Reload this Page >

moving to Italy alone

moving to Italy alone

Old Mar 8th 2018, 11:24 am
Just Joined

kri9ty is an unknown quantity at this point
Default moving to Italy alone

Hi all,
I am new here and just wanted some advice as i am moving to Teramo province in Abruzzi, Italy for 6 months in October with my dog from the UK

Accommodation is sorted
Employment is being sorted but if not i feel i will have enough money to live there within my means

I guess i just want advice from anyone who has moved there alone, how did they feel leading up to it, how was living there, how was it making friends/meeting people?

I am learning the language and feel now i know enough to get by, but know in 7 months it will be better.

I am planning of lots of sight seeing so is there any restrictions with dogs? i know about certain buildings, any recommendations of hidden gem visits? i have previously visited all the main cities of Italy.

Basically any advice is greatly appreciated

Thanks

Kristy

Last edited by kri9ty; Mar 8th 2018 at 1:07 pm.
Old Mar 8th 2018, 12:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving to Italy alone

Hi Kristy and best wishes in your big adventure, also welcome to the forum. Can’t give you any advice about what to see or your dog.
However if you are coming over in October, hopefully you are aware of what weather you can expect? It was over 20c here 1st Feb 18 and on the 28th got down to -6c. We live at just under 300m, have a very steep drive and have been snowed in 3-4 times in the 8 years we have been here in the Teramo region. So more practical advice than anything, as long as you are prepared it’s not a big problem. You need decent heating, supplies just in case, of which we have found head torches much better than candles. Likely, as with most people today, internet will be a must – so check out you will have it and it is okay. There are probably loads of other small details, but I would suggest you think of the thinks you do now and ask yourself (or here) if things will be more difficult here. Banking in one I can think of which is not quite the same. In fact anything official in not quite like the UK.
Old Mar 8th 2018, 12:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

The winter in the Abruzzo can be a bit like that in England so bring warm clothes.
Dogs and sightseeing don't mix very well. Museums, galleries and archaelogical sites are generally against dogs unless you can carry it around. Dogs are even forbidden in a lot of beaches, parks and gardens. They usually let them in restaurants and bars. Also dogs are banned from a lot of shops as in England.
The only museum I ever got my dog in was Palazzo Orsini in Pitigliano. At least in winter there are not many people around to complain about a dog.

Last edited by philat98; Mar 8th 2018 at 12:51 pm.
Old Mar 8th 2018, 2:41 pm
Just Joined

Hi both thanks for the responses...snow/cold weather wise i am ok as from south wales valleys and we get good snow, there is wifi and heating in the accommodation, i figured most touristy places would be difficult with my dog, are they allowed in the national parks?
Are there any expat groups or meetups near there that anyone knows about?
Old Mar 8th 2018, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

If you have not already visited the accommodation or looked on google street view I would do so and have a look at how steep the access drive is. Have a search for the comuni (council) for the area you are going to live, your will fine either their official site or others like this example. It will tell you how high above sea level you will be and how many people live there. Anything above 400m is not too good and less than 1500 people is not many. I’m guessing with a dog you will be driving over and therefore have transport? The only “expat” get together I’ve heard of was adhoc stuff, but there did used to be some kind of woman’s meet-up in Penne (I think) and perhaps one in Chieti, but unfortunately I don’t have details. Perhaps a search on line (in English of course) might come up with something. Pica on here may know of something, speaking of which it is well worth looking up her posts on her experience here last winter. I'm sure dogs can go into the National Park, but be careful if there are any sheep around with your dog. The dogs that guard them will not hesitate to protect the sheep and boy are they big! Although not allowed in general officially I would guess, many people do walk along the large beach in Pineto in the off season, it's lovely at that time of year.

Last edited by Geordieborn; Mar 8th 2018 at 4:31 pm. Reason: Missing link added
Old Mar 8th 2018, 5:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Watch out for your dog in truffling areas. Someone on this forum from the Abruzzo had their dog poisoned.
Old Mar 8th 2018, 5:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kri9ty
Hi all,
I am new here and just wanted some advice as i am moving to Teramo province in Abruzzi, Italy for 6 months in October with my dog from the UK

Accommodation is sorted
Employment is being sorted but if not i feel i will have enough money to live there within my means

I guess i just want advice from anyone who has moved there alone, how did they feel leading up to it, how was living there, how was it making friends/meeting people?

