Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Moving to Abruzzo

Moving to Abruzzo

Old Jan 14th 2018, 3:16 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Abruzzo

Originally Posted by Nick Millard
Thank you for the feedback. I did think it might be a case of snobby Romans tarring a whole region with one brush, and working in local government in the UK realise that there is an element of corruption everywhere. Where are you based and what do you do?
When I was in Rome every cabinet member of the Provincial government was found to have over a million euros of public money in their personal bank accounts - the Romans are in no position to criticise.
Old Jan 14th 2018, 3:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

We are in the Teramo region and do nothing there but dig! Well the veg plots do keep us busy. I did ask if they came from Abruzzo for that very reason i.e. all Italians I've met their region, province, village down to Contrada is the only place to live/eat.
Old Jan 14th 2018, 3:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

My Italian relatives have suggested Abruzzo is not the place to move from the UK to due to corruption and I wondered what the experience of those who actually have done it is. I want to live in the country with a small holding living sustainably off the land
Get a bit of land with a well that provides water in July and August. Even a small allotment consumes a lot of water in summer and it is very expensive using the mains water. Without a well you can only grow olives or grapes and they suffer without irrigation when you get 40C like last summer.
Old Jan 14th 2018, 3:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute

We gave up trying to grow our own veg etc. The effort is monumental plus the cost of compost, fertiliser, water, time, storage, preserving etc. And consider the bugs that can decimate all your hard efforts-white fly, blackfly, aphids, caterpillars.Veggies and fruit are best bought in season and they're cheap!

Last edited by Pica; Jan 14th 2018 at 3:57 pm.
Old Jan 14th 2018, 4:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

I cultivate a small patch of land that has a well and a polytunnel and am almost self sufficient for organic veg all year round. There is quite a bit of work involved but I find it enjoyable anyway. I don't think the cost is much different from the UK If you have your own well. Those fields south of Umbria must be filled with hungry critters!

Last edited by philat98; Jan 14th 2018 at 4:23 pm.
Old Jan 14th 2018, 5:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

Growing veg is different to the UK, but so are the results None of the problems mentioned by Pica, even the heavy hail we had in July that cut off just about every leaf on the plants did not stop them, they all grew back! But veg is cheap in the shops and much, much better quality than that in the UK (just not as good as our own)
Old Jan 14th 2018, 6:25 pm
Just Joined

Nick Millard is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everybody. Another question if I may. I plan to install solar panels and a battery system so I can live off grid. Is this something I will have to get approval for or can I just do it, as the other concern I have is the level of bureaucracy and not being able to do things without having to go through official processes.
Old Jan 14th 2018, 8:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

I would suggest you check out solar with this guy.
Old Jan 14th 2018, 8:28 pm
Just Joined

Cheers Geordieborn. Already got the kit and knowledge of how to do it, just wanted to check whether the level of bureaucracy I have been warned about with respect to building works extends to installing your own solar system. Some of the other stuff in the article was very useful though. Thanks again. Planning to come over with the next few weeks to look at areas and would appreciate contacts of good estate agents and expat run B&Bs. I will be focusing on areas that are approximately a maximum of a 90 minute drive from Rome
Old Jan 14th 2018, 8:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

He is I believe a one man band, from old post elsewhere seems to know everything about the bureaucracy. I think he now is living back in the UK, but still flits over here. I'm sure he would be good for free advice.
Old Jan 14th 2018, 8:54 pm
Just Joined

I will drop him a line thanks
Old Jan 15th 2018, 5:12 am
BE Forum Addict

I plan to install solar panels and a battery system so I can live off grid. Is this something I will have to get approval for or can I just do it
For just replacing a rusty corrugated iron roof on a shed we needed to employ a Geometra with lots of letters to and from the Comune. You might be able to claim money back when you have finished the project.

Last edited by philat98; Jan 15th 2018 at 6:33 am.