Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

living in frascati or Ostea

living in frascati or Ostea

Old Apr 5th 2014, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

yoshers is an unknown quantity at this point
Default living in frascati or Ostea

Considering living in Frascati since it is close to Rome and don't have to deal with the smog/traffic... I would just be going to Rome to sight see, but 'home' base would be here. Also on the list is Ostia.

What does everyone think about living in Frascati or in Ostia for 6 months-1 year? Or is it out of the question and I should definitely live within Rome. If Rome it would have to be outside the tangenziale, I just cant deal with all the pollution and would like to be near some green.

Thanks!
Old Apr 5th 2014, 5:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

chris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nice
Default Re: living in frascati or Ostea

Ostia has a beach (for what it’s worth) night life (in the summer) and a cheap metro connection with Rome but is a bit of a concrete jungle although improving. Frascati is smaller, quainter but not so well connected with Rome, it’s also several degrees colder in winter due to the altitude. There are other options such as Casalpalocco, Olgiata etc depends if you want to live near other expats or not and how much you have to spend on buying or renting.
Old Apr 5th 2014, 5:09 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yoshers
Considering living in Frascati since it is close to Rome and don't have to deal with the smog/traffic... I would just be going to Rome to sight see, but 'home' base would be here. Also on the list is Ostia.

What does everyone think about living in Frascati or in Ostia for 6 months-1 year? Or is it out of the question and I should definitely live within Rome. If Rome it would have to be outside the tangenziale, I just cant deal with all the pollution and would like to be near some green.

Thanks!
Yoshers - take it you mean outside the GRA vice tengenziale?

Rome is a capital city and is busy - no suprises there: however, there are some very green areas within. I live just a 5 minute walk from Parco Appia Antica which is incredibly green! A Friend of mine lives near the beautiful park of Villa Pamphiji, there is Villa Ada too near another friend.

Ostia, on the other hand is a bit of a concrete jungle with lots of private beach clubs along the sea front not residences. Moreover, it is manic with Roman's heading out there at the weekend. The traffic is unbelievable when you try and leave Sunday afternoon but the metro is good to take you into Rome for only 1.5 euro less saturday and sunday afternoons during the rientro.

Frascati is out in the country as you say but not so well linked public transport wise, I am off out there tomorrow so will cast my eye around and share some thoughts if it would be helpful.

Finally, where is this smog of which you speak? I'd like to go and see it as I have never experienced it myself!

Last edited by Garbatellamike; Apr 5th 2014 at 5:09 pm. Reason: Chris types quicker than me but interestingly we both used concrete jungle for Ostia
Old Apr 5th 2014, 5:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by chris120
Ostia has a beach (for what it’s worth) night life (in the summer) and a cheap metro connection with Rome but is a bit of a concrete jungle although improving. Frascati is smaller, quainter but not so well connected with Rome, it’s also several degrees colder in winter due to the altitude. There are other options such as Casalpalocco, Olgiata etc depends if you want to live near other expats or not and how much you have to spend on buying or renting.
Casalpalocco and Olgiata are new to me, Olgiata seems too isolated (100% need a car)? And Casalpalocco seems like a concrete jungle also...

What is the 'etc' (if they are even worth mentioning).

Will be renting and it's only me (35 year old male) price is not an issue since I don't have a family etc...

Would be nice to 'meet people' easily if possible - if that means having more expats around then great.
Old Apr 5th 2014, 5:37 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike
Yoshers - take it you mean outside the GRA vice tengenziale?

Rome is a capital city and is busy - no suprises there: however, there are some very green areas within. I live just a 5 minute walk from Parco Appia Antica which is incredibly green! A Friend of mine lives near the beautiful park of Villa Pamphiji, there is Villa Ada too near another friend.

Ostia, on the other hand is a bit of a concrete jungle with lots of private beach clubs along the sea front not residences. Moreover, it is manic with Roman's heading out there at the weekend. The traffic is unbelievable when you try and leave Sunday afternoon but the metro is good to take you into Rome for only 1.5 euro less saturday and sunday afternoons during the rientro.

Frascati is out in the country as you say but not so well linked public transport wise, I am off out there tomorrow so will cast my eye around and share some thoughts if it would be helpful.

Finally, where is this smog of which you speak? I'd like to go and see it as I have never experienced it myself!
Yes! Would love to hear what you think about Frascati...

I meant outside the small inner circle around rome ( inside GRA is doable ). Pamphilj/Ada are too center, but Parco Appia Antica seems nice.

What I liked about Frascati is it seems you can get around without a car inside the town.

re: smog, I am not sure ( have never been to rome ) but I have read it can get bad. I'm living in Barcelona now and it's very polluted in the city, I'm sick of it.

