Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Moving to Rome (cost of living?)

Moving to Rome (cost of living?)

Old Dec 27th 2008, 2:03 am
Forum Regular

NickFX is just really niceNickFX is just really niceNickFX is just really niceNickFX is just really niceNickFX is just really niceNickFX is just really niceNickFX is just really niceNickFX is just really niceNickFX is just really niceNickFX is just really niceNickFX is just really nice
Default Moving to Rome (cost of living?)

Hey guys I am thinking about spending some time in Rome (2-3 months). I could use a little help finding some place to stay and to figure out cost of living in or around the city centre.

I am 22 years old and live alone. I work online so as long as I have a fast and stable internet connection I can work. I earn on average £900 per week sometimes a little less sometimes a little more (roughly 1,000 Euros weekly).

How much do you think the total cost of living would be for rent, groceries, and bills?

What are some of the nice suburbs in Rome close to the city centre?

Are there many good serviced apartments near the city centre? if so could I please get a link?

Thanks guys
Old Dec 27th 2008, 10:20 am
Not Dun Roaming Just Yet

Kenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant future
Default Re: Moving to Rome (cost of living?)

Hi Nick,
I live just outside Naples which is fairly inexpensive compared to my visits to Rome. With regards to your 900 quid worth about 1000 euros, currently it's worth a bit less with the pound trading at about 1.03 euro (three days ago) and apparently it is set to fall even lower in the coming weeks. Your not a money exchanger yourself are you?
Regards Kenny
Old Dec 27th 2008, 12:24 pm
Forum Regular

NickFX is just really niceNickFX is just really niceNickFX is just really niceNickFX is just really niceNickFX is just really niceNickFX is just really niceNickFX is just really niceNickFX is just really niceNickFX is just really niceNickFX is just really niceNickFX is just really nice

I am not a money exchanger but I trade the Forex markets. I wont be trading while I am in Rome though I will only be running my website I have budgeted myself at about 1,000 Euros per week. Worse comes to worse I can use some more money. With regards to the Pound I was doing a rough estimate off the top of my head. To be honest I do not think it will reach parity with the Euro. We should see some turn around soon.

Anyway exchange rates aside is 1,000 Euros enough for a single person in Rome?
Old Dec 27th 2008, 4:47 pm
Banned

NRK12345 is an unknown quantity at this point

What would make you think that the pound will gain against the euro?
Old Dec 27th 2008, 7:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really nice

I am not sure if you are taking The PISS

You are asking if a 1000 euros a week is enough, Mate i do not know many people that are on that money, not even in the UK. Some people earn that a month and you earn that in a week!! and ask if it's enough, either you are stupid or just being BIG Headed.

I would vote you best post for 2008

Last edited by Mr Posh; Dec 27th 2008 at 7:19 pm.
Old Dec 27th 2008, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

Mr. Posh I am asking if what I make is enough to live in the city centre.

Certainly it is enough to live in the outer suburbs but the city centre can be a different story. For example at the moment I am in Melbourne Australia. I am staying in one of the best suburbs here (South Yarra). The serviced apartment I am staying in costs me $205 AUD per night ($1,435 AUD) per week. Groceries are expensive here and I spend about $160 per week. Throw in a few nights out with friends, internet and mobile phone costs. The $1.9k AUD disappears fast.

That is why I want to get an idea of accommodation prices in or around the city centre. I am assuming Rome is more expensive than Melbourne.

So instead of the petty name calling can somebody please help me out a little?

Last edited by NickFX; Dec 27th 2008 at 7:37 pm.
Old Dec 27th 2008, 7:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by NRK12345
What would make you think that the pound will gain against the euro?
Europe is in trouble too and the Pound has show massive support to the short side over the last two weeks. Every time it makes a new low it is minimal and it retraces quickly. Unless this years retail sales are particularly bad the Pound likely wont move much lower. Plus the JPY cant go too much lower, their centeral bank will have to intervene at some point. A strong Yen is not goof for business and they are hurting at the moment.

