Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Renzi and the Planks

Renzi and the Planks

Old Jul 11th 2014, 11:21 am
BE Enthusiast

sunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renzi and the Planks

Originally Posted by ciquta
All the english people i know pay good money health insurance, we don't need to. .

sorry ciquta - I'm not sure if I have understand you correctly.

Are you saying that most British (you are possibly a bit premature with the English label - tho of course I know Italians' odd usage of this) folk 1: have private health insurance and 2: need to?

all the best - I like your posts by the way - thoughtful, interesting, facts, no signs of game-playing/point scoring.
Old Jul 11th 2014, 11:41 am
Forum Regular

fleetwoodmac1975 has a brilliant futurefleetwoodmac1975 has a brilliant futurefleetwoodmac1975 has a brilliant futurefleetwoodmac1975 has a brilliant futurefleetwoodmac1975 has a brilliant futurefleetwoodmac1975 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by highlander1
Inheritance tax is soo taxing that in 2012 20000 people paid this.

That is 0.033% of the UK population . Whao, something to loose sleep over it !.

Council tax is part financing at local level education, transport,police, fire brigade among other things and a lot of people are getting back more that they are inputting.
I wish you checked your sources better.
For the period 2011 2012 hmrc collected 2.9bn in iht. The source is hmrc itself.
Old Jul 11th 2014, 11:50 am
BE Enthusiast

highlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond repute

2.9 dived 20000.
Old Jul 11th 2014, 1:06 pm
Forum Regular

ciquta is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sunnysider
sorry ciquta - I'm not sure if I have understand you correctly.

Are you saying that most British (you are possibly a bit premature with the English label - tho of course I know Italians' odd usage of this) folk 1: have private health insurance and 2: need to?
No, sorry for my english.

I mean most of the BRITONS i know pay good money for health insurance.
And I know no italians paying any money for that because they can get one of the best health coverage for nearly free (the ticket is really a ridiculous amount of money and it's need to avoid people abusing the service).
Berlusconi himself went to public hospital when it was about his prostate.

I only pay highly specialized practitioners, getting a refund of about 20% in tax discount.
Old Jul 11th 2014, 1:23 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

And I know no italians paying any money for that because they can get one of the best health coverage for nearly free (the ticket is really a ridiculous amount of money and it's need to avoid people abusing the service).
Berlusconi himself went to public hospital when it was about his prostate.

I only pay highly specialized practitioners, getting a refund of about 20% in tax discount.
I beg to differ ciquta. I know loads of Italians who have private insurance. Nor is the ticket 'ridiculously' cheap when e.g. a chest ray costs €46 and privately €60.
Old Jul 11th 2014, 1:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

HADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, a huge number of Italians have private health insurance , for many it is included in their employment package. I have to pay a contribution and my employer tops up . They don't cover everything but they do reimburse the ticket and help out with the childrens dental braces and pay a part of any private treatment . I know several people ( including EU emoloyees ) who get totally free private health care as part of their contract .
Old Jul 11th 2014, 2:14 pm
Forum Regular

fleetwoodmac1975 has a brilliant futurefleetwoodmac1975 has a brilliant futurefleetwoodmac1975 has a brilliant futurefleetwoodmac1975 has a brilliant futurefleetwoodmac1975 has a brilliant futurefleetwoodmac1975 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by 37100
I beg to differ ciquta. I know loads of Italians who have private insurance. Nor is the ticket 'ridiculously' cheap when e.g. a chest ray costs €46 and privately €60.
Italians want to go private because they do not want to wait.
You know the concept of queues and Italians don't go well together.

They will not be happy at sitting on a waiting list for four months so they would rather go private.
Most Brits I know will happily wait their turn for an NHS hospital.

Having said that, the cost of private healthcare is ten times more in the UK compared to the continent.

Personally if one has the money and not well, why wait. If you can get something done quickly then pay for it.

Thats not to say that the Italian NHS is inadequate. imho it serves the population pretty well.
Old Jul 11th 2014, 2:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

Ciquta - I pay 71% when you include IRPEF, Regiinal IRPEF, comunal IRPEF etc - in the paper 10 days ago they annouced that the tax burden is in fact 71% as though it were some great surprise. I could have told them years ago. 'Most' Britons have private health care? No they don't. Nor do 'most' Italians.

You cant compare taxation and services between countries. Nor can you compare health systems. You either go public or private or a combination of the two. Italy is cheaper than the UK without a doubt, whether the service is better or worse depends where you are.
Old Jul 11th 2014, 2:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by HADENOUGHPIZZA
I agree, a huge number of Italians have private health insurance , for many it is included in their employment package. I have to pay a contribution and my employer tops up.
Never heard of that.
I had 3 urgent surgeries in Italy with a very high standard service and never paid a coin, maybe just the ridiculus ticket.

