Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Moving in with fiancé's Italian Family - am i crazy?!

Moving in with fiancé's Italian Family - am i crazy?!

Old Jul 25th 2012, 6:04 pm
Just Joined

blackbetty is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving in with fiancé's Italian Family - am i crazy?!

Originally Posted by MarkRD
Hi again Betty - sorry to have been so cynical .. one of those days! I'm sure you know what you're doing ...

( )
Don't be sorry, everyone is cynical some of the time! Hope your week has got better!

Do I know what I am doing......probably not, but won't know until I try and to be honest I have faced a whole lot worse events in my life to date, moving to a country where I don't speak the language, to live with people that I have never met and also don't speak the same language, with no job or friends and possibly the wrong skin colour.......hmmmmmmm!

But I haven't done anything stupid in my 30's so I guess this will be it! Can also try for something worse in my 40's!!!
Old Jul 25th 2012, 6:13 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Petra R
The "staring" thing ....

I noticed it but I actually rather liked it. Not the "staring" as such, but when I stopped thinking of it as "staring" and thought of it as "acknowledging" and "interacting" I started doing it myself. Head up, direct eye contact, not looking away, just acknowledging their presence, the fact that they had acknowledged me, in a "I see you, I see that you are seeing me, now I am walking on but we have acknowledged each other" way (does that make any sense?) it stopped feeling weird or threatening. In an odd way it actually started to feel empowering. Free?

I kept it up for a couple of days once I returned "home" to Scotland but swiftly found that it's not something the Scots can deal with very well.....
This is awesome! I am absolutely going to try this tomorrow - although maybe not to everyone (recent acts of severe thuggery/shootings may prevent me "staring" at some swindon folk!).
My fiancee agrees with you, he says it isn't really staring its "assessing you, acknowledging you" but who knows! Will let you know how it goes tomorrow! Excited at my first challenge, I'm thinking of writing a blog/book about my "crazy" decision, the months leading up and moving. I will include my pre move challenges.....So new friends I happily welcome some pre move challenges that can be carried out here to to help the integration process, let me know guys!

1st challenge - learn and perfect the Italian Stare
Old Jul 25th 2012, 6:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

HADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blackbetty
This is awesome! I am absolutely going to try this tomorrow - although maybe not to everyone (recent acts of severe thuggery/shootings may prevent me "staring" at some swindon folk!).
My fiancee agrees with you, he says it isn't really staring its "assessing you, acknowledging you" but who knows! Will let you know how it goes tomorrow! Excited at my first challenge, I'm thinking of writing a blog/book about my "crazy" decision, the months leading up and moving. I will include my pre move challenges.....So new friends I happily welcome some pre move challenges that can be carried out here to to help the integration process, let me know guys!

My Mum likes the staring .. says she feels noticed and appreciated by Italians whereas in the UK a woman over 70 might as well be invisible .
Old Jul 25th 2012, 6:51 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by HADENOUGHPIZZA
My Mum likes the staring .. says she feels noticed and appreciated by Italians whereas in the UK a woman over 70 might as well be invisible .
this is too true unfortunately!

Don't forget I need challenges!
Old Jul 25th 2012, 7:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

HADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond repute

this is too true unfortunately!

Don't forget I need challenges!
Believe me moving over here is challenge enough for anyone , let alone moving in with MIL you never met and working the land !
Old Jul 25th 2012, 9:27 pm
Just Joined

Petra R is on a distinguished road

Betty, I am not sure Swindon is any more ready for "that" than Peterhead, Aberdeenshire is....

But seriously, I believe it's about the attitude. If you let go of the idea that it is "staring" or in some way aggressive or predatory, and take it as acknowledging, seeing, communicating, asessing maybe, even - it takes on a different flavour.

To the Italians (I am purely guessing) the British ways may seem sneaky, evasive, avoidant. Once I decided to assume that there was no malice in it, and just joined them, I felt really fine about it. At ease with it, if that makes sense?
Old Jul 26th 2012, 7:12 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

..actually it's more .. look someone up and down from head to foot to check out their:
race
possible origin
hairstyle
clothes
shoes
general state of health / cleanliness
profession / occupation
..and then whether or not they're worth your 'buongiorno/salve/ciao' or nothing..

all this is less than 2 seconds of course
Old Jul 26th 2012, 7:16 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

..actually it's more .. look someone up and down from head to foot to check out their:
race
possible origin
hairstyle
clothes
shoes
profession / occupation
..and then whether or not they're worth your 'buongiorno/salve/ciao' or nothing..

Old Jul 26th 2012, 8:22 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Petra R

To the Italians (I am purely guessing) the British ways may seem sneaky, evasive, avoidant.
No it doesn't. They just think we are reserved and cold just like they think we all carry brollies and newspapers and that the whole country stops at 4 o'clock so we can all have a cup of tea.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 8:23 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

race
possible origin
hairstyle
clothes
shoes
profession / occupation

and an extra second or two to check out your car if you are next to it.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 8:39 am
Forum Regular

malcesine99 is just really nicemalcesine99 is just really nicemalcesine99 is just really nicemalcesine99 is just really nicemalcesine99 is just really nicemalcesine99 is just really nicemalcesine99 is just really nicemalcesine99 is just really nice

race
possible origin
hairstyle
clothes
shoes
profession / occupation

Old Jul 26th 2012, 8:42 am
Forum Regular

malcesine99 is just really nicemalcesine99 is just really nicemalcesine99 is just really nicemalcesine99 is just really nicemalcesine99 is just really nicemalcesine99 is just really nicemalcesine99 is just really nicemalcesine99 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
No it doesn't. They just think we are reserved and cold just like they think we all carry brollies and newspapers and that the whole country stops at 4 o'clock so we can all have a cup of tea.

all of the above and if you are Scottish you will have red hair, pale skin and freckles! (I only have one of these traits!)
Old Jul 26th 2012, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by malcesine99
all of the above and if you are Scottish you will have red hair, pale skin and freckles! (I only have one of these traits!)
My dark haired and olive skinned, very Italian looking daughter has a smattering of freckles across her nose and cheeks.
She got so sick of old ladies pinching her cheeks when she was younger and saying things like "ooohhhh so strange for someone so dark to have freckles." or "how weird she has all these freckles, you Mamma don't have any."

Poor kid almost got a massive complex and one day she asked me if they'd ever go away.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 8:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Poor kid almost got a massive complex and one day she asked me if they'd ever go away.
What the freckles or the derranged old bats ?
Old Jul 26th 2012, 8:50 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by malcesine99
And you've met the Queen and hence know EVERYTHING about her.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.