Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Pointless English

Pointless English

Old Feb 2nd 2015, 8:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

sunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pointless English

Ps

The only answer to un giorno di happy meetings is a machine gun.
Old Feb 2nd 2015, 8:26 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunnysider
Yes, english has been cool for a long long time - the language of popular culture, youth culture and rock and roll.

I well remember being in communist hungary seeing a dodgy band singer introducing a song with a load of impenetrable hungarian (what other sort is there?) And then screaming f*** o** as they let the guitars rip.

Just wait till your kids and their friends start on the cook brit swearing.
Don't worry. A lot of her mates already use the English acronyms in messages because they know damn well that their parents don't know what they mean. Once upon a time all they used was 'cazzo' - 'xchè' (perchè) and 'TVB' (ti voglio bene). Now they use WTF, WGAF, FO, FU, Bitch, Nerd and other useful and admiring expressions. Twenty years ago I saw a huge, scrawly, spray painted squiggle on an Italian wall that read, "**** Da Police." We have come on in the world. Most kids these days know how to spell THE.
Old Feb 2nd 2015, 8:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

sunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond repute

Wgaf?

Can guess the f maybe but the rest?
Old Feb 2nd 2015, 8:57 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Wgaf?

Can guess the f maybe but the rest?
Who gives a ....
Old Feb 2nd 2015, 9:04 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
English is dead cool right now Sunnysider. More than cool, it's trendy. Not trendy though - just "è la trend". A bit like when the girls were into vintage clothes last year, except it wasn't vintage as we say it, it was vint-arge. Today my son learnt how to do a beck-flip at parkour and my daughter was told that her school is organising "un giorno di happy day meetings" for future students. I kill them if they ever come home with Italianised pronunciations of English words, but as my daughter pointed out one day; "Mum, I know it's vintage and AC/DC and U2 and that we have to say the H in words like Hobbit because it's not The Obbit and the Otel, but if I say these things the proper way, my Italian friends don't know what or who I'm talking about - apart from omitting the H which just sounds wrong even to me." She can't bring herself to tell her friends that she has already watched the new "L'Obbit" film and that she wants to see the new "L'Unger Games".
Yes, english has been cool for a long long time - the language of popular culture, youth culture and rock and roll.

I well remember being in communist hungary seeing a dodgy band singer introducing a song with a load of impenetrable hungarian (what other sort is there?) And then screaming f*** o** as they let the guitars rip.

Just wait till your kids and their friends start on the cook brit swearing.
By the end of the century most of Europe will be predominantly English speaking.

Over the period that I visited Italy regularly, from the mid 1980's to the early 00's, English in Italy went from being barely spoken to fairly widely spoken in the main tourist areas, and by then I noticed that many hording/ print adverts were entirely in English. Germany has gone through the same transition. And every sign is that not only has the trend continued, it has accelerated.

Soon parents in Italy will be doing what Dutch parents have been doing for several decades, and I suspect many German parents are now doing: speaking English at home so that their children will grow up speaking English.

I suspect that the Dutch will go down in history as the first nation to effectively abolish their own language as it is already impossible to get a degree in the Netherlands, or a job with any major employer, without being fluent in English. As such it is hard to find anyone in the Netherlands who doesn't speak English. Most Dutch seem to speak English better than many English people.
Old Feb 3rd 2015, 5:23 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

The difference is that in Holland and northern countries tv is either the BBC or is broadcast in English. Italy is the only country that as a political choice to keep the dumb classes dumb, has pointedly produced appalling tv solely in Italian. Now, with Sky and belatedly mediaset premium, you can watch programmes in original language, but if you have free tv it is still not possible. As to why it's cool- when the parents can speak fluently, it won't be any more. I hate the way the F word in Italy is used with such gay abandon - they really dont get the fact that its not a word you can drop into a conversation with your gran. With my students in Naples I used to tell them it was worse than calling your mate a sonofabitch - which in the south is the worst possible insult, and they were a bit more circumspect.
As to acronyms - they are vile, another way of pretending to know English without learning it - which seems to be in vogue for most of the world these days. In 50 years, although as Pulaski says most of Europe will speak English, it will be a bastardised, post Americanised version that will make no sense. If you can't construct a sentence properly what is the point of speaking the same language if people cant understand you? Only the Finns will speak English properly; already they speak it better than the English.

Last edited by modicasa; Feb 3rd 2015 at 5:26 am.
Old Feb 3rd 2015, 7:20 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
By the end of the century most of Europe will be predominantly English speaking.

Over the period that I visited Italy regularly, from the mid 1980's to the early 00's, English in Italy went from being barely spoken to fairly widely spoken in the main tourist areas, and by then I noticed that many hording/ print adverts were entirely in English. Germany has gone through the same transition. And every sign is that not only has the trend continued, it has accelerated.

Soon parents in Italy will be doing what Dutch parents have been doing for several decades, and I suspect many German parents are now doing: speaking English at home so that their children will grow up speaking English.

