Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Pension from UK and Italy

Pension from UK and Italy

Old Feb 8th 2017, 7:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pension from UK and Italy

Originally Posted by robbyasti
....Voluntary NI contributions paid in The UK while working in Italy are not counted by INPS....
It's very good of you to come back to everyone with the information. Just for clarity, no overlapping contributions are counted by either country, hence vol. conts paid in the UK while in Italy are not used. But say you did not work in Italy (or in the UK if the other way around) for the first year or more, then that year or more the contribution(s) would be used it the other country. In your case they will be used to calculate your UK pension, based on UK contributions only. In most cases I've looked at it is rare paying voluntary UK contributions is of much use - it's a gamble on how long you will live... There are however exceptions!
Old Feb 8th 2017, 7:20 pm
Just Joined

robbyasti is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Pension from UK and Italy

Originally Posted by Geordieborn
It's very good of you to come back to everyone with the information. Just for clarity, no overlapping contributions are counted by either country, hence vol. conts paid in the UK while in Italy are not used. But say you did not work in Italy (or in the UK if the other way around) for the first year or more, then that year or more the contribution(s) would be used it the other country. In your case they will be used to calculate your UK pension, based on UK contributions only. In most cases I've looked at it is rare paying voluntary UK contributions is of much use - it's a gamble on how long you will live... There are however exceptions!
Yes, no overlapping contributions are counted. I didn't work in Italy for my first two years here, so the voluntary NI contributions for those years will be counted by INPS.