Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

pre paid credit card

pre paid credit card

Old Jan 20th 2011, 12:02 pm
Forum Regular

DaniL is an unknown quantity at this point
Default pre paid credit card

I don't trust myself with a real credit card again, which is a good Italian pre-paid to get? Poste pay seems pretty simple to use, I assume you can put money on it at the post office? I'm not sure I can handle doing transfers online, technical things in Italian panic me! O might be able to manage one that you can do at an ATM. Can you use a prepaid card for a mobile phone contract? I guess you can if it's got the security number on the back so you can use it online, but I ain't no expert on this stuff!
Old Jan 20th 2011, 12:15 pm
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: pre paid credit card

Originally Posted by DaniL
I don't trust myself with a real credit card again, which is a good Italian pre-paid to get? Poste pay seems pretty simple to use, I assume you can put money on it at the post office? I'm not sure I can handle doing transfers online, technical things in Italian panic me! O might be able to manage one that you can do at an ATM. Can you use a prepaid card for a mobile phone contract? I guess you can if it's got the security number on the back so you can use it online, but I ain't no expert on this stuff!
The CartaSi Club might be something for you. You don't even need a bank account for it. You can top it up from cashpoints and Sisal lottery desks.
Old Jan 21st 2011, 8:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Pecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to behold

It costs 1 euro to add money to your poste pay card regardless of the amount. I like the poste pay card because if I lose it or it is stolen there is a limited amount on the card. When I go to the UK I charge the card and use it in england.

To be honest I find it really easy. The only draw back is I have to top it up with the silly woman at the village post office.
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 6:56 am
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

I've found MPS to be a really helpful bank. I have their pre-paid electron so no good for a phone but I'm sure they have prepaid CC too. Btw, if that's all that's stopping you getting a phone contract go to Vodafone - they let me set up the monthly payments direct from my Italian bank account. The bank charges €1 per payment, still cheaper than the PO!
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 8:22 am
Forum Regular

DaniL is an unknown quantity at this point

I already have a vodafone conract bu I pay i from my English debit card and there's no money left in that account. My bank account here doesn't allow direct debits so I can't do that. I want to use it for online shopping as well, seeing as all my money is in Italy now.
PN - do they give you the postepay card there and then in the post office?
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 11:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Pecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to behold

I already have a vodafone conract bu I pay i from my English debit card and there's no money left in that account. My bank account here doesn't allow direct debits so I can't do that. I want to use it for online shopping as well, seeing as all my money is in Italy now.
PN - do they give you the postepay card there and then in the post office?
Yes but as usual there are loads of forms to be signed and I think the first card costs 5 euros, or it costs 5 euros but there is 5 euros of credit on it. Can't remember.

I use mine for buying on line and I know if a site is hacked and they get my card details there is never more than a couple of hundred on it, unless i am going to the uk
Old Jan 28th 2011, 7:26 am
Forum Regular

ballerina will become famous soon enough

Beware the Postepay card if you plan to use it to buy anything online in sterling or to take to England and use it (i know, who would, except me?)
I had the dilemma of having to pay for a load of stuff for my wedding in England but only having money in Euros and after considering really expensive bank transfers loaded with fees and risking carrying thousands in cash, i decided to use the postepay card. What a mistake! When we got back fromt he honeymoon I had a letter from Poste Italiane saying I owed them E220!!! It must have been from exchange rates/charges that i didn't know about. I'm sure it was all there in the small print, but honestly, who reads all that? I'm more annoyed that it took them so bloody long to calculate the charges and added them on after, leading me into the red on my card.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 3:12 pm
Just Joined

fresh is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello

Can anyone tell me if you can use the postepay card to book Ryanair flights?

Thank you
Old Feb 21st 2011, 3:34 pm
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

Have you tried looking at the drop down list of payment cards on their site?
Old Feb 21st 2011, 6:41 pm
Just Joined

fresh is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by duffer
Have you tried looking at the drop down list of payment cards on their site?
It says they accept Visa Electron, which is the network that Postepay uses, so I'm hoping it will be alright.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 7:42 pm
Forum Regular

giodafa will become famous soon enoughgiodafa will become famous soon enough

I've tried using visa electron a few times and they never accept it , so I got a prepaid mastercard from my bank
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 7:43 am
Forum Regular

Cashmere Kate is just really niceCashmere Kate is just really niceCashmere Kate is just really niceCashmere Kate is just really niceCashmere Kate is just really niceCashmere Kate is just really niceCashmere Kate is just really niceCashmere Kate is just really nice

Originally Posted by fresh
It says they accept Visa Electron, which is the network that Postepay uses, so I'm hoping it will be alright.
Ryanair WILL accept Postepay, but you'll have to pay credit card charges for it. It used to be free with Visa Electron but the only way not to pay charges now is to get a pre-paid Mastercard.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 7:49 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by giodafa
I've tried using visa electron a few times and they never accept it , so I got a prepaid mastercard from my bank
Never managed it either, but it turned out that the fault was with the cards.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 8:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Cashmere Kate
Ryanair WILL accept Postepay, but you'll have to pay credit card charges for it. It used to be free with Visa Electron but the only way not to pay charges now is to get a pre-paid Mastercard.
Didn't know that had changed. I used my postepay card with Ryanair in November. There was no additional charges.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 8:22 am
Forum Regular

Cashmere Kate is just really niceCashmere Kate is just really niceCashmere Kate is just really niceCashmere Kate is just really niceCashmere Kate is just really niceCashmere Kate is just really niceCashmere Kate is just really niceCashmere Kate is just really nice

Originally Posted by Pecora Nera
Didn't know that had changed. I used my postepay card with Ryanair in November. There was no additional charges.
It's been like that for over a year. See here: http://www.ryanair.com/en/news/maste...payment-method

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.