Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Residency-A Story

Residency-A Story

Old Jun 7th 2017, 8:30 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Residency-A Story

UK regisgtered cars must be converted to Italian plates within a year, assuming you dont go back and forth for MOT - which as a resident you (technically) cannot. Switching dirving licence depends on the expiry date on your photocard.
Old Jun 7th 2017, 11:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Serrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by modicasa
Switching dirving licence depends on the expiry date on your photocard.
Not my understanding - the validity of your UK licence is either the date on the licence, or the date that would apply if it were an Italian licence, whichever comes earlier. This latter means: for under 50 10 years, over 50 & under 70 5 years, over 70 3 years, over 80 2 years - all from date of taking residency. And this is limited to groups A & B.

Where it gets rather unclear is with groups C & D. My UK licence included C1, C1E, D1 & D1E - and I presume most UK licences would be similar. These groups all have much shorter validity (for example all have 5 years for under 50s). Probably an under 50 would still be OK driving groups A & B for 10 years after residency, but equally probably not driving groups C & D. However I can imagine a particularly picky (or bored) policeman interpreting the entire licence as being invalid.
Old Jun 7th 2017, 6:32 pm
Forum Regular

arjacey has a brilliant futurearjacey has a brilliant futurearjacey has a brilliant futurearjacey has a brilliant futurearjacey has a brilliant futurearjacey has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by modicasa
UK regisgtered cars must be converted to Italian plates within a year, assuming you dont go back and forth for MOT - which as a resident you (technically) cannot. Switching dirving licence depends on the expiry date on your photocard.
Both cars will be MOT tested in the U.K. this year, residency later this year (hopefully) so we'll look at changing the plates after that or early next year.

My understanding is that the one off cost of doing this will be less than the cost of the annual trip back to the UK (we do like nice hotels, good food and six hour drive time although we will not be fleeced for a bottle of wine in Switzerland.)
Old Jun 7th 2017, 6:36 pm
Forum Regular

arjacey has a brilliant futurearjacey has a brilliant futurearjacey has a brilliant futurearjacey has a brilliant futurearjacey has a brilliant futurearjacey has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Serrano
Not my understanding - the validity of your UK licence is either the date on the licence, or the date that would apply if it were an Italian licence, whichever comes earlier. This latter means: for under 50 10 years, over 50 & under 70 5 years, over 70 3 years, over 80 2 years - all from date of taking residency. And this is limited to groups A & B.

Where it gets rather unclear is with groups C & D. My UK licence included C1, C1E, D1 & D1E - and I presume most UK licences would be similar. These groups all have much shorter validity (for example all have 5 years for under 50s). Probably an under 50 would still be OK driving groups A & B for 10 years after residency, but equally probably not driving groups C & D. However I can imagine a particularly picky (or bored) policeman interpreting the entire licence as being invalid.
So from this I take it that legally, as a 60 something I have 5 years to sort this out unless I am driving a steam traction engine!

Your thoughts are welcome although the understanding of the law by the Roberto that stops me is probably more important.

All could change over the next two years anyway. Possibly Hard Brexit will mean we have to sit in the left hand seat even though the steering wheel is on the right đŸ˜„
Old Jun 7th 2017, 7:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Serrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arjacey
So from this I take it that legally, as a 60 something I have 5 years to sort this out unless I am driving a steam traction engine!
Yes

Your thoughts are welcome although the understanding of the law by the Roberto that stops me is probably more important.
Yes again. It's all very well being right, but the time, hassle and expense of proving it is best avoided if possible.

All could change over the next two years anyway. Possibly Hard Brexit will mean we have to sit in the left hand seat even though the steering wheel is on the right đŸ˜„
I like it - but there is a serious point here. If the absolute worst-case scenario plays out (by which I mean the highly-unlikely scenario that mutual recognition of Driving Licences is stopped), you could, just could, find yourself having to take your test again. In Italian, of course. In the left-hand seat?
Old Jun 14th 2017, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

Ruby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond repute

Here's my good news residency story.
We have been here for 5 years so decided to go for permanent residency - it's not a requirement but we thought it might help safeguard our future here.
We had to make an appointment at the Anagrafe and go along with our original residence documents, carta d'identit� and copy of S1. The logic of taking the S1 escaped me since the Anagrafe had required sight of it to issue the original residence document but I wasn't arguing. We paid nearly €50 between us and and left with two 'Attestazione di soggiorno permanente'. Result!
Old Jun 14th 2017, 8:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ruby2
We have been here for 5 years so decided to go for permanent residency - it's not a requirement but we thought it might help safeguard our future here.
We had to make an appointment at the Anagrafe and go along with our original residence documents, carta d'identit� and copy of S1. The logic of taking the S1 escaped me since the Anagrafe had required sight of it to issue the original residence document but I wasn't arguing. We paid nearly €50 between us and and left with two 'Attestazione di soggiorno permanente'. Result!
Big congrats...
Old Jun 15th 2017, 5:51 am
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Lets hope that your permanent residency is still valid after June 2019
Old Jun 19th 2017, 4:17 pm
Forum Regular

Good news indeed, although we understand that the residency we are applying for is as a citizen of a member of the EU and this is stated on the final document (when/if we get it). Would this apply to the 'Attestazione di soggiorno permanente' as well? We could do this as we intend leaving in a box!

