Reload this Page >

Living in Sicily

Living in Sicily

Old Aug 23rd 2016, 7:55 pm
Just Joined

Joe61 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Living in Sicily

Hello everyone.

Have just joined this site as I will be arriving in Sicily (Catania region, near Mascali) at the end of September and was wondering whether any of you good people had some sage advice for a newbie about life in Sicily, settling in etc.

I look forward to any replies and your hints and tips will be most welcome.

Regards
Joe
Old Aug 25th 2016, 3:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living in Sicily

As nobody has replied the few days since you posted, I guess that many of the expats there are visiting UK or elsewhere on vacation.
Never having visited or lived there, my advise is slim. However check out the following links where your same question has previously been addressed.
HERE
HERE
HERE
HERE
You may wish to advise why you choose Sicily, i.e. for work, retirement etc, so the regular forum members who know the island can provide more detailed advise.
My own simple advise is, from day one introduce yourself as Giuseppe, and you should have the locals warming to you from the start.
Enjoy your stay there. It's a place I'd very much like to experience for myself one day.
Old Aug 25th 2016, 5:29 pm
Just Joined

Thanks so much. Really appreciate the response.
Old Aug 25th 2016, 10:41 pm
Forum Regular

lindanoto is a splendid one to beholdlindanoto is a splendid one to beholdlindanoto is a splendid one to beholdlindanoto is a splendid one to beholdlindanoto is a splendid one to beholdlindanoto is a splendid one to beholdlindanoto is a splendid one to beholdlindanoto is a splendid one to beholdlindanoto is a splendid one to beholdlindanoto is a splendid one to beholdlindanoto is a splendid one to behold

I live in in Sicily ,now going on 12 years but down in Siracusa province. What made you choose that particular area?
Old Aug 26th 2016, 5:16 pm
Just Joined

Hi lindanoto

A friend has a small house there which I am going to rent for a few months in order to get a feel for the island. If I like it I may well stay as I recently retired from the London Fire Brigade and am looking for a new experience abroad.
Old Aug 26th 2016, 5:26 pm
Forum Regular

lindanoto is a splendid one to beholdlindanoto is a splendid one to beholdlindanoto is a splendid one to beholdlindanoto is a splendid one to beholdlindanoto is a splendid one to beholdlindanoto is a splendid one to beholdlindanoto is a splendid one to beholdlindanoto is a splendid one to beholdlindanoto is a splendid one to beholdlindanoto is a splendid one to beholdlindanoto is a splendid one to behold

Sounds great! Take a look down our way when you are here!
Old Aug 27th 2016, 8:26 pm
Just Joined

Yes, I will take a look as I want to explore the island. Would also be great to get the lowdown on life in Sicily from someone who knows, if that is possible.
Old Feb 5th 2017, 2:50 pm
Just Joined

Jackielewis is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Joe

I just saw your message in this forum, I am exploring moving to Sicily myself and wondered how you got on? I did live and work in Alcamo some ten years ago and I met some wonderful people. Now I am contemplating actually moving out there, I taught English before so I hope I can pick that back up but I just wondered how you got on/are getting on. Please do let me know how you found the experience, best wishes