Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Moving in with fiancé's Italian Family - am i crazy?!

Moving in with fiancé's Italian Family - am i crazy?!

Old Jul 24th 2012, 12:01 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving in with fiancé's Italian Family - am i crazy?!

Originally Posted by blackbetty
Neither have I! what I forgot to mention is that when I move in, it will also be the first time I have met them! ha ha seems ridiculous to write this down! but due to his families ill health, money and my job time off has been sparse the past 3 years.
Internet was my first and only request. Now that I have found this great site, it will be coming with me everywhere I go!!! Watch out!
OMG

You might be lucky. My MIL is a fantastic lady. Not sure I'd like to live with her full time though. I like my own space and my own mess.

Make sure you do not let them get involved in EVERYTHING. And to be fair, they are being a little bit brave as well letting an English girl, a FOREIGN girl into their home.
Old Jul 24th 2012, 12:03 pm
Just Joined

blackbetty is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MarkRD
there you are .. you're in a state of confusion already before even getting here.... DON'T DO IT!

Ha ha thank you for the support! Im not one to do things by half! Having been bored, constantly tired and skint with no sunshine, I might as well be the same but at least the sun is shining....and the shoe shops are better! Always a silver lining in my eyes!
Old Jul 24th 2012, 12:07 pm
Forum Regular

Twinkle Canelli will become famous soon enough

Ha ha thank you for the support! Im not one to do things by half! Having been bored, constantly tired and skint with no sunshine, I might as well be the same but at least the sun is shining....and the shoe shops are better! Always a silver lining in my eyes!
Ha! I think the sun shining is the only one of those things that will actually be different!!! But don't forget the wine and food!
Old Jul 24th 2012, 12:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

HADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond repute

Will you be in Abruzzo on the coast ie plenty of restaurants / tourist related activities or somewhere small and isolated in the hills ? They get a lot of snow in the winter..........just thought I mention it , people don't tend to associate Italy with sub zero temperatures !
Old Jul 24th 2012, 12:08 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
OMG

You might be lucky. My MIL is a fantastic lady. Not sure I'd like to live with her full time though. I like my own space and my own mess.

Make sure you do not let them get involved in EVERYTHING. And to be fair, they are being a little bit brave as well letting an English girl, a FOREIGN girl into their home.
"We" speak with them daily and she seems fab so I have everything crossed, although being of afro Caribbean origin it was a touchy start but we have passed that now - I am also the only chance of them having grandchildren so I have a bargaining chip! She knows I am not a push over so hopefully we can work together. I guess only time will tell.
Old Jul 24th 2012, 12:12 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by HADENOUGHPIZZA
Will you be in Abruzzo on the coast ie plenty of restaurants / tourist related activities or somewhere small and isolated in the hills ? They get a lot of snow in the winter..........just thought I mention it , people don't tend to associate Italy with sub zero temperatures !
Smack in the middle, close enough to travel to the coast but close enough to get the snow. I am looking forward to having 'seasons', if we have snow thats fine (don't like it but I can deal with it) at least you know the sun will follow - the UK has one season and that is rubbish.
Old Jul 24th 2012, 12:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

ah yes, shoe shops, wine and food ... and sunshine...
and the prospect of having to mother lots of children ..

Old Jul 24th 2012, 12:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

HADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond repute

You did it ! ... father rather than mother and you are stuck in Ferarra , stop trying to put her off , I need someone from the southwest on here ! I was born in Swindon ....
Old Jul 24th 2012, 12:20 pm
Just Joined

ah yes, shoe shops, wine and food ... and sunshine...
and the prospect of having to mother lots of children ..

ha ha MarkRD I think I will officially make you the "devil that sits on my shoulder" with reference to my move to Italy.......a grounding voice!

Thankfully I would welcome children but "lots" will be an area for discussion.
Old Jul 24th 2012, 12:23 pm
Just Joined

You did it ! ... father rather than mother and you are stuck in Ferarra , stop trying to put her off , I need someone from the southwest on here ! I was born in Swindon ....
HURRAHHH!!!! A fellow Swindonarian!!! This site gets better!!! Fab news! Well you may then understand that moving to Italy won't be too different from Swindon, the Italians are taking over here. Even the local team has an italian manager now!
Old Jul 24th 2012, 12:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

You did it ! ... father rather than mother and you are stuck in Ferarra , stop trying to put her off , ...
that's exactly why I'm trying to put her off!
..well not really, but you know what I mean ..

ha ha MarkRD I think I will officially make you the "devil that sits on my shoulder" with reference to my move to Italy.......a grounding voice!

Thankfully I would welcome children but "lots" will be an area for discussion.
Old Jul 24th 2012, 12:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

HURRAHHH!!!! A fellow Swindonarian!!! This site gets better!!! Fab news! Well you may then understand that moving to Italy won't be too different from Swindon, the Italians are taking over here. Even the local team has an italian manager now!
Ok I must confess that my parents moved when I was about a month and I was brought up in Devon , but its still true the Southwest is poorly represented on here !
Old Jul 24th 2012, 12:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

that's exactly why I'm trying to put her off!
..well not really, but you know what I mean ..
Yeah but the more the merrier - mal comune mezzo gaudio ?
Old Jul 24th 2012, 12:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yeah but the more the merrier - mal comune mezzo gaudio ?
true ... a problem shared.... two in the hand...a stitch in time....
Old Jul 24th 2012, 12:59 pm
Just Joined

Ok I must confess that my parents moved when I was about a month and I was brought up in Devon , but its still true the Southwest is poorly represented on here !
O well, devon is close enough!

Well any help anyone can give me on the logistics of moving would be great, we can deal with my mental state nearer the time!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.