Said that, just let me point out that lower taxes doesn't necessailry mean you have more money to spend for your fancies nor a better lifestyle.
Old Jul 11th 2014, 3:05 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by modicasa
Ciquta - I pay 71% when you include IRPEF, Regiinal IRPEF, comunal IRPEF etc - in the paper 10 days ago they annouced that the tax burden is in fact 71% as though it were some great surprise.
You can't pay more than 43% IRPEF since it's the maximum rate (and good for you if you earn that much), regional and local doesn't account that much at all.
Italians newspapers are very good in cooking numbers, in fact the tax burden in Italy is around 44% being the european average on 39%.
Still not considering how many in our country doesn't pay all the taxes.

Originally Posted by modicasa
You cant compare taxation and services between countries. Nor can you compare health systems. You either go public or private or a combination of the two. Italy is cheaper than the UK without a doubt, whether the service is better or worse depends where you are.
I agree
Old Jul 11th 2014, 3:06 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fleetwoodmac1975
Italians want to go private because they do not want to wait.
You know the concept of queues and Italians don't go well together.

They will not be happy at sitting on a waiting list for four months so they would rather go private.
Most Brits I know will happily wait their turn for an NHS hospital.

Having said that, the cost of private healthcare is ten times more in the UK compared to the continent.

Personally if one has the money and not well, why wait. If you can get something done quickly then pay for it.

Thats not to say that the Italian NHS is inadequate. imho it serves the population pretty well.

Sorry, Fleetwoodmac, but going private because Italians do not want to wait is often not the case. Often, though not always, it's because there is no other choice. The chest xray I mentioned was done privately because of a one week wait. Not much, you'll say, and I'd agree normally, but this was urgent!! I could give you many more more important examples, but too personal for here. I do agree that if it's not urgent, wait and lots of Italians aren't prepared to do that.

Never heard of that.
I had 3 urgent surgeries in Italy with a very high standard service and never paid a coin, maybe just the ridiculus ticket.

Said that, just let me point out that lower taxes doesn't necessailry mean you have more money to spend for your fancies nor a better lifestyle.
Yes, despite having private insurance, due to the urgency, OH has also had several surgeries at a public hospital and had excellent care. Unlike my poor mum in the UK with the NHS.

Detto questo in English is 'that said'.
Old Jul 11th 2014, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

You can't pay more than 43% IRPEF since it's the maximum rate (and good for you if you earn that much), regional and local doesn't account that much at all.
Italians newspapers are very good in cooking numbers, in fact the tax burden in Italy is around 44% being the european average on 39%.
Still not considering how many in our country doesn't pay all the taxes.
Exactly.

And also one must consider IHT. Next to nil in Italy.
Old Jul 11th 2014, 7:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

sunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond repute

And I know no italians paying any money for that because they can get one of the best health coverage for nearly free (the ticket is really a ridiculous amount of money a
mm - I'm assuming from your reply that you mean British folk living in Britain.

To be honest, I think you maybe know quite a lot of well off Brits. I know the private healthcare companies have substantial customer lists but I wouldn't say that it is anything like the norm (as your sample seems to suggest) for Brits to use private rather than NHS care.

I also can't help thinking that your description of the "ticket" as negligible or is because you have an extremely good salary.

I also don't understand how you can describe the costs for tests etc in such a way since in another post you said that the 80E per month take break was so very vital for so many Italians. Some would consider 80E a small sum.

I know the Brit NHS is under severe pressure but I personally find the "ticket" appalling, especially in the context of taxes which are definitely not low (wherever they rank internationally) and seem to provide so little else. Paying for blood tests etc etc - I'd be appalled if that happened in Britain. The beginning of the end.

best regards
Old Jul 11th 2014, 7:27 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sunnysider
mm - I'm assuming from your reply that you mean British folk living in Britain.

To be honest, I think you maybe know quite a lot of well off Brits. I know the private healthcare companies have substantial customer lists but I wouldn't say that it is anything like the norm (as your sample seems to suggest) for Brits to use private rather than NHS care.

I also can't help thinking that your description of the "ticket" as negligible or is because you have an extremely good salary.

I also don't understand how you can describe the costs for tests etc in such a way since in another post you said that the 80E per month take break was so very vital for so many Italians. Some would consider 80E a small sum.

I know the Brit NHS is under severe pressure but I personally find the "ticket" appalling, especially in the context of taxes which are definitely not low (wherever they rank internationally) and seem to provide so little else. Paying for blood tests etc etc - I'd be appalled if that happened in Britain. The beginning of the end.

best regards
The ticket is to stop abuse and to stop people from asking for pointless blood tests every 5 minutes.
In the UK before a gp will offer a blood test (free) you have to display symptoms of some sort and even then you'll need repeat visits to the gp before a test is granted.
Old Jul 12th 2014, 4:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Apologies for typos in my post above - time has passed and cannot edit.

To clarify:

I also can't help thinking that your description of the "ticket" as negligible is because you have an extremely good salary. <STRAY WORD DELETED>

I also don't understand how you can describe the costs for tests etc in such a way since in another post you said that the 80E per month TAX break was so very vital for so many Italians. Some would consider 80E a small sum.

sorry

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.