Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Regret going back to the UK from Italy?

Regret going back to the UK from Italy?

Old Jan 8th 2009, 4:30 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Regret going back to the UK from Italy?

So it's full of natural ingredients like the statutory amount they can get away with and no prospects of another job in this climate then!

I can't imagine JL taking as big a hit as M&S but I could be wrong. famous last words and all that.
Old Jan 8th 2009, 5:50 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kenny and Moe
Steve,
again off topic but the weather is wet today and about 12 during the day and down to 2 or 3 at night, last weekend we had frost on the ground, a lot better than UK though. Can you give us a comment about the general feeling amongst the UK populus at the moment what with job cuts etc

Ariel,
sorry to read you are a little bit disillusioned with life in Napoli, fortunately where I live seems to be a lot cleaner than where you are. As for jobs you are probably right, very difficult around here. My daughter (in UK) is now bringing up her baby and things are not cheap for babies, luckily she has a job which provides child care so that's a bonus. Bear in mind the current state of UK, with a prediction of 130,000 job losses in the next 12 months, there may be few jobs around to go back to (skilled or non-skilled), and working 40 hours a week in UK (full time) is fairly normal. I think here is a lot better than UK at this time and the weather is tons better. Keep smiling.
Regards Kenny
I find it amazing to read that someone actually finds baby and kids' stuff cheaper here.

When mine were babies nearly everything was bloody Chicco or Pre-Ne-Tal and I hated their stuff and especuilly their prices. No way would I pay 8 euro for one non-drip cup when Superdrug sells them for less than £2.

I bought all the bottles, plastic dishes , cups, spoons, teats, dummies etc. in multi-save packs in the Uk. Not only was it cheaper but much of it was prettier and more practical too.

Now that they are older I buy their clothes in the UK. I refuse to pay 2 euro for one pair of tiny socks when I know that I can get 5 if not 7 pairs in Asda or Tesco for just £2.50.

Asda sells packs of 4 vests for just £2. They are 3 euro each in the supermarket here and crappy cotton too. That is just the basic essentials but when the sales are on in England there are some fabulous things to be had. My daughter's thick furry-lined winter coat cost me just £8 in the Next sale. Nowhere ever ever here have I seen a coat for anywhere near that price here. The Italian Mums seem to think they have got a bargain if they pay less than 30 euro for a good winter coat.

I think I have already mentioned the fab 60p jeans recently bought but that was in the last dregs of the Wollies sale - but hey - it worked for me !
Old Jan 8th 2009, 7:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice

On my Christmas trip to England I bought loads of baby clothes in the Asda sale for a friend. So cheap, and good quality.
Old Jan 8th 2009, 8:02 pm
Not Dun Roaming Just Yet

Kenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant future

There was a big thing on BFBS about it, 4 quid odd for a M&S sandwich, 1 pound odd out of Greggs, 14 quid odd for a platter of prawns the size of the palm of your hand, however the chairman did say they had 375 stores and were closing less than 10%, me thinks he may be eating his own words by summer. I hear Zavvi have managed to keep some of their shops open although online sales have stopped and anyone with vouchers is urged to use them NOW. Are they open to sell off the remaining stock from throughout UK and pay off the creditors Chaos utter chaos. Still wet and windy
Old Jan 11th 2009, 6:45 am
Forum Regular

nbrome is an unknown quantity at this point

I, too, bought all my kids' (4)clothes and equipment in the UK and USA. There is no comparison in price/quality.
M & S have always charged alot for their food. Their clothing costs however have been in line with other stores for some time now and the quality is excellent. My most recent buys were a couple of years ago. I bought summer Tshirts for 5 pounds and they will easily do me through a third summer, if not more. You can't find Tshirts for 8euros here except off the bancarelle and they will certainly be thrown away after the season.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 11:39 am
Rizlared

kevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to all

Just from another view, Not looking for sympathy, just saying how it is.

I was made redundant in Oct last year, from a well paid and professional position, not the slightest chance of finding suitable work here in the midlands, I work in Computers, the job centre is overwhelmed, and you're treated like a criminal, I now rent a small terraced house and today have been informed that I will no longer get full housing benefit, they are deducting 30 pounds a week from the payment as I have a two bed house and live alone, the fact my young kids stay at weekends is apparently not taken into account, so I now have to live on £30 per week to pay for food, phone, electricity gas etc, I am doing a course to become a teacher, no help from the government towards the cost of the course, in fact I was told that if I admitted to doing the course I would lose my benefits completely as I would "Not be available for work".

So I have learnt that lying is the only way to survive, what a great way to show as an example to our children. After 30 years of working full time, I wonder if any of it was worth it.

