Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Pension contributions made both in UK and Italy

Pension contributions made both in UK and Italy

Old Jan 17th 2009, 7:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice
Default Pension contributions made both in UK and Italy

Does anyone know what happens when you have made state pension contributions both in Italy and England. What happens when it comes to claiming your pension?

Old Jan 18th 2009, 7:33 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pension contributions made both in UK and Italy

Originally Posted by .Ariel.
Does anyone know what happens when you have made state pension contributions both in Italy and England. What happens when it comes to claiming your pension?

For italy, no
But in the UK you must apply to the DWP 6 months before your pension is due. At that time you can also apply for your forums for getting your full health cover in Italy.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 7:55 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by .Ariel.

For me in France, my local French Pensions Office contacted Newcastle to make sure I'd contributed for enough years in the UK and in France (to get the French pension), and they sorted things out between them. I signed the UK papers which Newcastle sent and the two pensions arrive separately. I imagine that the procedure is the same in Italy, and you should contact your local National Pensions Office 6 months before retiring.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 1:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

chris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nice

I am in this situation and i recently asked for a pension statement from the UK and also visited my local INPS office. The INPS office records reflected exactly my UK contribution record back to the 1960s plus my more recent Italian contributions. They told me that i would be paid an Italian pension on retirement IAW the years of Italian contributions and a portion of UK state retirement benefit. I have an unusual situation in that i continued to pay voluntary UK contribution whilst paying mandatory Italian ones and my UK contribution record exceeds the requirement for a full pension.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 3:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice

Originally Posted by chris120
I am in this situation and i recently asked for a pension statement from the UK and also visited my local INPS office. The INPS office records reflected exactly my UK contribution record back to the 1960s plus my more recent Italian contributions. They told me that i would be paid an Italian pension on retirement IAW the years of Italian contributions and a portion of UK state retirement benefit. I have an unusual situation in that i continued to pay voluntary UK contribution whilst paying mandatory Italian ones and my UK contribution record exceeds the requirement for a full pension.
Thanks all. I'm actually years off retiring but I'd like to know the situation in advance. So far I've paid more years in Italy than in England, but I do not know where I'll retire as yet.

Chris, do I need to go to the INPS office to check my contributions? - And where would I get this info in the UK?
Old Jan 19th 2009, 8:12 am
BE Enthusiast

chris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nice

I went to my local INPS office in person but i wasn't easy to get an appointment, in the UK you need to ask HM revenue and customs try www.hmrc.gov.uk or tel UK 0191 2257520
Old Jan 19th 2009, 8:47 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

I went to my local INPS office in person but i wasn't easy to get an appointment, in the UK you need to ask HM revenue and customs try www.hmrc.gov.uk or tel UK 0191 2257520
For the UK side of things, I originally enquired at the Department for Work and Pensions, International Pensions Centre, Tyneview Park, Newcastle-upon-Tyne. Too lazy to look for my file at home, I searched for the address on Google, and discovered a useful website, "EUlisses". Good luck when the time comes!
Old Jan 26th 2009, 8:24 am
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Chris,

Would you happen to know, if you continue to pay voluntary UK contributions as well as mandatory Italian contributions, you would get the full UK pension and whatever it is your entitled to in Italy?

I need to do something about my finances because when I was younger I was working for many years part time and my contributions weren't enough to qualify towards the pension for that particular year. What I want to avoid is missing out on a full pension be it UK or Italian.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 5:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

I am hoping that i will get the full UK state pension as i have >40 years contributions (mandatory and voluntary) and i also hope to get something from the Italian state as i have a bout 15 years mandatory with them (and still paying), however this scenario looks to be a bit unlikely and i expect that i would get less than the full \UK state pension. To be sure we need to ask someone who has actually done it which means that someone would be over 65 already
Old Jan 27th 2009, 7:00 am
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

There's got to be somebody who moved, worked and then retired here in Italy who frequents this site? Any advice much appreciated!
Old Jan 27th 2009, 8:00 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

This INPS page has emails and phone numbers or help with Italian and GB pensions.

http://www.inps.it/bussola/visualizz...19&bLight=true
Old Jan 27th 2009, 5:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Infatti consentono agli interessati di:
  • sommare tutti i periodi di assicurazione maturati negli Stati membri allo scopo di raggiungere il diritto a pensione (totalizzazione dei periodi assicurativi);
  • ottenere il pagamento della pensione nel Paese di residenza, anche se essa è a carico di un altro Stato;
  • di beneficiare della parità di trattamento con i cittadini del Paese in cui esercitano la loro attività.
Point 2, from the link you provided, tends to indicate the opposite to what i was told when i went to the INPS in person; have my doubts that INPS know what they are talking about and this is why i would like input from someone who has actually done it. However the above point seems generous, as Italian pensions are more generous than UK (pay related rather than flat rated) what would stop any Brit coming to live in Italy for the last year of their working life and paying 1 year of contributions and claiming an Italian pension?
Old Jan 27th 2009, 7:11 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Infatti consentono agli interessati di:
  • sommare tutti i periodi di assicurazione maturati negli Stati membri allo scopo di raggiungere il diritto a pensione (totalizzazione dei periodi assicurativi);
  • ottenere il pagamento della pensione nel Paese di residenza, anche se essa è a carico di un altro Stato;
  • di beneficiare della parità di trattamento con i cittadini del Paese in cui esercitano la loro attività.
Point 2, from the link you provided, tends to indicate the opposite to what i was told when i went to the INPS in person; have my doubts that INPS know what they are talking about and this is why i would like input from someone who has actually done it. However the above point seems generous, as Italian pensions are more generous than UK (pay related rather than flat rated) what would stop any Brit coming to live in Italy for the last year of their working life and paying 1 year of contributions and claiming an Italian pension?
Look folks ................. I think everybody knows that I am not an expert and that the best thing to do is to find one and take it from there.
Old Jan 27th 2009, 7:18 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

I am hoping that i will get the full UK state pension as i have >40 years contributions (mandatory and voluntary) and i also hope to get something from the Italian state as i have a bout 15 years mandatory with them (and still paying), however this scenario looks to be a bit unlikely and i expect that i would get less than the full \UK state pension. To be sure we need to ask someone who has actually done it which means that someone would be over 65 already
You won`t get a full pension if you leave the UK before you are 65, and thats talking from experience, I didn`t find out till I applied for the pension.
I left when I was 59 and I am on 92% as I did not get the bonus 5 years that they only give you if you are in the UK. :curse::curse:
Old Jan 28th 2009, 4:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jdr
You won`t get a full pension if you leave the UK before you are 65, and thats talking from experience, I didn`t find out till I applied for the pension.
I left when I was 59 and I am on 92% as I did not get the bonus 5 years that they only give you if you are in the UK. :curse::curse:
Did you pay voluntary UK NI contributions after you left the UK? How many years of UK NI contributions did you have altogether? Up until this year you needed 44 years of contributions in the UK, they traditionally ignored missing contributions when you were over 60 years of age making it an effective 39 years of contributions required. It may be that if you leave the UK they do not ignore these missing 5 years. I am told that now (or soon) the requirement will drop drastically and (about) 30 years of contributions in the UK will secure you a pension.
I guess i depends when you left UK?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.