Reload this Page >

Permesso di Soggiorno

Permesso di Soggiorno

Old Jun 22nd 2017, 7:34 pm
Just Joined

SHalstead is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Permesso di Soggiorno

Hi all.

Apologies if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find a thread that answered my question.
I am moving to Italy in September from England and have a job lined up ready to start.
They have requested that I send over the details of my Permesso di Soggiorno, but I currently do not have one.
Is there anyway to apply for the Permesso di Soggiorno before moving to Italy or does this have to be done when in the country?
I have been on a few comune websites and have seen they explain the process when in the country, but no mention of anything else.
This is my first time of moving outside of England so I really don't know if something like this physically can be done outside of the country!

Thank you in advance!

Simon
Old Jun 22nd 2017, 7:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Serrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Permesso di Soggiorno

Originally Posted by SHalstead
Hi all.

Apologies if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find a thread that answered my question.
I am moving to Italy in September from England and have a job lined up ready to start.
They have requested that I send over the details of my Permesso di Soggiorno, but I currently do not have one.
Is there anyway to apply for the Permesso di Soggiorno before moving to Italy or does this have to be done when in the country?
I have been on a few comune websites and have seen they explain the process when in the country, but no mention of anything else.
This is my first time of moving outside of England so I really don't know if something like this physically can be done outside of the country!

Thank you in advance!

Simon
From your name and the relatively few details you have given I very much get the impression that you are a British Citizen. Assuming that to be the case, you do NOT need a Permesso di Soggiormno, as they are only for non-EU citizens. But before describing the process, could you please confirm that you are a British (or other EU state) Citizen. Thanks.
Old Jun 22nd 2017, 8:33 pm
Just Joined

I am British, living in Portsmouth and looking to move to Milan.
Old Jun 23rd 2017, 5:20 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

Since 2007 you do not need a PdS - your employer is a bit behind the times - or ahead of them! Mind you its not new, the last time the carabinieri stopped me for a control they wanted to see my PdS and couldnt understnad why I didnt have one, 'becasuse the UK isnt in Europe'.
Old Jun 23rd 2017, 6:15 am
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SHalstead
I am British, living in Portsmouth and looking to move to Milan.
Welcome to Italy. You'll enjoy Milano if you're relatively young. Have a niece up there in the fog, early 20's, and she's loving it.
Your post about permesso di soggiorno does give me the opportunity to have a little rant. Because I'm furious at the way no one has bothered to explain to the average Brit. the true meaning of 'freedom of movement'.They don't understand that in the rest of Europe freedom of movement doesn't mean freedom of establishment. In EU states, such as Italy, after your 90 days freedom of movement are up you need to prove you have an address, money or a job, and some form of health insurance.In the UK there is no formal national ID card, nor indeed any need to inform the 'authorities' where you have decided to live. In Europe everybody has to carry official ID, so the authorities always know where you are. The fact that the UK is not in the Schengen agreement means that the moment you enter Italy from UK, your passport enters you in the system. Lots more besidmoderes, but won't bore you further. So you see the problem is not freedom of movement, nor indeed
immigration, but the UK's centuries old tradition of personal freedoms.
Like modicasa I've even had to queue for a permesso di soggiorno as late as 2008.
Good luck in Milano, and don't worry you'll be fine.
ciao for now,
'o nonno
Old Jun 23rd 2017, 7:11 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Simon and welcome to the forum.

The other guys are all right. The "permesso" for EU citizens was scrapped in 2007. Your future boss knows nothing about it anyway as even when we did need one, it was applied for in Italy only in a place called the "questura".

Bring your passport with you (obviously) and also your birth certificate. If you don't have it, order one now here:

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

It costs about £10 and they post the certificate to you.

Get half a dozen passport sized photos done in the photo booth in Asda or somewhere. You'll need some here eventually and they are cheaper in the UK. Bring t-bags if you're a tea drinker and bring cheap medicines like Ibuprofen or Paracetamol. If you're registered with a dentist, get a check up or a clean before you come. Dentists here are thieves.

If you have a proper, legal, Italian work contract and not some cash in hand job for a language school, you'll be able to apply for residency in the local town hall/council offices with that and also register for the Italian health care system .... this is because with a proper, legal contract you'll automatically be paying for health insurance directly from your wage packet.

Don't be surprised if plenty Italians tell you that this is all bullshit because we are all brexit now and not in Europe any more. You'll have to remind them all that brexit was voted for but nothing has been finalised and until it is, we are still a part of Europe.

Just shout out if you have any more questions.
Old Jun 23rd 2017, 9:36 am
Just Joined

Thank you to everyone for your responses! I have been speaking with my girlfriend and her family (who are Italian and live in Italy) and they always keep telling me "it's really not an urgent thing" or "no-one will come looking" so at least that may give me the time to sort this!
Old Jun 23rd 2017, 9:50 am
Forum Regular

Kevin_P is on a distinguished road

Hi Simon,

My wife and I have a house about an hours' drive from Milan. We're also from Portsmouth. Happy to advise if I can. Not sure re work visas but for a long stay visa I think approaching your Commune is the place to start. You may be required to demonstrate private health care and sufficient (financial) funds. Happy to chat off line. Kevin