Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

A question on Residence

A question on Residence

Old Jan 3rd 2018, 10:56 am
Forum Regular

Pailor is a jewel in the roughPailor is a jewel in the roughPailor is a jewel in the roughPailor is a jewel in the rough
Default A question on Residence

Hi,

I am probably being a bit stupid here, I know as a UK Citizen I can stay in Italy for 90 days without a Permesso.
But if I stayed for 90 days (or a couple of months, give or take), Could I then apply for residence or would I have to go back to UK and wait for 90 days before returning and applying for my permesso? I don't want to get into any bother and make the process even more difficult!

I've read somewhere that I should really apply for a Permesso within a week to eight days of arriving if I intend to stay long term...

Thanks in advance for any help!
Old Jan 3rd 2018, 12:59 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A question on Residence

Originally Posted by Pailor
Hi,

I am probably being a bit stupid here, I know as a UK Citizen I can stay in Italy for 90 days without a Permesso.
But if I stayed for 90 days (or a couple of months, give or take), Could I then apply for residence or would I have to go back to UK and wait for 90 days before returning and applying for my permesso? I don't want to get into any bother and make the process even more difficult!

I've read somewhere that I should really apply for a Permesso within a week to eight days of arriving if I intend to stay long term...

Thanks in advance for any help!
At the moment, Uk residente do not need to apply for a permesso. You need to apply for residency at your local comune -you are supposed to apply from day one, but not one is bothered if you don't. There is no need to return to the UK. To apply you will need proof of work or a minimum income. Without a job, you will also need to provide your own health insurance unless you have a UK pension.
Old Jan 3rd 2018, 2:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

You can do less than 90 days and then return for another 90 (none cumulative). But once up to 183 day you will be liable for tax in Italy i.e. cumulative within the tax year (Jan-Dec for Italy).
Old Jan 3rd 2018, 7:34 pm
Forum Regular

Pailor is a jewel in the roughPailor is a jewel in the roughPailor is a jewel in the roughPailor is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Geordieborn
You can do less than 90 days and then return for another 90 (none cumulative). But once up to 183 day you will be liable for tax in Italy i.e. cumulative within the tax year (Jan-Dec for Italy).
So are you saying that as long as I leave before my 90 days are up I can go back whenever I want and it won't cause a problem? I had assumed that I wouldn't be able to return for 3 months.... Must admit the 'cumulative and none cumulative thing is baffling me a bit....

I'm aware that if/when resident I will probably have to pay some tax (minus what's already been paid at source in UK), bit of a pain, but hopefully worth it.

I want to be able to spend at least a couple of months there before deciding if I want to stay full time.
Old Jan 4th 2018, 9:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

To be honest I doubt anyone will care if you are there more than 90 days, but in the current climate you never know. So, yes go and stay out of Italy for a night and come back and legally that’s fine. However, legally often makes no difference in Italy and if the local authorities decide you are not to their liking you could find they will do as they wish. Okay you can go down the legal route and get a result, but you would then still be living there under their kindly eye! Some might say 3 months (90 days) is long enough to decide if you want to stay, but I would agree it’s perhaps not long enough. Personally I would see coming back to the UK (my place of origin) as a good thing as it gives me the opportunity to compare and reflect and see how much I want to get back to Italy. On the other hand in your situation I may decide its less hassle to just apply for residency (which could take months) and in the end if I found I did not want to stay, then give it up!
Old Feb 12th 2018, 2:45 pm
Forum Regular

Kevin_P is on a distinguished road

This relates to applying for long term residency: I understand that I need to apply to my Comune to obtain a certificate (Attestato d'iscrizione Anagrafica). However, to apply for a Permesso di Soggiorno I apply through the post office. Can anyone please tell me the difference between these applications? Is one (former) for EU and the other for non-EU?
Old Feb 13th 2018, 5:04 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

If you are nonEU then you must have a Permesso di Soggiorno to stay in Italy. This involves quite a few euros, queues at the questura, fingerprinting, and an inordinate amount of time, and its valid for 1 year and then you start all over again. Once you have the PdS you can get residency. If you are EU then you go straight for the residency bit - until Brexit presumably - sidestepping the PdS.
Old Feb 13th 2018, 7:18 am
Forum Regular

Really helpful Modicasa and thankyou. Two other questions that you might be able to help me with? Do you know if its possible to pay into the SSN (Italian National Health)? ie can I cancel private insurance as soon as I have my PdS and pay into the SSN? Also, do I need to pas a language exam? (Or is that only for residency?) Thankyou again.
Old Feb 13th 2018, 7:26 am
Forum Regular

"pass" a language exam? I can't even pass an English exam!
Old Feb 13th 2018, 1:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kevin_P
"pass" a language exam? I can't even pass an English exam!
Currently- no language exam required
Old Feb 13th 2018, 1:36 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Pica. Is the language exam for citizenship?
Old Feb 13th 2018, 1:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kevin_P
Thanks Pica. Is the language exam for citizenship?
Yes, I think so. Residency in Italy is easily achievable but whether you want/need it is up to you. as far as I know (which isn't much) residency will make you tax liable but also reduces your utility bills, IMU (if your home in Italy is your Prima Casa) & house purchase tax so I suppose it depends on how much time you want to spend here and how much money.

Last edited by Pica; Feb 13th 2018 at 2:02 pm.
Old Feb 13th 2018, 2:20 pm
Forum Regular

That's great and thanks Pica.
Old Feb 14th 2018, 5:12 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

Whether you can get Italian state health insurance will depend on the region you choose to live in. You will need health insurance for the first 5 years you are here, unless you have a job contract (Italian), whether it is with a PdS or as a EU national. Currently there is no requirememnt for any proficiency in language for residency.
Old Feb 14th 2018, 8:05 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Modicasa,

So I can either have private health insurance or be signed up to the Italian NHS (making contributions)?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.