Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

LIVING IN ITALY - A LOVE/HATE RELATIONSHIP

LIVING IN ITALY - A LOVE/HATE RELATIONSHIP

Old Apr 21st 2008, 7:17 am
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LIVING IN ITALY - A LOVE/HATE RELATIONSHIP

My sister (UK) is of a generation - early 60's - when fur in the UK was wealth. She has more dead animals than the natural history museum! Having said that I had a pure white coney when I was 4 and I can still remember it as being the most beautiful coat ever! Since moving here I am slowly succumbing again - bits trim my collars and cuffs and even my toddlers winter coat, which was a pure white down filled - can't think where the white idea came from.

I do subscribe to the idea that endangered animals are better left with their own coats but minks and sables - nasty rats! And while I eat meat and also know that not all leather and suede is a by product of food - the food animals hides wouldn't be good enough for the really nice stuff - I don't think farmed fur is that much worse than some of the other farmed products we use. And yes, I eat rabbit, so I don't mind a bit of their fur on my clothes if you want to go the by-product route!

Oh and Florence wouldn't have it's coypu colony if someone in Siena (!) hadn't tried to farm them for their fur!
Old Apr 21st 2008, 7:21 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

It's not so much the fur coat in itself (though I wouldn't buy one), it's the statement that seems to go with it here ......... look at me I'm a rich bitch. Especially when they all parade them up and down the steps of the Duomo to show off on a Sunday at church and then as soon as mass is over they all behave in a totally non christian and hypocritical way.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 7:23 am
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

Should add that Spain (central part anyway) and obviously places like Russia still wear fur too. So Italy isn't behind, it's more that the UK follows where the US goes.

Duffer - the fur revival has been happening for about 10 years - D&G regularly use it as do Fendi and a few others. Naomi Campbell had a major fall out with Stella MaCartney quite a few years ago because she was wearing fur in a campaign, not long after doing an anti-fur spot for Stella!!
Old Apr 21st 2008, 7:30 am
The Original Red Head!

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
It's not so much the fur coat in itself (though I wouldn't buy one), it's the statement that seems to go with it here ......... look at me I'm a rich bitch. Especially when they all parade them up and down the steps of the Duomo to show off on a Sunday at church and then as soon as mass is over they all behave in a totally non christian and hypocritical way.
So it's more the message - like Chavs in head to toe Burberry? Or bling and ott trainers? That I can go along with! Although I do like a nice pair of designer sunnies or a decent bag meself! My one and only designer bag is currently the oldest I posses at nearly 15 years old! Can't afford another with two kids! My OH was having a go and saying if I stopped all the Zara purchases I could afford to buy a decent bag - my son then made a crack about my label of choice being "Mercato"! Nice!
Old Apr 21st 2008, 7:34 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TestaRossa
So it's more the message - like Chavs in head to toe Burberry? Or bling and ott trainers? That I can go along with! Although I do like a nice pair of designer sunnies or a decent bag meself! My one and only designer bag is currently the oldest I posses at nearly 15 years old! Can't afford another with two kids! My OH was having a go and saying if I stopped all the Zara purchases I could afford to buy a decent bag - my son then made a crack about my label of choice being "Mercato"! Nice!
I recently read about a new place in London that let's you hire the designer bag of your choice for as long as you need it - even if it's just for a night out.
The girls where I live here might go for something like that as they are SO materialistic but can you imagine asking for a business loan in the bank to buy handbags ???
Old Apr 21st 2008, 7:48 am
The Original Red Head!

I recently read about a new place in London that let's you hire the designer bag of your choice for as long as you need it - even if it's just for a night out.
The girls where I live here might go for something like that as they are SO materialistic but can you imagine asking for a business loan in the bank to buy handbags ???

What a great idea! I wonder if you can get full insurance cover like for a car, so if you badly damage it you are covered? You could re-design the designer bag!

The banks here would probably view it as a "necessity", like coffee!
Old Apr 21st 2008, 7:58 am
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

You will obviously need to provide a couple of free 'samples' to the bank to push the loan through...
Old Apr 21st 2008, 8:22 am

Right - I'm off to do a few ''hated'' errands despite the torrential rain (yet again).
I've promised my English friends on a visit here an all Italian meal tonight so I need supplies. That means waiting patiently at the deli counter while the old biddies make the poor shop girl remove a slice or two of ham from the scales if they go over an exact 200 grams and while they ponder for 10 minutes on what cheese they think they might like tonight !!!
I have to post my sister's birthday present and even though I bought the jiffy bag in the actual post office I'll probably be told that the measurements, weight or overall dimensions mean that it won't comply with posta prioitaria so I'll have to pay extra for registered post instead.
And I have to go to the bank to ask why all of a sudden there is a withdrawl bank charge on my statement for having a bancomat card - when I shouldn't be charged for it. Thieves. Roll on 5pm when it's "wine time" and I can open the first bottle of prosecco without feeling like a guilty alcoholic mum.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 8:23 am
Forum Regular

yellowdog is an unknown quantity at this point

I have to agree on your about the church goers.
My mother in law gets more and more religious as the years go by.
THe dude at the front tells us how we should be good to our neighbour and help each other. But as soon as she gets out the church she trusts and helps noone especially not a stranger and very grudgingly sometimes her own family. This is quite typical for genoans. Sometimes I think its jus the old people but you get in all ages.
My family aren't particularly religious. My parents never pushed us to church but they did teach me right from wrong and to help others. I don't go to church, but I help a damn sight more people than those buoni cataolici I see filing into church sunday morning.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 8:41 am

