Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Newly arrived: how to register as living here?

Newly arrived: how to register as living here?

Old Mar 30th 2011, 9:48 am
Forum Regular

Loopy12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Newly arrived: how to register as living here?

Hi
I'msure this topic has been covered before but I could only find partial answers.

We arrived here last month. My husband is American and here on a mission (visiting forces) visa, but my daughter and I are British.

I believe we need to register as living here but got misinformation from the immigration people dealing with my husband's sojourno, who seemed to think I didn't need to do anything to be able to live here as an EU citizen. I thought I needed to register within 3 months, now I read something about 8 days...eek!

So:

How do I register as living here?
Where do I get the necessary forms from?
Will my daughter just be an extra in my form?
Where do I take it? Police station or commune offices?
When was I supposed to do this by?
What happens if I have left it longer than I should have?
What do I need to take with me, passports, health insurance, payslip, house rental contract, anything else?

Thankyou!
I have some questions about schools and language learning for preschoolers but will post later about this when I've stopped panicking about this first!
Old Mar 30th 2011, 12:25 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newly arrived: how to register as living here?

Hi, I'm in Verona most of the time. I would have thought the American forces staff could deal with this, but if not, it's quite simple -by Italian standards.

Don't worry about the 8dy thing. Yes you do have to register after 8dys if you are staying for more than 90 dys, but no one is over bothered. You need to register in your local comune. In a lot of comunes -including Verona- you need to book an appointment at the anagrafe. You fill in all the forms there. You are right, usually passport, health insurance bank account/pay slips and rental contracts are needed, but as a military dependent, they might be more laid back. You daughter? Does she have a British passport? If so, that's all you need for her. The comune usually send out the local police to see if you are living where you say you are. If you are living on base, I think they might give that a miss because I can't see the Americans letting them in. After a few weeks you receive confirmation of your residency and you can then sign on for healthcare.

Hope that helps, but I still think that the military could deal with this easierly. Surely you are not the first European wife?
Old Mar 30th 2011, 5:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by 37100

Hope that helps, but I still think that the military could deal with this easierly. Surely you are not the first European wife?
You'd think wouldn't you, but their attitude was 'you figure it out'.
They kind of expect that non-US people who marry a US citizen, particularly in the military, will want to take US citizenship (and give up their previous affiliations), and they find it weird that my response to that is 'over my dead body'...

We're actually living off base (they have very little housing on base). I will stop panicking then and see if I can figure out where the local commune office is.

Many thanks for your help!
Old Mar 30th 2011, 6:32 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

If you pm me your location, I'll look up the comune and see what is needed. You need one more post before you can p.m. Good on you for sticking to your roots.
Old Mar 31st 2011, 12:26 pm
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

Do they sell Ben & Jerrys on base?
Old Mar 31st 2011, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by duffer
Do they sell Ben & Jerrys on base?
Of course they do, and at dangerously cheap prices...you hinting?

Thanks 37100, I will PM you...
Old Mar 31st 2011, 11:59 pm
Just Joined

Botanico is an unknown quantity at this point

I would like to use this post to get an update on a post from May 2008 by TestaRossa. My wife and I are dual nationals, British/Canadian currently living in Canada. I will be retiring in a year or so and moving permanently to Italy (we travelled there a lot during the 1990's) is high on our list of likely life changes.
So of course we would be applying for residence cards shortly after arriving.
However back in that 2008 post TestaRossa says that (in violation of EU law) Italy passed a law in 2007 requiring proof of income (I wouldn't have a problem with that but there is a principle here) and also requiring us to buy private Medical Insurance (the cost of which I definitely object to). Does anyone have any accurate,up-to-date information on the current state of this problem? What is posted on this thread seems to contradict it, but the circumstances of the poster here are quite different from mine.
TestaRossa, if you see this would you please give me an update?
Old Apr 1st 2011, 6:13 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Botanico
I would like to use this post to get an update on a post from May 2008 by TestaRossa. My wife and I are dual nationals, British/Canadian currently living in Canada. I will be retiring in a year or so and moving permanently to Italy (we travelled there a lot during the 1990's) is high on our list of likely life changes.
However back in that 2008 post TestaRossa says that (in violation of EU law) Italy passed a law in 2007 requiring proof of income (I wouldn't have a problem with that but there is a principle here) and also requiring us to buy private Medical Insurance (the cost of which I definitely object to). Does anyone have any accurate,up-to-date information on the current state of this problem? What is posted on this thread seems to contradict it, but the circumstances of the poster here are quite different from mine.
Hello Botanico and welcome to the forum.
The rules for EU citizens have not changed.
You do not get a residency "card" as such but you do get written up in the town hall registers as being a resident of that town.
The town hall is called the 'Municipio' but commonly known as the 'comune' all over Italy. You need to go to the 'ufficio anagrafe' which is the registering office. Take your British passports with you otherwise you will be classed as Non EU and things get more complicated then.

You will need to show poof of funds to prove that you can support yourselves in the country and you will need private medical insurance so that you will not be a burden on the Italian state system ...... unless you have a British pension and then you can fill out some forms from the British NHS.

