Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Living in Sicily

Living in Sicily

Old Mar 2nd 2009, 3:07 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living in Sicily

Originally Posted by Kenny and Moe
It's good now that the rubbish problem is sorted (where I live anyway). I thoroughly enjoy living where I do, although the roads around the place could do with a re-surfacing but no worse than some other countries I have recently been to. Just need the weather to get better now
Our roads usually get re-sufaced in the run up to local elections.
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 7:54 pm

clivob is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kimmie
We have chosen Cianciana as the place to buy a property in Sicily.Whats it like to live there? Whats the climate like? Did you buy your property through an estate agent without any problems etc?Would appreciate any info please.
Hi Kimmie,

Use "My House" estate agents and you will not go wrong - guys (Alfonso & Carmello) are too honest for there own good sometimes and will offer you local properties at local rates (not inflated) Out if the 30 brits that have bought here not one complaint or nasty remark has ever been made against
"MyHouse"If you want we can inroduce you to them - let me know.
Clive
Brit resident in Cianciana
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 9:41 pm
Forum Regular

kimmie is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Living in Sicily

Originally Posted by clivob
Hi Kimmie,

Use "My House" estate agents and you will not go wrong - guys (Alfonso & Carmello) are too honest for there own good sometimes and will offer you local properties at local rates (not inflated) Out if the 30 brits that have bought here not one complaint or nasty remark has ever been made against
"MyHouse"If you want we can inroduce you to them - let me know.
Clive
Brit resident in Cianciana
Thanks for that Clive! I will let you know when I am coming over and would love to meet them!
Old Mar 6th 2009, 11:12 am
Just Joined

TonyG is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there everyone, As I am new to this site I am probably going to repeat alot of questions previously asked so please bear with me. My wife and I are looking to relocate in the next 12 months or so. We have already visited southern Puglia, which we love, and are now coming to Sicily to compare it. We fly into Palermo on Friday 13th March for 10 days and want to tour the coastline predominantly. We will have a hire car but need cheap accommodation during our whistle-stop tour of the island. I have looked at a few of the previously suggested sites briefly but they don't give the prices. Can anyone help us please? Many thanks, Tony.
Old Mar 6th 2009, 11:38 am
Forum Regular

shahaanrider is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Tony

I am in the same boat as you but looking to relocate from Malta. My best way of getting cheap b an b is to use BB.it and scan where you would like to stay. They do have prices. Then I e mail the b an b direct to get an even cheaper price as they are charge by the search engine. So everyone is happy...
Believe me it is a minefield in Sicily re buying so watch out. This will be my second visit to offer again on 2 properties and to see more. The agents dont want to talk with the owners... weird and when they do the price goes up!!!!

I am covering the Ragusa province.

We must keep in touch and compare notes.
Old Mar 6th 2009, 12:33 pm
Just Joined

TonyG is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by shahaanrider
Hi Tony

I am in the same boat as you but looking to relocate from Malta. My best way of getting cheap b an b is to use BB.it and scan where you would like to stay. They do have prices. Then I e mail the b an b direct to get an even cheaper price as they are charge by the search engine. So everyone is happy...
Believe me it is a minefield in Sicily re buying so watch out. This will be my second visit to offer again on 2 properties and to see more. The agents dont want to talk with the owners... weird and when they do the price goes up!!!!

I am covering the Ragusa province.

We must keep in touch and compare notes.
Hi Caz,
Thanks for the quick reply. Really useful info too. Looks like we could well be spending alot of time in the Ragusa area too from what we've seen to date, but obviously we need to see it for ourselves. I come from Malta originally but haven't been back there for many years. I believe Sicily is very similar in many ways. What is it that has attracted you to Sicily?
Tony
P.S. Can't find BB.it - can you be more specific? Thanks

Last edited by TonyG; Mar 6th 2009 at 1:50 pm.
Old Mar 6th 2009, 3:09 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Tony
I have been here for 20 years and have a dog and horses . I want a place with land... too expensive for me here. The life in sicily is like malta but more civilised and the food is so much better. The countryside is like Uk and i enjoyed seeing the green fields and trees. So I get the culture I live with the land I hope .

Just try any of the searches to find b and bs

I am off again to look on Wednesday.

Ciao
Old Mar 7th 2009, 5:45 pm
Just Joined

MOSS is an unknown quantity at this point

I've just moved to SAlemi in SW Sicily...pretty quiet so i signed up here to see if there is anyone else near here ???. Here for work, speaking Italian so i'm settlin in well. Lovely area..but OMG the weather...it just doesn't stop raining. DAvid
Old Mar 14th 2009, 1:13 pm
Forum Regular

Hi

Update on my visit.
More viewings and two under offer. One rejected and one accepted so hot footed to Notary and signed compromesso. Modica Alta for my town house. Still looking for the country home.

I opened a bank account as non residence and can convert to residential once final deeds done.

All the paperwork in place at this stage.

Now ready to tackle the workers and electricty company etc...

Dealing with agents has been like playing brag and i am ok at that. So put int he offer you want and walk away
Old Mar 16th 2009, 8:46 pm
Forum Regular

paquita is an unknown quantity at this point

Lucky you!A house in Modica!!Lovely!!
Old Mar 21st 2009, 12:40 pm
Just Joined

SusanKathleen is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Living in Sicily

Hello Everyone,

I just found this site. I have been living in Sciacca for about two years now. I moved here from Philadelphia, (yes it is a huge change), to be with my then boyfriend. In the past two years, we got married and settled down in Sciacca. I would love to hear your experiences, actually I would love to just speak some good old English for a while.
Old Mar 21st 2009, 1:01 pm
Forum Regular

Hello there!!Welcome to the forum!!
Old Mar 21st 2009, 3:37 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by paquita
Hello there!!Welcome to the forum!!
Thanks. I am assuming you are still in Spain
Old Mar 21st 2009, 6:57 pm
Forum Regular

I am currently in england for a little while but I shall be in Cianciana for xmas and new year so if you want to meet up for a coffee,let me know.How is Sciacca?It is a place that I wish to explore too.
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 5:16 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by paquita
I am currently in england for a little while but I shall be in Cianciana for xmas and new year so if you want to meet up for a coffee,let me know.How is Sciacca?It is a place that I wish to explore too.
Sciacca has it's good points and bad points. During the summer, it comes to life. It is ashame that I work all summer. But those fun times that I was able to make it into town, it really is beautiful. Then there is Carnivale, which is absolutely a brillant time. Everyone from the latest newborn to the oldest grandfather is out in the center of town dancing and singing. Sometimes I think that the Saccense don't realize how beautiful Sciacca really is and the best part is that it is right on the coast. Bad parts, well things seem to be left to nature. But I guess that is sort of a Agrigentinen point of view. It is worth of look around though. I am here permanently so whenever anyone wishes to visit...I don't mind grabbing a drink. Except during the summer, in that case you would need to come to my bar...It is on the beach in between Sciacca and Ribera.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.