I see the USD dropping in the new year which is a bitch for me since I make my money in USD and have to exchange it to AUD. At its peak I would be getting $1,7k AUD for every $1k USD I made.
Old Dec 28th 2008, 7:16 am
Forum Regular

nbrome is an unknown quantity at this point

You'd have to do a search for apartments in Rome. I don't know much about serviced apartments. If you mean what they call a residence I think the prices are about 2000-3000 euro for a month, but there must be some cheaper ones around.
It's difficult to find a small place for one person (without services) as they don't really cater. For a two-room place you are going to pay over 1000 euro a month anywhere near the centre (and more) and even out of the centre you'll be lucky to pay 800.
Rents have gone up so astronomically in Rome that there is little difference between the centre and the immediate suburbs, or anywhere along the metro lines.
Seeing that most people (the ones with jobs!) earn between 800 and 1,200 euros a month you can see that this is a problem. But it is one you obviously don't have. I think Mr Posh was just pointing this out.
Old Dec 28th 2008, 9:04 am
Banned

NRK12345 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NickFX
Europe is in trouble too and the Pound has show massive support to the short side over the last two weeks. Every time it makes a new low it is minimal and it retraces quickly. Unless this years retail sales are particularly bad the Pound likely wont move much lower. Plus the JPY cant go too much lower, their centeral bank will have to intervene at some point. A strong Yen is not goof for business and they are hurting at the moment.

I see the USD dropping in the new year which is a bitch for me since I make my money in USD and have to exchange it to AUD. At its peak I would be getting $1,7k AUD for every $1k USD I made.
I disagree on the pound and your assertions do not consider that the currency is on its last legs anyway because the UK has to adopt the euro at some point. Talk of breakup of the euro currency is nonsense. The pound is eventually headed lower than the euro.
Old Dec 28th 2008, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

Sure the U.K. will adpot the Euro. Just like America has driven it's economy into the ground to create the Amero (a union between America, Canada and Mexico). This is what happens when you get your economic news from bloggers or from the conversation you overheard on the train.

Also who said anything about the break-up of the Euro? I said they are in trouble. Talk about making assumptions.

Anyway this is a pointless argument. In a recession you get the logical sane people who understand it is part of the economic cycle and you get the sky-is-falling people.

Let's stick to the subject at hand guys.
Old Dec 28th 2008, 12:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by nbrome
You'd have to do a search for apartments in Rome. I don't know much about serviced apartments. If you mean what they call a residence I think the prices are about 2000-3000 euro for a month, but there must be some cheaper ones around.
It's difficult to find a small place for one person (without services) as they don't really cater. For a two-room place you are going to pay over 1000 euro a month anywhere near the centre (and more) and even out of the centre you'll be lucky to pay 800.
Rents have gone up so astronomically in Rome that there is little difference between the centre and the immediate suburbs, or anywhere along the metro lines.
Seeing that most people (the ones with jobs!) earn between 800 and 1,200 euros a month you can see that this is a problem. But it is one you obviously don't have. I think Mr Posh was just pointing this out.
Serviced apartments are a cross between apartments and hotels. You have an apartment with a kitchen but you still get towel service and the hotel type maid coming in to clean your place.

1,200 Euros is reasonable. Thanks for that I will look for some apartments today. Two bedrooms should be fine if its hard to find 1 bedroom.
Old Dec 28th 2008, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

Does anybody have any links to proper apartments? These holiday rental websites only have expensive places 1,000 Euros per week plus...

http://www.romerents.com/
Old Dec 28th 2008, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

nbrome is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NickFX
Sure the U.K. will adpot the Euro. Just like America
Anyway this is a pointless argument. In a recession you get the logical sane people who understand it is part of the economic cycle and you get the sky-is-falling people.
Yeah, it's part of the economic cycle. Marx said that too. It's called capitalism. Doesn't mean it's OK though, the sky is still falling for lots of people.
As regards your search for flats.... The maid service etc is what's called a residence here and you will pay between 2 and 3000 euros a month. When I said a two-roomed flat I meant one bedroom and one other room. There's not a great difference between the centre and the immediate suburbs. You have to know that the centre of Rome is still populated by ordinary, long-term residents. Only now are they being evicted to make way for rich people who will take on their flats at 10 times the present rent. I personally know several over-eighties who are being evicted from where they were born.
I realise you didn't intend to get into this, but I'm wondering if you are real. If you are, then you are a very rich young man and you could just arrive here and find something suitable within a week.
Old Dec 28th 2008, 10:06 pm
Forum Regular

I am for real. I don't do anything spectacular, I just own a website that has become quite popular over the past two years. Some large companies advertise on my site so I generate a nice passive income from advertising.

I also trade the Forex markets which has been my main source of income for 4 years. However I am going to take a break from trading and I am going to travel Europe living on the money my site generates from advertising.

That sounds good, I will book a hotel for a week and look for some apartments while I am there. Worse comes to worse I can go to Sardinia I have family there.

Thanks nbrome!
Old Dec 28th 2008, 10:33 pm
Forum Regular

Hey guys another quick question, I found this site for rental property searches. It allows you to select price. Is that price it allows you to select per month or per week?

In Australia they do it by week in the U.K. its per month...

http://www.casa.it/cerca_res.aspx?ca...r=lazio&c=roma

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.