Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Pointless English

Pointless English

Old Jan 26th 2015, 7:39 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of
Default Re: Pointless English

Originally Posted by sunnysider
Missed this - anyone got a link?

At this rate i'll be seeing "expresso"

Still a fair few of those signs around britain

Verybello.it

There's a UK flag with 'COMING SOON' written next to it. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

P.S. Franceschini's band in The Economist.

Last edited by MarkRD; Jan 26th 2015 at 7:44 am.
Old Jan 26th 2015, 8:20 am
BE Enthusiast

sunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Mark.

Truly shocking.

I can understand why they didn't want to label the thing bellissima - it would have been lazy/cliched.

But they should just have used another Italian phrase/redesgned the page/earned their money.

Horrible.

I dread to think where this will end - if they aren't careful Italians will end up talking like a foreigner crucifying their language welcoming foreigners to the tourist sights who speak "perfect" Tuscan Italian.
Old Jan 26th 2015, 7:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

primularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkRD
What I don't get is the obsession in Italy with having to translate everything into usually bad English (or French)..
Very often it's the fault of the journalists.....it's them who spread around English words when not necessary....and then they become common terminology replacing Italian one.

One for all: e-mail - often only "mail" (which is wrong in my opinion: if you talk of "electronic mail" you should use "e-mail"). Why not "posta elettronica" o "messaggio di posta elettronica"? God knows.

But there are more serious problems in life! :-)
Old Jan 29th 2015, 10:02 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Here are a few that you probably already know:

Top 15 English words reinvented by Italians The Local
Old Jan 29th 2015, 10:23 am
BE Enthusiast

chris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nice

One thing I hate seeing is "No Stop" instead of Non Stop, mostly used for shop opening times etc. Just try convincing them it’s wrong.

Another thing, some years ago Alenia Space had an experiment called the tethered satellite system, they always pronounced the word tethered as te-the-red, to this day they insist their pronunciation of the word is correct!
Old Jan 29th 2015, 10:25 am
BE Enthusiast

sunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that Lorna.

I see it includes that favourite "sexy shop".

Though not one of my journalistic faves (now rather dated) - tilt/in tilt. Anyone at all young, even Italian, must wonder about the origin.
Old Jan 29th 2015, 10:34 am
BE Enthusiast

primularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris120
Another thing, some years ago Alenia Space had an experiment called the tethered satellite system, they always pronounced the word tethered as te-the-red, to this day they insist their pronunciation of the word is correct!
For most of the Italians, English has been learned as a written language and not as a spoken language. This is particularly true for those that use English in science and technology: we read papers, books, and so on but we seldom speak that language.
This has two consequenses: one, positive, is that Italians do less spelling mistakes in writing, compared also to many British. The other is that very often we don't have a clue of how to pronounce many words, due *also* (I would say *mainly*) to the fact that pronouciation rules are not so clear and univoque as they are in Italian.
Old Jan 29th 2015, 11:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by primularossa
one, positive, is that Italians do less spelling mistakes in writing, compared also to many British. .

quite possibly true. Though I suppose folk of any nationality writing a foreign language are perhaps more likely to check themselves since they still feel in school mode.
Old Jan 29th 2015, 11:16 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Here are a few that you probably already know:

Top 15 English words reinvented by Italians The Local
Good summary. Pity about the sexist comment on 'slip', but we'll let that one, er, slip by...
Old Jan 29th 2015, 11:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Pity about the sexist comment on 'slip', but we'll let that one, er, slip by...
??
Old Jan 29th 2015, 11:41 am
Forum Regular

britaly00 is a jewel in the roughbritaly00 is a jewel in the roughbritaly00 is a jewel in the roughbritaly00 is a jewel in the rough

Baby park? If this has the same function as a creche, why don't they adopt it. I suppose English is trendier.
Old Jan 29th 2015, 11:51 am
BE Forum Addict

??
"Slip. Few women bother with them anymore....."
Old Jan 29th 2015, 11:58 am
Forum Regular

britaly00 is a jewel in the roughbritaly00 is a jewel in the roughbritaly00 is a jewel in the roughbritaly00 is a jewel in the rough

Ah, the joys of going commando.
Old Jan 29th 2015, 1:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sorry mark, i don't see how that is "sexist". I thought the writer was just saying that few women use what the brits TRADITIONALLY call a slip was used any more. Whereas the italians, so the writer says, use the word to describe knickers. On the final point i'll bow to folks' in the field knowledge if the writer is wrong.
Old Jan 29th 2015, 1:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sorry mark, i don't see how that is "sexist". I thought the writer was just saying that few women use what the brits TRADITIONALLY call a slip was used any more. Whereas the italians, so the writer says, use the word to describe knickers. On the final point i'll bow to folks' in the field knowledge if the writer is wrong.
OK, but it's ambiguous. Or maybe just me ...
Any views on this Duffer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.