If I am to end up as a tramp, then maybe being in a warmer and more pleasant country is the best thing for me to do.
I utterly despair of this Government, wholesale lies and mismanagement have caused the collapse and I see no end to it.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 11:59 am
Forum Regular

lindaf is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Kevray

what teaching course are you doing? are you getting qualifications to work inside schools/colleges or doing ESOL/TFL courses?

My work is IT systems admin and I qualified as a teacher when I took vol redundancy about 8 years ago. The UK does seem to have a strange policy between saying it wants people to retrain and get new qualifications but not actually wanting them to do this. You'd think they'd be pleased that someone wants to put themselves through further qualifications.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 1:07 pm
Rizlared

kevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to all

Originally Posted by lindaf
Hi Kevray

what teaching course are you doing? are you getting qualifications to work inside schools/colleges or doing ESOL/TFL courses?

My work is IT systems admin and I qualified as a teacher when I took vol redundancy about 8 years ago. The UK does seem to have a strange policy between saying it wants people to retrain and get new qualifications but not actually wanting them to do this. You'd think they'd be pleased that someone wants to put themselves through further qualifications.
Yes its the TEFL course 120 hours plus a weekend hands on module, The college will find employment in various parts of the world, china, Philippines Taiwan etc but the closest to the Uk is Spain, they don't cover Italy, so I have to decide whether to go to somewhere in Italy that I have found already, or take pot luck on a job that could be anywhere in Spain, oh decisions decisions lol, then I need to think about ......... oh where does it stop lol
Old Jan 14th 2009, 1:17 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

I know you said the college cannot find emplyment in Italy for you but I just wanted to say that even though your college has no connections here, many of the private language schools will want TEFL anyway so it won't go to waste here if Italy really is your dream destination.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 1:36 pm
Rizlared

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
I know you said the college cannot find emplyment in Italy for you but I just wanted to say that even though your college has no connections here, many of the private language schools will want TEFL anyway so it won't go to waste here if Italy really is your dream destination.
Yes I have found that, I was told by the school I had an interview with, that they would pay 10 euro per hour, increasing to 15 when I get the certs, my concern is that can I live on 800 to 1200euro a month, the Spanish job would pay 1000 per month, Spain being cheaper to live in than Italy
Old Jan 14th 2009, 5:31 pm

I'm not sure how many people in the Spanish forum would agree with that lately.

Loads and loads more Brits in Spain as well so maybe less openings for a teacher.

Pros and cons everywhere aren't there?
Old Jan 14th 2009, 5:35 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kevray
Yes I have found that, I was told by the school I had an interview with, that they would pay 10 euro per hour, increasing to 15 when I get the certs, my concern is that can I live on 800 to 1200euro a month, the Spanish job would pay 1000 per month, Spain being cheaper to live in than Italy
Will definitely depend on which bit of Spain. South coast is same as here for most things, maybe a little cheaper in some areas. The big cities are like all big cities and just expensive.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 12:04 pm
Forum Regular

ballerina will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by TestaRossa
Will definitely depend on which bit of Spain. South coast is same as here for most things, maybe a little cheaper in some areas. The big cities are like all big cities and just expensive.
I moved back to England from Italy in August, and I have regretted it slightly. But not too much as I know I will be back soon enough!
I moved back mainly to get some professional qualifications I was a tour guide in Rome and it was a nightmare trying to find information about how to work 'legally' - I could rant on for ages about this but i'll spare you! Anyway, tourguiding was a brilliant job for me and paid so much better than teaching English, which is what i'd originally arrived in Italy to do.
So, I thought, a couple of years doing this course, which is a recognised qualification that i HOPE I can get converted for the Rome licence, and I thought that I could earn good money in London and save a little for when I came back.

I was so wrong! Despite having qualifications and work experience coming out of my ears, I have been unemployed since the day I returned. Life is so expensive here (although clothes are definitely much cheaper, more choice, better quality!) and it has been such a struggle. My ex collegues are still working in Rome - nobody has been deported or arrested for not having the correct permits to work as a guide.. I wonder sometimes if I just panicked too much. But on the whole, as I know I will be back permanently next year (if all goes to plan) so I don't miss it as much as I probably would have otherwise. I do know for sure that I do not want to bring children up in England, or for them to go to school in England.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 12:47 pm
The Original Red Head!

Good to hear from you! Not so good it isn't turning out how you hoped. But at least you have the qualification and, by the sound of it, a bigger wardrobe!

Keep in touch and let us know how things turn out. I have always heard the same about tour guiding - a friend here in Florence is one and she had to get her licence. I think she had to know about 3 or 4 languages which to me is the main hurdle as it is something I would love to do too. Always fancied it in London so it is sad to hear you aren't having any joy. Maybe you should do Ghost tours or something?!
Old Feb 24th 2009, 1:05 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

I have heard that here in Verona they frequently check if the tour guides are 'legal'. It's not too hard to check because it's only a 10 min walk from one side of the town centre to the other Unlike Rome I think.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.