Reload this Page >

Living in Reggio Calabria

Living in Reggio Calabria

Old Jul 20th 2014, 4:34 pm
Just Joined

mahazoha is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Living in Reggio Calabria

Hello,

I am completely new to this forum and was hoping for any information about living in Reggio Calabria? I have been offered a 9 month contract as an EFL teacher to work at a language school.

Accomodation is provided and the position would be brilliant in terms of professional development but it does mean leaving my partner in England, hopefully only for 4 months as he is planning to come and join me.

The school also provides 60 hours of Italian lessons but I will start with no Italian whatsoever :S

I'm quite a social person and am just a bit concerned that I wont meet people whilst I'm there. Are many English people living in the area? What is like as a city/town?

Any advice/information would be greatly appreciated!
Old Jul 20th 2014, 5:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to all
Default Re: Living in Reggio Calabria

Originally Posted by mahazoha
Hello,

I am completely new to this forum and was hoping for any information about living in Reggio Calabria? I have been offered a 9 month contract as an EFL teacher to work at a language school.

Accomodation is provided and the position would be brilliant in terms of professional development but it does mean leaving my partner in England, hopefully only for 4 months as he is planning to come and join me.

The school also provides 60 hours of Italian lessons but I will start with no Italian whatsoever :S

I'm quite a social person and am just a bit concerned that I wont meet people whilst I'm there. Are many English people living in the area? What is like as a city/town?

Any advice/information would be greatly appreciated!
Hi and welcome,

I only know Reggio Calabria as a tourist, I'm afraid, so I can't be of much help. Have you thought of asking HERE ?
Old Jul 20th 2014, 5:59 pm
Just Joined

Hello,

Thanks for your reply, I'll definitely have a look at that site. Did you like it as a tourist? Is it relatively lively as a place? Have no idea what to expect but it's a great professional opportunity so I feel like I should give it a go!
Old Jul 20th 2014, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

ciquta is an unknown quantity at this point

Reggio Calabria is beautiful, but it's probably the most poor and less developed region in italy, the one with the highest unemployment rate.

If that is only for 9 months, I suggest you to go cos it would be a interesting experience, the people is nice and the surroundings are really beautiful, but I wouldn't put it on the top list for a move, at least if you mind to job opportunities.
Old Jul 20th 2014, 8:09 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for your response. I just hope I can meet people as I'm quite a social person. Does anyone know if there are many English-speaking people there? I plan to full immerse myself and learn the language but I can imagine that it will take a while!
Old Jul 20th 2014, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

ciquta is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for your response. I just hope I can meet people as I'm quite a social person. Does anyone know if there are many English-speaking people there?
I don't think so, it would be also hard to learn the language since many there speaks a local dialect or at least a very strong accent.

Can you pick different places?
If not just give it a go, but let me suggest you to wait before asking your partner to leave his job to move there, I'm sure you will have a better idea of what it means once you settle there.
Old Jul 20th 2014, 9:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

clint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really nice

Thank you for your response. I just hope I can meet people as I'm quite a social person. Does anyone know if there are many English-speaking people there? I plan to full immerse myself and learn the language but I can imagine that it will take a while!
There are some English speaking people but not many a friend of mine lives there she has done so for a few years. She teaches English but not via language school

When are you going to be in Reggio?
Old Jul 20th 2014, 9:03 pm
Just Joined

Hi Clint,

I'm not sure yet. Does your friend like it there? I really was excited and now I'm starting to think I'm not brave enough!
Old Jul 20th 2014, 10:04 pm
Forum Regular

larryandcaron is on a distinguished road

Hello mahazoha and welcome to the forum, what is the worst that could happen if you don't like it you can always come home. My wife and I wish we had done it years ago I don't know how old you and your partner are but you have probably got plenty of time to try all kinds of experiences, you don't want to look back in 30 years time and wonder what might have been. Good luck and go for it.
Old Jul 20th 2014, 10:12 pm
Forum Regular

cardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond repute

Forget looking for English speakers and grab the opportunity to get fluent in Italian quickly.
Presumably you are Indian or of Indian descent so a good chance to broaden your world horizons.
Old Jul 20th 2014, 10:50 pm
Just Joined

Thanks larryandcaron, you're right, I can always go home if I really can't stand it!

Hi cardi, no, I'm not Indian, whilst my parents originated from Iran i was born and raised in England. I understand what you mean but I think it would be good to be able to communicate with English speakers during inevitable bouts of homesickness.

Thanks to everyone for all the feedback, I'm really grateful. I'd appreciate comments from anyone, particularly if you live/have lived in Reggio Calabria.
Old Jul 21st 2014, 5:07 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

You wont have time to be homesick! I would say go, despite its problems the south of Italy is by far the best bit of Italy for loads of reasons. If you're working you will be busy, and be working with other English speakers. Your students, their families and friends will want to practise their Englihs with you, and there is always Skype, and the internet to keep in touch wiht people. 9 months will go by in a flash.
Old Jul 21st 2014, 7:21 am
Forum Regular

gioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant future

I used to know RC well, but I haven't been there for 30 years. I personally wouldn't live in RC but in some quieter and smaller coastal town, ideally on the Tyrrhenian. RC itself is very interesting but can be a bit "agitated". The area is probably second only to Naples and Palermo in terms of organized crime, so you need to factor this in.

The climate is fantastic and you could make trips to the Aeolian Islands, Sicily and Greece quite easily.

Not the best place to learn Italian as the dialect couldn't be farther away from proper Italian, unless you only speak to academics.
Old Jul 21st 2014, 11:18 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Gioppino, when you say 'agitated' do you mean lively/busy or something negative?

Many thanks
Mahsa
Old Jul 22nd 2014, 7:10 am
BE Enthusiast

sunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by modicasa
I would say go, despite its problems the south of Italy is by far the best bit of Italy for loads of reasons. .
Care to elaborate Modicasa with these "loads of reasons"?

Note - this is not a challenge (tone can be odd online) but a genuine question.

Your answers might of course be interesting to a broad range of folk considering a move to all areas of Italy.

all the best

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.