Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Europe / Italy

Old Nov 21st 2017, 5:58 pm   #1
Just Joined

profsid is an unknown quantity at this point
Default moving as a pensioner from uk to italy

Hi,
My mother has just moved from UK to live with me permanently with a widow's pension.She has a savings account and some investments in the uk.

My question is does anyone know what is the best thing to do tax wise?
What kind of tax does she have to pay and in which country?
Thanks in advance.
profsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st 2017, 6:07 pm   #2
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving as a pensioner from uk to italy

just moved... when? if she can avoid claiming residence until the new year she wont have to submit a tax return till june 2019.
modicasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22nd 2017, 10:19 am   #3
Just Joined

She came at the end of October this year. That sounds good advice, I wasn't sure about income tax and also I presume her attandance allowance will end.
Old Nov 22nd 2017, 12:08 pm   #4
old age pensioner
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by profsid View Post
She came at the end of October this year. That sounds good advice, I wasn't sure about income tax and also I presume her attandance allowance will end.
Yes, attendance allowance will stop, as will many other benefits, after brexit I suspect that all except pensions will not be exportable. The government will seize the chance to save money.
mikelincs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd 2017, 6:30 am   #5
Just Joined

Hi another question please. My mother has a Halifax savings and current account in the UK.I've done a change of address to here in Italy as they said it was fine however perhaps it would have been better to keep a Uk address for the account??
Any advice welcome.
Old Dec 2nd 2017, 9:48 am   #6
Sancho 
BE Enthusiast

Sancho is just really niceSancho is just really niceSancho is just really niceSancho is just really niceSancho is just really niceSancho is just really niceSancho is just really niceSancho is just really nice

Quote:
Hi another question please. My mother has a Halifax savings and current account in the UK.I've done a change of address to here in Italy as they said it was fine however perhaps it would have been better to keep a Uk address for the account??
Any advice welcome.
Not sure if this is relevant, but I've just been told by a woman at the Co-op that to open a bank account with them you have to be resident in the UK, with a UK address, but if you already have an account with them when you stop being a UK resident you can keep the same account.
Sancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd 2017, 10:45 am   #7
Forum Regular

fliss59 is an unknown quantity at this point

We moved here in May. Accounts with NatWest and they were happy for us to keep them
fliss59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd 2017, 2:06 pm   #8
BE Forum Addict

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Any advice welcome.
I would guess with the uncertainties with Brexit that a UK address may be prudent for the long run, who knows what changes at be coming the future.
morpeth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd 2017, 4:48 pm   #9
BE Enthusiast

philat98 has a brilliant futurephilat98 has a brilliant futurephilat98 has a brilliant futurephilat98 has a brilliant futurephilat98 has a brilliant futurephilat98 has a brilliant future

I have just received a new credit card from Nationwide with a 2020 expiry date That is a good sign.
philat98 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd 2017, 8:35 pm   #10
BE Enthusiast

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

Not wishing to worry anyone, but best forewarned.
I’m not too sure of the details, but friends of ours had a few problems with a well-known bank who at first said it was fine having an Italian address. However after a year or so when contacting them they were saying they could not have such an account if they had no UK address. They ended up changing the address to a relatives to keep the account.
So if you are in touch with them for any other reason in the future, I would suggest you try to avoid the mention of the fact your mum is in Italy.
Old Dec 2nd 2017, 9:19 pm   #11
BE Enthusiast

Serrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond repute

My own experience has, in general, been very positive in terms of keeping accounts open after the move to Italy (in every case being honest about the change of address). There was just one account provider (Egg, I believe) who insisted that the account be closed. All other accounts, bank and savings - over a dozen in total - were (and with the exception of those that I've closed voluntarily) still are happy with the situation. To the extent of accepting an Italian phone number for transaction verification etc.

Opening new accounts is however not normally possible. A notable exception is National Savings for Premium Bonds, though nowadays they make it so difficult you almost wish they'd just said no in the beginning. Other National Savings products can only be purchased using a UK Bank Debit Card in your own name. And in general ISAs are potentially a minefield
Serrano is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd 2017, 10:45 pm   #12
Forum Regular

Donna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond repute

Just make sure you declare those accounts, and any possible property she owns, in the UK or elsewhere, in her Italian tax return.
Donna Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 7:01 pm   #13
Just Joined

TrustPilot is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm Italian and I suggest you stay in the UK. Here the taxes rise more and more. Many Italians are moving abroad.
TrustPilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Europe / Italy