I suspect that the Dutch will go down in history as the first nation to effectively abolish their own language as it is already impossible to get a degree in the Netherlands, or a job with any major employer, without being fluent in English. As such it is hard to find anyone in the Netherlands who doesn't speak English. Most Dutch seem to speak English better than many English people.
Yet, when they are here, Lake Garda, they often refuse to speak English unless they have to. When holidaying here, they expect their service to be in Dutch. I wonder, is the Dutch language fighting back?

Originally Posted by modicasa
The difference is that in Holland and northern countries tv is either the BBC or is broadcast in English. Italy is the only country that as a political choice to keep the dumb classes dumb, has pointedly produced appalling tv solely in Italian. Now, with Sky and belatedly mediaset premium, you can watch programmes in original language, but if you have free tv it is still not possible.
I only have free TV in Turin, but I can get original language. Admittedly, I rarely watch tv so I dont know what proportion has the option. Don't know about state TV. Except for the news, I rarely watch it.
Old Feb 3rd 2015, 8:43 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Pulaski

I certainly hope not because the standard is so poor, even among those with a 'better' education. It's easier for the Dutch to switch to English becuase of the similarities in phonetics and intonation - certainly not so for Italians who usually find it easier to 'switch' to, say, Spanish, although even then they make a lot of mistakes.
Plus all this talk about teaching in English in universities is rubbish - I happened to hear a lesson on mathematics (or statistics) on the Pegaso channel recently given by an Italian professore (naturally not exactly a sping chicken) and his English was dreadful. What's the point? They do some courses in English at my daughter's uni but at least they get native-speaker professori in to hold them.

Btw on the subject of telly in English I happened by chance on The Three Musketeers (?) the other night on Italia1 (satellitare not Sky) and also accidentally discovered you can switch to lingua originale. I'm not sure how many programmes are being broadcast in this way though.
Old Feb 3rd 2015, 9:13 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

Btw on the subject of telly in English I happened by chance on The Three Musketeers (?) the other night on Italia1 (satellitare not Sky) and also accidentally discovered you can switch to lingua originale.

I can't. RAi and Mediaset channels dont offer original language - isnt that strange?
Old Feb 3rd 2015, 9:28 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

Btw on the subject of telly in English I happened by chance on The Three Musketeers (?) the other night on Italia1 (satellitare not Sky) and also accidentally discovered you can switch to lingua originale.

I can't. RAi and Mediaset channels dont offer original language - isnt that strange?
Do you have a button on your normal remote control that allows you to switch audio? It's worked for me on a couple of Mediaset telefilm.
Old Feb 3rd 2015, 9:42 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkRD
Do you have a button on your normal remote control that allows you to switch audio? It's worked for me on a couple of Mediaset telefilm.
I don't. Its an older TV. I have to switch the language on the TV's menu.
Old Feb 3rd 2015, 10:01 am
BE Forum Addict

I have only sky, so use the sky remote to change language on everything, but it doesnt offer original language on Rai or Mediaset... clever rupert murdoch marketing perhaps.....
Old Feb 3rd 2015, 5:05 pm
Forum Regular

Pinco Pallino has a reputation beyond reputePinco Pallino has a reputation beyond reputePinco Pallino has a reputation beyond reputePinco Pallino has a reputation beyond reputePinco Pallino has a reputation beyond reputePinco Pallino has a reputation beyond reputePinco Pallino has a reputation beyond reputePinco Pallino has a reputation beyond reputePinco Pallino has a reputation beyond reputePinco Pallino has a reputation beyond reputePinco Pallino has a reputation beyond repute

Italy is the only country that as a political choice to keep the dumb classes dumb, has pointedly produced appalling tv solely in Italian.
I always thought that this practice dated back to the Fascist era / the early days of newsreels and 'talkies', and was used as a means of exercising censorship and practising propaganda. (I think that the same might also have been true in Spain and Germany.)

It always appals me that Italian actors who dub / do voiceovers can become minor celebrities just for 'being the voice of' 'Tom Crooiz' or 'Eddi Merfey' or 'Merrill Strip' etc. I guess that nobody in the 'biz' has ever wanted the dubbing industry in Rome not to thrive at the expense of potentially educational and relatively inexpensive subtitling.
Old Feb 3rd 2015, 5:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pinco Pallino
I always thought that this practice dated back to the Fascist era / the early days of newsreels and 'talkies', and was used as a means of exercising censorship and practising propaganda. (I think that the same might also have been true in Spain and Germany.)

It always appals me that Italian actors who dub / do voiceovers can become minor celebrities just for 'being the voice of' 'Tom Crooiz' or 'Eddi Merfey' or 'Merrill Strip' etc. I guess that nobody in the 'biz' has ever wanted the dubbing industry in Rome not to thrive at the expense of potentially educational and relatively inexpensive subtitling.
Dubbing was a legal requirement until about 1980, fascist law not repealed or modified until then.
Old Feb 3rd 2015, 5:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

chris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nice

but it doesnt offer original language on Rai or Mediaset... clever rupert murdoch marketing perhaps.....
Both RAI and mediaset (and a few other oddball channels) offer original sound track on some programs. Either inside your TV set up menu under audio settings or (if more modern) via a button on the remote. Mostly films and things like CSI

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.