will probably have an expiry of the same date as your passport if you have non Italian nationality. As a bRitish national you have to travel on your British passport throughout Schengen countries. Permanent residence is not nationality - its a 10 year residence requirement unless you have mitigating circumstances. The CdiS CE is an elective state for a non Italian - it is not a requirement.

Your comune sounds to be as efficient and up to date as mine. I realised here in Sicily that its best to know the law better than the public servants as they ca always be persuaded to do what you want to do if you wave the right ministerial circular!
It is called an Attestato di soggiorno permanente because it is NOT a Carta di soggiorno CE and it has nothing to do with the date of expirary on your passport.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 7:09 am
Pull my finger

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Let me know how it goes. Got to get mine this year too.
I'm going on Saturday morning now (they open til late only on Wednesdays) because I forgot it's Brando 18mth checkup at the Pediatra. Couldn't get an appointment any earlier as he was too busy with children with flu.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 7:17 am
Pull my finger

Originally Posted by modicasa

Modicasa, I already have the Carta di Soggiorno CE from 2004. It's already expired. I thought the law changed in February 2008 for EU nationals? Maybe Sicily is a bit behind the times...
Old Jan 27th 2010, 7:23 am

Modicasa, I already have the Carta di Soggiorno CE from 2004. It's already expired. I thought the law changed in February 2008 for EU nationals? Maybe Sicily is a bit behind the times...
Duffer it was 2007.
You should really have gone to your comune before it expired though.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 10:06 am
Pull my finger

I did. But they were not going by 5 years from the date of issue of the CdiS but 5 years from the date of the Carabineri coming round which was 5 months after my initial request for residency.
They said it wouldn't be problem - which I now think it means it's not a problem for them but it might be for me 'cos I might get deported by the white Christmas brigade.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 10:14 am

I did. But they were not going by 5 years from the date of issue of the CdiS but 5 years from the date of the Carabineri coming round which was 5 months after my initial request for residency.
They said it wouldn't be problem - which I now think it means it's not a problem for them but it might be for me 'cos I might get deported by the white Christmas brigade.
So they go by the date when your residency in Italy became official then.

Mine was years ago so I hope I don't get any grief when it's my turn.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 3:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

Well, in my defence neither the polizia di stato nor most comunes make any difference between the carta di soggiorno CE and the attestazione di soggiorno permanente, and other than the original decree I have always seen it referred to as the CdiS CE, even though technically the CdiS CE is for non European citizens or the non European dependents of a European citizen - they are essentially the same thing. However, apologies if I misled anyone.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.