Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Living in Reggio Calabria

Living in Reggio Calabria

Old Jul 22nd 2014, 7:17 am
Forum Regular

gioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant future
Default Re: Living in Reggio Calabria

Originally Posted by mahazoha
Thanks Gioppino, when you say 'agitated' do you mean lively/busy or something negative?
A bit of both. I just want to you to be aware that RC has one of the highest crime rates in Italy and that the state doesn't have a steady grip on the territory. We are not talking of pickpocketing here, it's about organized crime. You might not necessarily notice it in your daily life. If you're happy with that, go ahead.
Old Jul 22nd 2014, 7:45 am
Just Joined

mahazoha is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, please do elaborate!
Old Jul 22nd 2014, 9:48 am
Forum Regular

ciquta is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gioppino
We are not talking of pickpocketing here, it's about organized crime. You might not necessarily notice it in your daily life.
You notice when it's time to access public services like health care, rubbish, transports, etc...

Organized crime means high corruption and who pays for that at the end are the citizens.

For pickpocketing i'd say it's safer than Birmingham.
Once I left a designer pair of sunglasses by the beach, when i came back the day after they were still there; they just don't steal if they're not sure who you are.
Old Jul 22nd 2014, 10:16 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

Obviously its a personal opinion,but I started in Tuscany/Veneto like most Brits and gradually worked my way south. South of Rome, I find the people kinder, more honest, the weather better, the food better, the cost of living much much cheaper, the pace of life more amenable - in fact everything that the north of Europe seems have lost. Obviously there are things I wish were more like northern Europe - a state that worked, bureaucracy that isnt there for the sake of being there and so on - but on balance, for me, the south is what I expected Italy to be - a good blow out with good company is the ultimate day out, less commercial, less formal (in some respects) with more emphasis on 'simple pleasures'.
Old Jul 22nd 2014, 6:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

sunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for the straight reply modicasa.

I take it that you can do without the Renaissance wonders.

All the best to sicily from a brit with one foot in sardinia.
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

fleetwoodmac1975 has a brilliant futurefleetwoodmac1975 has a brilliant futurefleetwoodmac1975 has a brilliant futurefleetwoodmac1975 has a brilliant futurefleetwoodmac1975 has a brilliant futurefleetwoodmac1975 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by mahazoha
Hello,

I am completely new to this forum and was hoping for any information about living in Reggio Calabria? I have been offered a 9 month contract as an EFL teacher to work at a language school.

Accomodation is provided and the position would be brilliant in terms of professional development but it does mean leaving my partner in England, hopefully only for 4 months as he is planning to come and join me.

The school also provides 60 hours of Italian lessons but I will start with no Italian whatsoever :S

I'm quite a social person and am just a bit concerned that I wont meet people whilst I'm there. Are many English people living in the area? What is like as a city/town?

Any advice/information would be greatly appreciated!
Have you got your offer in writing?
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 9:32 pm
Just Joined

mahazoha is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fleetwoodmac1975
Have you got your offer in writing?
Yes, I actually currently work in HR at a UK language school so am quite confident in the school and it's professionalism, it's just a massive step to take!
Old Jul 24th 2014, 5:09 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

True - the south is lacking in renaissance wonders to please the eye, but we have a god bit of baroque, and some pretty good classical stuff. I can get my renaissance fix on a long weekend..