Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Living in Sicily

Living in Sicily

Old Mar 22nd 2009, 6:05 pm
Forum Regular

paquita is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Living in Sicily

Sounds lovely.What is the name of your bar?
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 12:02 pm
Just Joined

SusanKathleen is an unknown quantity at this point

The bar's name is Paliko. It is right on the beach and work couldn't get any better. Last year there was a British invasion, lots of lads were working nearby and they became permanent fixtures at the place.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 6:28 pm
Forum Regular

paquita is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds ideal in location.Are you not there at all in winter?
Old May 12th 2009, 9:49 pm
Forum Regular

kimmie is an unknown quantity at this point

after.[/QUOTE]
Old Jul 1st 2009, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

enterprise1999 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Living in Sicily

Anyone done the drive down from the UK?....... Any tips will be taken on board.
Old Jul 2nd 2009, 4:29 am
Forum Regular

giuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nice

Originally Posted by enterprise1999
Anyone done the drive down from the UK?....... Any tips will be taken on board.
Yes we have done it several times, but the last time we went to Genoa got on the boat to Palermo, bit like a mini cruise well worth it as it's quite stressful driving through Italy. Leaves Genoa at about 9.30pm and arrives in Palermo at about 4.30 pm next day.
Good idea to invest in a TomTom saves you having maps of Europe in the car.
Old Jul 2nd 2009, 7:49 pm
Forum Regular

Getting a price for the Genoa to Palermo ferry is not easy... was hoping to turn up at the port and see if theres a spare place.... Daughters boyfriends godfather works at the Palermo end and he cant get me anything definite......... So might just keep on driving..... I'd go ryan air but the weight of my tools alone etc etc and of course 90% ofHodderston in Hertforshire will be flying out in July to visit family and friends in Cianciana.........

Might see you over there...... Supply the kettle and I'll bring over the PG tips
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 6:08 am
Forum Regular

giuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nice

http://www3.gnv.it/it/gnv-home/gnv-h...home-page.html
Try this it's the timetable for Grande navi veloce.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 8:58 pm
Just Joined

villagelife is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Living in Sicily

Hi - new to site;
Husband was born in Cianciana so we return regularly - still have family there - and most importantly - mother in law's house!! Although plan is to buy one of our own. Love the pace of life and the unspoilt beaches of Eraclea Minoa.
I am intending to take my laptop with me this year for the first time - landline at the property but have been told I can access the internet using a local sim card??? Does anyone know the process??

xx
Old Jul 24th 2009, 7:03 am
Hil
Forum Regular

Hil is an unknown quantity at this point

Ciao Tutti,
I haven't been on this site for over a year. We're still living in Bella Cianciana, and to quickly answer the internet question, you have quite a few choices now: Alice offers ADSL (with a land line), rates vary from 20-30 euro a month, or pay as you go. You can also use a TIM little pen drive thingy, and also you can gain access through your mobile as well. Additionally, there are signs up all over town, saying the Museo Civico has free internet access now. We'll let everybody know after our guests try it out.
Just so everyone also knows, Cianciana has been offering free Italian lessons at the Centro Sociale, and although many people all over Sicily speak quite a bit of English, you'll meet more people and feel more at home if you can converse in Italian. Anyway, the lessons usually start in October thru May, then it's too warm---aaah.
Hope that's helpful. We've been here about 3 and half years now, and as my huband is English and I'm American, we are exploring the wonderful world of residency as well...so any questions fire away. Oh, we say MyHouse for an agent as well.
Disitinti Saluti
Hilary & David
Old Jul 24th 2009, 6:56 pm
Just Joined

villagelife is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Living in Sicily

Hil

Thanks for the advice regarding internet usage - although after the week I've had with my face stuck to my work pc can't believe I'm even considering taking my laptop with me next week!! We are flying to Cianciana on Wednesday 29th July - first time we will have travelled from Birmingham to Trapani - hope it goes smoothly!! What's the weather like in Cianciana?? (need I ask!!)
Old Jul 25th 2009, 8:12 am
Hil
Forum Regular

HOT, uh really hot at the moment around 37 celsius at 10am, but I think that's supposed to settle down a bit by next week, or you can check this site which is pretty accurate http://www.accuweather.com/world-for...CIANA&metric=1

The lights should be up soon as well, and I think it's around the 1st that they start closing the main road off in the evenings. Trapani airport is small, but all the car rental agencies are there, although we keep finding it better to reserve online first.