I'm not particularly religious either but my irish grandparents were so I know how catholicism worked for them - I'm always surprised by how the "rules" seem to have been changed and adapted here. Little ancedote .........
When we moved houses I was heavily pregnant and alone as OH was in Canada. One day as I was happily unpacking another box an old priest knocked on the door saying he was here doing his rounds and had come to bless the house. As we had no idea who'd been living here before and house had been empty for 3 years I thought it wouldn't do any harm - so I gave him the go ahead but told him I had no change so I'd drop something off in the collection box. (I'd heard stories about 50.000 lira being the going rate and was never going to give him that much). Just one year later a newer and younger priest (still in his fifties though) came knocking - again to bless the house.
"But it's already been done Father" I said.
I'm here to do it again - he said.
"Yes but it was only done last year" - I said again.
It's something we do every year - he said and was quite insistent.
I was confused and exasperated and ended up saying ....
"Look Father - I'm sorry but since when oh when has a blessing ever come with an expirary date ????"
Needless to say he was not impressed and left in a huff. My granny's priest in the UK regulary used to call on her when she was poorly - even gave her confession in the house a few times and never once asked her for a penny. I was not impressed with the Italian way of going about things that seemed just another way to get money out of folks.
That priest is in for a shock anyway if he ever comes knocking on my door to ask why my child hasn't been signed up for catechism classes !!!!!!!!!!!
Old Apr 21st 2008, 9:22 am
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

Right - I'm off to do a few ''hated'' errands despite the torrential rain (yet again).
I've promised my English friends on a visit here an all Italian meal tonight so I need supplies. That means waiting patiently at the deli counter while the old biddies make the poor shop girl remove a slice or two of ham from the scales if they go over an exact 200 grams and while they ponder for 10 minutes on what cheese they think they might like tonight !!!
I have to post my sister's birthday present and even though I bought the jiffy bag in the actual post office I'll probably be told that the measurements, weight or overall dimensions mean that it won't comply with posta prioitaria so I'll have to pay extra for registered post instead.
And I have to go to the bank to ask why all of a sudden there is a withdrawl bank charge on my statement for having a bancomat card - when I shouldn't be charged for it. Thieves. Roll on 5pm when it's "wine time" and I can open the first bottle of prosecco without feeling like a guilty alcoholic mum.
You have English friends over? Have you taken them out to any where nice in and around Vicenza? I've got a friend coming over this Thursday and apart from the city centre I'm stuck on ideas. This Friday will be spent in Venice followed by the evening in Verona and then Saturday at the Lake. But I'm stuck for Thursday night - so far I have a walk in the centre but it might be bad weather. Then Saturday night? I don't know...
Old Apr 21st 2008, 9:28 am

Marostica or Bassano ????? Glass of Grappa at the little bar at end of the Alpini Bridge !
Sirmione is a lovely place if weather is nice - old walled mediaeval place - town centre car free and you have to walk over a kind of drawbridge to get into town - right on water's edge too.
Asiago nice if you like mountain towns. I'll keep thinking ....
Old Apr 21st 2008, 10:12 am

I hear that Soave is a lovely quaint old place though I still haven't been myself yet. Might be good for some wine sampling in one of the "cantinas".
Old Apr 21st 2008, 10:15 am

and I know this sounds really naff but if the weather is atrocious what about a wander around the Piramidi shopping place. I'm not a big shopping fan but lots of friends in the past have liked to look around - compare prices on shoes - perfumes - clothes etc and have a couple of drinks and a tramezzino in one of the many bars.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 10:33 am
Pull my finger

Marostica or Bassano ????? Glass of Grappa at the little bar at end of the Alpini Bridge !
Sirmione is a lovely place if weather is nice - old walled mediaeval place - town centre car free and you have to walk over a kind of drawbridge to get into town - right on water's edge too.
Asiago nice if you like mountain towns. I'll keep thinking ....
I think Friday and Saturday are the best days weather wise. So I am thinking to stay around Garda during Saturday. Sirmione in the evening should be nice! Thanks. I would love to go to Bassano but I'll need to find a designated driver first on account of there being hardly any taxis in Vicenza and the need to drive to bars. It's tough doing a pub crawl!
BTW - Soave is definitely on my list of things to do - everytime we drive past and I see the castle from the A4 motorway we say to ourselves the next weekend we are at a loss we'll go there. More often than not we always end up in some shopping centre instead! This saturday we went to the shopping outlet in Mantova for example!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.