I am learning the language and feel now i know enough to get by, but know in 7 months it will be better.

I am planning of lots of sight seeing so is there any restrictions with dogs? i know about certain buildings, any recommendations of hidden gem visits? i have previously visited all the main cities of Italy.

Basically any advice is greatly appreciated

Thanks

Kristy
Hi Kristy, I wish you luck in your venture but sorry I can't advise re meetings of expats as I've never been inclined to attend one. Regarding your dog; as long as you keep it on a lead you should be fine in the national parks. As to local to where you live just watch what others do. Brits tend to keep their dogs on leads, the Italians in the hills mostly let them wander free. If you're town centered they'll love your dog. I suggest you make yourself very well known at your local bar, how you do that is up to you lol. I admire your guts doing this alone.
Old Mar 22nd 2018, 11:13 pm
Forum Regular

MrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Kirsty,

Well done - you are doing what I always wanted to do in one of my favourite areas.

Let us know how you get on - it will help others in the future.

I can't believe no-one, so far, as sent you to abruzzolutely dot com into the forums there. That is where you will find out local knowledge.

Good luck and please report back.

Mrs T
Old Mar 26th 2018, 7:52 am
BE Enthusiast

GeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud of

I can't speak for the Abruzzo but my general experience of having a dog in Italy has been much more positive than in the UK. My dog can come into virtually any restaurant, bar or hotel with me (the latter sometimes with an additional cleaning cost which is fair enough given the hair he sheds). There are often enclosed dog "playgrounds" in urban areas where you can let them run around without getting in the way of children or anyone else.

As for beaches my experience is that outside of the peak summer tourist season, you're usually fine. For example, at Lake Garda you can take a dog on the beaches from end September to early June and there is an increasing number of dog-specific beaches for the summer period where you can take them for a dip when it's hot!

Philat makes a good point about the truffling season, I've heard similar stories, plus in the National Parks you should be aware of bears when you're walking with your dog (generally the advice is to keep them on a lead and to make a noise as you go - perhaps put a little cow bell on the dog's collar).

I walk extensively in the mountains with my dog and the only place we found with no access was a specific nature reserve above Lake Garda where they had a project to protect rare Alpine flowers.

Having a dog has been a great way to meet people in our village; indeed, a few weeks ago a friend came to visit and couldn't remember where I lived and had no phone reception, so she went into the bar and asked if anyone knew where "that Englishman with the dog" lived. 2 minutes later she was ringing our bell.
Old May 15th 2018, 2:03 pm
Just Joined

hi all thanks for the advice - i am really looking forward to the move and exploring the national park/doing lots of hiking with my dog. thanks mrs teapot for the signposting to abbruzzolutely.com
Old May 15th 2018, 2:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Good luck with your trip. Here is a useful website that describes some hill walks in the Appennines Le mie passeggiate di Giuseppe Albrizio

Last edited by philat98; May 15th 2018 at 2:51 pm.
Old Jul 14th 2018, 4:15 am
Just Joined

Focaccia is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Kristy,
All the best to you moving to Abruzzo!!
I'm an American who bought an apartment in the town of my birth, Notaresco in the province of Teramo and will be there alone having a renovation done from mid september through December. I too will be looking to make connections, so if we could make a network of friends, that would be nice.

The area I think is beautiful, lots of great medieval hill towns to explore with lots of festivals, mostly through the summer months and September . The beach towns in the summer are exciting with many lidos for relaxing and beautiful promenades for strolling-cycling.

Been all over Italy and I really love Abruzzo. It's off the beaten path, not overly touristy like some regions, but close to Rome and the Pescara airport offers flights all over Europe. And the cost of living is reasonable. People are very gentle and the food is the best - but I'm a little biased ; )
Cheers!!
Sam
Old Jul 17th 2018, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

cermignano is an unknown quantity at this point

Civatella Del Tronto is a must see in Teramo province, ancient fortress and the village is lovely with a couple of good museums. But the forum you have been directed too has loads of info