Safe Journey
Hilary
Old Aug 14th 2009, 5:53 pm
Forum Regular

The house in Cianciana, Sicily is finally in my name, got the keys and sitting down here in a Palermo apartment trying to get things into some sort of order..... Have to say, things seem to be kicking off ok. IE rang telecom this lunch time, got issued a phone number and an engineer fitting a wire from the pole in the road to my shack next Friday..... 46 euros a month inc' tax, no connetion fees, free modem, line calls and a speed quoted at 7Mbs unlimited use (magic if it is LOL). So I can leave the comunication chanel open on MSN and web cam 24/7.... Plus all my family and friends on post office phone in the UK can call me free at week ends. Bit of a do on in Caincaina Saturday, so I'll drive down in the morning, see a few friends and give it a look..... The street lighting and band seemed in good form yesterday........

By the way, stepping outside my nice aircon room is a struggle...... Think my hollidays will be July, August and September in England.

Anyone fancy saying hello give me a call and meet up for a natter.......

Last edited by enterprise1999; Aug 14th 2009 at 6:02 pm.
Old Aug 14th 2009, 6:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

clint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really nice

Originally Posted by enterprise1999
The house in Cianciana, Sicily is finally in my name, got the keys and sitting down here in a Palermo apartment trying to get things into some sort of order..... Have to say, things seem to be kicking off ok. IE rang telecom this lunch time, got issued a phone number and an engineer fitting a wire from the pole in the road to my shack next Friday..... 46 euros a month inc' tax, no connetion fees, free modem, line calls and a speed quoted at 7Mbs unlimited use (magic if it is LOL). So I can leave the comunication chanel open on MSN and web cam 24/7.... Plus all my family and friends on post office phone in the UK can call me free at week ends. Bit of a do on in Caincaina Saturday, so I'll drive down in the morning, see a few friends and give it a look..... The street lighting and band seemed in good form yesterday........

By the way, stepping outside my nice aircon room is a struggle...... Think my hollidays will be July, August and September in England.

Anyone fancy saying hello give me a call and meet up for a natter.......
Telecom Italia does a package called Teleconomy Internazionale it cost 10€ a month it gives you free calls (no time limit either) to any country in western Europe, USA and Canada
Old Aug 15th 2009, 8:24 am
Hil
Forum Regular

CIAO TO ALL WHO ARE IN CIANCIANA,
Okay it's been hot, and humid. But this is August! It's Ferr'agosto today, so everything closed, and the only day I'd avoid the beach, unless you love crowds etc. But all the lights are on , the amazing loud 6am fireworks went off this morning. I've never known the story behind this, but I think they are mimicking the sound of cannon fire. The band went through town at 7am, and my favorite drummer was about at half past. Aaaah, festivals are magic.

Oh, for our internet 7mb Alice connection, the land line w/ telecom italia is 14 euro a month base, and about 20 month for adsl unlimited usage (plus VAT of course). Outgoing phone calls are pricey, but all incoming are free to us. I'm sure there are many choices now. That's what we have, and for the most part it works great.

Enjoy all the festivities in Cianciana, the refurbished 'villa' is open now. It's the park on the east of town, with amphitheater etc. Oh, and there's a new restaurant!!! We haven't tried it yet, it just opened on Sunday last, but to great reviews. In fact I don't even know the name, but it's on Via Siracusa in a renovated palazzo. (I'm sure someone who's here will fill in the name for me)
Buona Festa
Hilary

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.