You will also need to get a codice fiscale each - this is like a personal tax code number and is one of the easiest official things to get in Italy. You just go along to your nearest 'Agenzia delle Entrate' with your passports.

These links - in English - might be of help to you.

http://www.poliziadistato.it/articolo/10930/
http://www1.agenziaentrate.gov.it/in...d_TaX_code.htm

Last edited by Lorna at Vicenza; Apr 1st 2011 at 6:17 am. Reason: one of the links was broken.
Old Apr 1st 2011, 6:58 am
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Loopy12
Of course they do, and at dangerously cheap prices...you hinting?

Thanks 37100, I will PM you...
YES! A big massive hint!
Old Apr 1st 2011, 3:18 pm
Just Joined

[You will need to show poof of funds to prove that you can support yourselves in the country and you will need private medical insurance so that you will not be a burden on the Italian state system ...... unless you have a British pension and then you can fill out some forms from the British NHS.]

Thanks Lorna. I appreciate the confirmation. I will leave aside my opinion on 'burden on the Italian system' since that concept is completely out of sync with the whole concept of European integration and the freedom of movement provisions!
What really interests me personally is your mention of British Pension. Because I did live and work in the UK I will be drawing 1/2 a british state pension along with my Canadian state and private pensions. So does that mean I would not need to have private insurance? I already have a valid British NHS card. I haven't seen any reference to this on any 'official sites'.
Old Apr 1st 2011, 4:15 pm
Concierge

As Lorna said, since May 2010 Uk state pension holders can claim healthcare through the NHS. Since you are no longer resident in the Uk, you NHS health card is no longer valid. If you read it, it clearly states so. You will have to apply for a EHIC etc on retirement (assuming that you are entitled to it). Some regions in Italy allow EU citizens to buy into healthcare in the same way as non-europeans can. It is far cheaper than any insurance plan.
Proof of income is a requirement for everyone and has been since I moved here a long time ago, not just non-Italians. All that is needed is €5,000 a year or a healthy bank balance or a wage/pension slip.
Of course, things could change, as the frequently do, before you manage to retire here.
Old Apr 1st 2011, 10:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Serrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond repute

TestaRossa says that (in violation of EU law) Italy passed a law in 2007 requiring proof of income (I wouldn't have a problem with that but there is a principle here)
I think (hope) that most members here would agree that one of the first things to do when in Italy is to try not to get hung up on principles. Too often it ends in tears. Go all'italiana if at all possible.
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 6:58 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by 37100
As Lorna said, since May 2010 Uk state pension holders can claim healthcare through the NHS. Since you are no longer resident in the Uk, you NHS health card is no longer valid. If you read it, it clearly states so. You will have to apply for a EHIC etc on retirement (assuming that you are entitled to it). Some regions in Italy allow EU citizens to buy into healthcare in the same way as non-europeans can. It is far cheaper than any insurance plan.
Proof of income is a requirement for everyone and has been since I moved here a long time ago, not just non-Italians. All that is needed is €5,000 a year or a healthy bank balance or a wage/pension slip.
Of course, things could change, as the frequently do, before you manage to retire here.
Thanks for the valuable information 37100. I realize that I will need to re-establish my NHS card by registering with a doctor in the UK before I can apply for an EHIC. It seems that the EHIC is more for temporary travel than if you are resident in non-UK Europe, is that true? Perhaps that is why you are suggesting buying into Italian Healthcare. So if the Italians are insisting other Europeans must buy private health care, are they not recognizing the EHIC? Except apparently for retired people?

Thanks too Serrano for your sound 'peace of mind' advice!
Old Apr 3rd 2011, 9:42 am
Concierge

Thanks for the valuable information 37100. I realize that I will need to re-establish my NHS card by registering with a doctor in the UK before I can apply for an EHIC. It seems that the EHIC is more for temporary travel than if you are resident in non-UK Europe, is that true? Perhaps that is why you are suggesting buying into Italian Healthcare. So if the Italians are insisting other Europeans must buy private health care, are they not recognizing the EHIC? Except apparently for retired people?

Thanks too Serrano for your sound 'peace of mind' advice!
Hmm, bit confused? I'll try and clear a few things up. Bare in mind that things vary slightly from region to region in Italy. A EHIC is issued by your health provided and is only for and only for, emergency treatment in a member state . It will not get you residency -usually. To register with a doctor in the UK, you will need to convince the health authorities that you intend living in the UK. However, you do not need to register to obtain healthcare in Italy on the basis of your UK pension. Two different depts. If you are entitled to healthcare cover, you will need to apply for form 'whatever' (they've recently changed the numbers). With this you can apply for residency and they UK will provide your EHIC. It's a bit vague, but hope this link helps a little (and doesn't confuse you even more). http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthc...ingabroad.aspx
I only mentioned 'buying' into Italian healthcare as an option avaialable in some regions.
Old Apr 3rd 2011, 6:24 pm
Just Joined

Thanks again 37100! That NHS site was very helpful - although the long postings of horror stories by retired UK expats struggling to actual get the S121 didn't exactly inspire confidence! Not needing to re-establish in the UK definitely makes the move a lot easier, so thanks for clearing that up. Hopefully now I will start of in the right direction.