Reload this Page >

moving for living, not for working

moving for living, not for working

Old Mar 17th 2014, 1:19 pm
Just Joined

AstaSl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default moving for living, not for working

hi all,
we are family from Lithuania and want to move somewhere. we were in Italy few times and liked it very much, so decided to try this country. we both are free-lancers and can work from any place in the world, but sometimes its necessary to go to Lithuania for few days. we think about Milan/Bergamo regions, there are cheap direct flights to Lithuania
we dont need a job in Italy, but we have 3 children. is it possible for them to go to school in Italy when both of parents dont work in country? do we need to declare something somewhere? from what we need to start?
thanks in advance
Old Mar 17th 2014, 3:45 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving for living, not for working

Originally Posted by AstaSl
hi all,
we are family from Lithuania and want to move somewhere. we were in Italy few times and liked it very much, so decided to try this country. we both are free-lancers and can work from any place in the world, but sometimes its necessary to go to Lithuania for few days. we think about Milan/Bergamo regions, there are cheap direct flights to Lithuania
we dont need a job in Italy, but we have 3 children. is it possible for them to go to school in Italy when both of parents dont work in country? do we need to declare something somewhere? from what we need to start?
thanks in advance
You can live in Italy, but to gain official residency and live here legally, you need to show an income and health insurance of some kind. Tax residency is different. If you live in Italy more than 183 you have to declare your world wide income, including houses even if they do not generate an income, and you could be liable to tax. You will need the advise of an account.

Children can attend school even if you are not here legally.
Old Mar 17th 2014, 4:32 pm
Just Joined

thanks for reply
but its difficult to prove these 183 when you are EU citizen, there are no visa stamps or smth.
we have a house in Lithuania, we are not going to rent or sell it. if we declare our living in IT, are there any kind of tax on my property abroad?
do children can attend school without declaring living in Italy?
there is no problem about showing income, and LT health insurance is valid entire EU also.
Old Mar 17th 2014, 5:23 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AstaSl
thanks for reply
but its difficult to prove these 183 when you are EU citizen, there are no visa stamps or smth.
we have a house in Lithuania, we are not going to rent or sell it. if we declare our living in IT, are there any kind of tax on my property abroad?
do children can attend school without declaring living in Italy?
there is no problem about showing income, and LT health insurance is valid entire EU also.
It is fairly easy to prove you live here. The tax people have access to everything. Energy bills, bank transfers and flight passenger lists etc and sending children to school here is a dead give away! And has, in fact, been used as evidence of tax residency. Yes, you do have to pay tax on your home in Lithuania. Recently, a tax on bank transfers was also introduced. A flat 20% unless you declared it as not coming from an income. This was introduced because, but not only because, people 'forget' to declare overseas income. This tax has been suspend, but not abolished, while better ways of implementing it are looked into. It could or could not be re-introduced. However, will the tax office take any notice of you? No one can answer that.

No, you do not need to have declared residency to get into a school. However, if the school is over subscribed etc, you will be very low on the waiting list.

Forgive me as I do not know how Lithuanian health works, but if it works along the lines of Italian and other EU health systems, i.e with a EHIC card, it only covers emergency care on temporary visits abroad and is not enough for residency.
Old Mar 17th 2014, 6:03 pm
Just Joined

oh, yes, thank you, i forgot that EHIC card is valid for traveling purposes, not for living, shame on me....
one more question - i dont like big cities. have an idea to move to a small town/village, smth like 100 km around Bergamo. just to find calm and nice place and stay there. is it good idea for children? i mean, is it possible to find more or less good school? i dont even think about international school in a village, of course