Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Petition for Airlines to Give More Choice To Calabria

Petition for Airlines to Give More Choice To Calabria

Old May 20th 2008, 8:30 am
Forum Regular

Andys2k is just really niceAndys2k is just really niceAndys2k is just really niceAndys2k is just really niceAndys2k is just really niceAndys2k is just really niceAndys2k is just really niceAndys2k is just really nice
Default Re: Petition for Airlines to Give More Choice To Calabria

More flight choices from the Uk to Lamezia

Go on, sign it. You know you want to!
Old May 20th 2008, 8:59 am
Forum Regular

Beep is a jewel in the roughBeep is a jewel in the roughBeep is a jewel in the roughBeep is a jewel in the rough

I'd like a direct flight from Verona to Dublin so I didnt have to go via Stanstead...finding one cheap flight on Ryanair is hard enough.....but finding two that match dates is well nigh impossible..but I'll sign the petition anyway
Old May 21st 2008, 12:13 pm
Forum Regular

TYKE2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear Mrs Teapot

The petition is an atempt to raise awareness with airlines that there is an exceptional high demand for flights from the UK to Southern Italy.
As there is already a direct flight option from London Stansted we opted to specifcaly target the northern airports.
Signatories so far have added their own preferences e.g. Gatwick,Bristol,Liverpool,Cardif,East Midlands,Birmingham,Doncaster,Newcastle and especially Manchester and Glasgow.
So come on and join us. Extra options wherever they may come to be can only benefit those of us who travel to Calabria regularly.

Tyke
Old May 22nd 2008, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

Default 300 Signatures

Hi all

We have now reached the 300 signature mark and the rate of signatures being added is accelerating.
BMI baby have announced that they will be expanding their Manchester operations so hopefully they will look at new routes rather than replicating the other airlines routes to Venice,Milan,Verona etc.
Thanks to those who have supported the petition so far and newcomers are very welcome

Tyke
Old Jul 19th 2008, 10:22 am
Forum Regular

Due to popular demand. The petition has been expanded to specifically include various other Uk airports including Southwest England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland.

Now nearing the 400 signature mark.

Tyke
Old Jul 20th 2008, 1:14 pm
Forum Regular

MrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond repute

OKAY - tis done.

Can I just let you know why I think Thomson Fly pulled out of Manchester and Gatwick to Lamezia?

I was booked onto one of the two problem Thomson Fly flights from Lamezia to Gatwick last July. (The other plane was for Manchester).

Both planes developed technical faults of a very similar nature (bit worrying lol). After many hours of beaurocracy the Manchester flight eventually took off. Then the Italian authorities would not allow the technician who mended the first plane (minor problem allegedly) to then mend the Gatwick plane. All that was required was a technician to 'flick a switch' but it had to be someone who was certified. The technician had been allowed to fix the first and larger plane to Manchester, but was not allowed to fix the plane to Gatwick. Faxes and phone calls apparently flew back and forth between Thomson Fly and the authorities at Lamezia. It was refused and we had to wait an extra day for the correctly certified engineer to fly out from the UK to flick the switch.

In the meantime, all the passengers (including Manchester for the first few hours) were stuck in the departures lounge, on the hottest day of the year, with hardly any money for drinks. The Air Con could not keep up with the heat either.

The Thomson Fly staff told us that problems with the authorities at Lamezia was a frequent problem. Some of the T.Fly staff were crying. Some were due at Weddings/family gatherings. One missed their holiday flight.

Shortly after this Thomson Fly pulled out of Lamezia from both Manchester and Gatwick.

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather get on a plane that was fixed by a certified engineer - I just wanted to point out that perhaps the situation with the authorities at Lamezia was a problem.

Also note that both flights appeared to be full.
Old Aug 12th 2008, 8:29 pm
Just Joined

carefreebrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Has anybody contacted any of the budget airlines to see if they are thinking about new routes or if they have actually investigated and decided not to ?
A look at skyscanner showed me that most of the flights from Lamezia went to Germany, whilst your nearest airport for a variety of UK destinations is Rome ! Is there a good commercial reason why there are not more flights ?
I have lived in Bulgaria for a few years, and there are two big airports Sofia and Varna at opposite ends of the country. Despite many Brits flying to visit their houses, and on inspection trips, First Choice stopped flying from several UK airports saying there was a lack of customer numbers. It seems that you need a lot of people in order for it to be viable for an airline, and I wonder if in fact there is enough demand all year round ? Also, do you really want planeloads of Brits invading you, pushing up property prices or coming for stag parties ?
Old Aug 13th 2008, 8:23 am
down under where

treskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carefreebrit
Has anybody contacted any of the budget airlines to see if they are thinking about new routes or if they have actually investigated and decided not to ?
A look at skyscanner showed me that most of the flights from Lamezia went to Germany, whilst your nearest airport for a variety of UK destinations is Rome ! Is there a good commercial reason why there are not more flights ?
I have lived in Bulgaria for a few years, and there are two big airports Sofia and Varna at opposite ends of the country. Despite many Brits flying to visit their houses, and on inspection trips, First Choice stopped flying from several UK airports saying there was a lack of customer numbers. It seems that you need a lot of people in order for it to be viable for an airline, and I wonder if in fact there is enough demand all year round ? Also, do you really want planeloads of Brits invading you, pushing up property prices or coming for stag parties ?

Quite right too - expats eh? - who'd have 'em
Old Aug 13th 2008, 10:16 am
Banned

stanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by treskillard
Quite right too - expats eh? - who'd have 'em

Yorkshire
Old Aug 14th 2008, 11:35 am
Forum Regular

Hopefully as Italy is a long established holiday location, based upon culture and lifestyle, where drink is not very cheap and drinking culture is a glass of wine with dinner - hoards of marauding beer monsters will not be drawn here. I did not see any nightclubs etc when I have visited.