All bets could be off over the next two years anyway. Lets hope not shipmates! I flip from optimistic to pessimistic depending on the latest I read. I think one thing is sure, its going to be a 'una colazione di cani'

On our progress, we thought we were going to the Health Centre tomorrow but have heard nothing so maybe not

We have also heard from our vendor who has moved to another comune that he believes he has the documents he needs to apply for residency there. He thinks that should automatically remove him as a resident here (I don't believe that. There must be some photocopying, stapling and several signatures required at some point). This has been done locally at least three times in three different ways, verbally acknowledged as completed OK at the commune, but doesn't seem to have any effect. So, who knows...

Meanwhile were enjoying the weather
Old Jun 19th 2017, 5:55 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Good news indeed, although we understand that the residency we are applying for is as a citizen of a member of the EU and this is stated on the final document (when/if we get it). Would this apply to the 'Attestazione di soggiorno permanente' as well? We could do this as we intend leaving in a box!

All bets could be off over the next two years anyway. Lets hope not shipmates! I flip from optimistic to pessimistic depending on the latest I read. I think one thing is sure, its going to be a 'una colazione di cani'

On our progress, we thought we were going to the Health Centre tomorrow but have heard nothing so maybe not

We have also heard from our vendor who has moved to another comune that he believes he has the documents he needs to apply for residency there. He thinks that should automatically remove him as a resident here (I don't believe that. There must be some photocopying, stapling and several signatures required at some point). This has been done locally at least three times in three different ways, verbally acknowledged as completed OK at the commune, but doesn't seem to have any effect. So, who knows...

Meanwhile were enjoying the weather
The Attestazione is an Attestazione di Soggiorno Permanente per i Cittadini del Unione Europea. So technically, when we leave the EU, it will no longer be valid. I can't see Italy throwing anyone out, but there will probably be extra paperwork involved.

When the previous resident signs up at his new comune, they will pass on the cancellation of his old residency. He doesn't have to do anything else. Does work. I swear.
Old Jun 20th 2017, 5:14 am
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 37100
The Attestazione is an Attestazione di Soggiorno Permanente per i Cittadini del Unione Europea. So technically, when we leave the EU, it will no longer be valid. I can't see Italy throwing anyone out, but there will probably be extra paperwork involved.

When the previous resident signs up at his new comune, they will pass on the cancellation of his old residency. He doesn't have to do anything else. Does work. I swear.
Not always, when we switched comuni several years ago, the old one forgot to pass on some details. Chaos ensued when copies of marriage certificates required. My wife was married to me, but I wasn't married to her. Took them 20 years to sort it out!!
keep smiling,
'o nonno
Old Jun 20th 2017, 7:31 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ononno
Not always, when we switched comuni several years ago, the old one forgot to pass on some details. Chaos ensued when copies of marriage certificates required. My wife was married to me, but I wasn't married to her. Took them 20 years to sort it out!!
keep smiling,
'o nonno
20 years ago Ononno? We had problems then too. All over a comma. The new commune eventually phoned the old commune and had a flippin' row with us listening. Things have improved a lot now.

P.s Years ago, it took ten years to sought out my birth cert.
Old Jun 23rd 2017, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

Kevin_P is on a distinguished road

This type of post is really helpful. With some Italian language, we were also able to make arrangements with the commune re taxes. However, I agree it's when things don't go to plan that the issue of communication becomes the "problem". Re the residency application, my understanding is that there isn't an actual "residency" application - other than requiring a long stay visa i.e. over 3 months' stay - then the accumulation of 5 years' long stay entitles you to residency; have I got that wrong? I intend to apply for a long stay visa prior to Feb 2019 (see the reciprocal arrangements news re Brexit - detail to follow of course - as usual with this government). Can anyone advise on that process? Is it as argacey very helpfully explains? Kevin
Old Jun 23rd 2017, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

Kevin_P is on a distinguished road

Sorry, getting a bit confused with threads! Is the following correct: You would apply for extended residency (visa) at your commune ie to stay in Italy longer than 3 months; after 5 years' of extended stay, you are entitled to apply for residency?
Old Jun 23rd 2017, 10:55 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Kevin_P
Sorry, getting a bit confused with threads! Is the following correct: You would apply for extended residency (visa) at your commune ie to stay in Italy longer than 3 months; after 5 years' of extended stay, you are entitled to apply for residency?
We are applying for residency as we bought our house, our prima casa, with residency. As part of that contract, we need to have residency within 18 months or a higher level of tax on the property will be levied. This is our motivation so we haven't looked into what we would need to do to stay here if we were renting, say, or working. We are both retired and have funds to support ourselves.

Other posts have suggested we might have needed to something else. We have been to the comune several times and may have 'inadvertently' applied for and been given right to stay beyond 90 days! We are getting bills for TARI so the comune know we are here. Advice we have sought has confirmed that we have done everything we should have. The police have visited our house and have not demanded we leave and we are on 'smiling' terms with Gilda at the comune so all seems OK.

Like everybody else, I guess, we are watching what happens with Brexit. We're not encouraged with the recent offer of Settled Status after five years as, if this was reciprocal, we wouldn't be covered. However, we know Americans and Canadians who live here so I guess it would probably just mean more forms and signatures.

I wouldn't think staying here for five years and relying on automatic residency would be a good plan, even if that is possible/legal.

Health centre on Monday, whoop-whoop!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.