Ostia now sounds out for me then...
Old Apr 5th 2014, 6:26 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Yes! Would love to hear what you think about Frascati...

I meant outside the small inner circle around rome ( inside GRA is doable ). Pamphilj/Ada are too center, but Parco Appia Antica seems nice.

What I liked about Frascati is it seems you can get around without a car inside the town.

re: smog, I am not sure ( have never been to rome ) but I have read it can get bad. I'm living in Barcelona now and it's very polluted in the city, I'm sick of it.

Ostia now sounds out for me then...
Ah OK got you. I would say that Olgiata has nice houses and a very good golf course but is very very very very very expensive and you are right on the absolute need for a car. It is a a US-like gated community, where the other half live, by which I mean bankers, politicians, thieves etc. Not a goer for normal people.

Off to Frascati and Monte Compatri in the morning so will report back.

Smog in Rome, I have never had a problem and I used to run home from work every day before I trashed my knee.
Old Apr 5th 2014, 6:31 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Casalpalocco and Olgiata are new to me, Olgiata seems too isolated (100% need a car)? And Casalpalocco seems like a concrete jungle also...

What is the 'etc' (if they are even worth mentioning).

Will be renting and it's only me (35 year old male) price is not an issue since I don't have a family etc...

Would be nice to 'meet people' easily if possible - if that means having more expats around then great.
What sort of budget do you hve for rental as that will be the key issue and what are you looking for in terms of house, appartment?

Try subito.it to get an idea of rentals
Old Apr 7th 2014, 7:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Isakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond repute

From all the places mentioned Frascati is the nicest.

I completely disagree that it is not well connected:

-You have Tuscolana that takes you to Rome ( by car or buses)

-Anagnina the same

-the best link is the motorway A1 to Napoli, that takes you in 10 min. to the GRA, using the MP Catone junction, which is 5 min from Frascati.

-you have a train station in the town centre with trains every hour/takes 30 min to Termini.

-or you can use the fast trains from Cassino to Termini from Tor Vergata Station which is 15/20 min. walk from the town centre, which do not stop in Capanelle, just Ciampino and then Rome and are slightly faster.

Frascati is one of the most beautiful cities in Castelli, surrounded by vineyards, with amazing views of Rome, vibrant night life, excellent restaurants and cultured people.
Plenty of rental properties and 10 min.down the road you have the Tor Vergata and Romanina shopping centres.
Several sports centres, open pools, schools, English pre-school/ elementary, etc.

Ostia has no charm, apart from going there to sizzle in the summer on the beaches that do not even have clear water.

Montecompatri has a good strategic position, but it is much higher than Frascati and it is colder in both winter and summer, hence higher heating bills, plus the people are closed, typical paesani.

And Olgiata is a gated compound of the rich-you will not experience the Italian life there, especially after you had battled with rude drivers on the Cassia to get in and out of the Residential area.
It is fine if you want to play golf, send your children to the local English school or spend time by your pool.

Frascati is an excellent base to explore both Rome and the Castelli Romani and Tivoli.
Old Apr 7th 2014, 7:15 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Originally Posted by Isakat
From all the places mentioned Frascati is the nicest.

I completely disagree that it is not well connected:

-You have Tuscolana that takes you to Rome ( by car or buses)

-Anagnina the same

-the best link is the motorway A1 to Napoli, that takes you in 10 min. to the GRA, using the MP Catone junction, which is 5 min from Frascati.

-you have a train station in the town centre with trains every hour/takes 30 min to Termini.

-or you can use the fast trains from Cassino to Termini from Tor Vergata Station which is 15/20 min. walk from the town centre, which do not stop in Capanelle, just Ciampino and then Rome and are slightly faster.

Frascati is one of the most beautiful cities in Castelli, surrounded by vineyards, with amazing views of Rome, vibrant night life, excellent restaurants and cultured people.
Plenty of rental properties and 10 min.down the road you have the Tor Vergata and Romanina shopping centres.
Several sports centres, open pools, schools, English pre-school/ elementary, etc.

Ostia has no charm, apart from going there to sizzle in the summer on the beaches that do not even have clear water.

Montecompatri has a good strategic position, but it is much higher than Frascati and it is colder in both winter and summer, hence higher heating bills, plus the people are closed, typical paesani.

And Olgiata is a gated compound of the rich-you will not experience the Italian life there, especially after you had battled with rude drivers on the Cassia to get in and out of the Residential area.
It is fine if you want to play golf, send your children to the local English school or spend time by your pool.

Frascati is an excellent base to explore both Rome and the Castelli Romani and Tivoli.
I completely agree with all of that having been at Frascati yesterday and having played golf at Olgiata on Saturday.

I really liked Monte Compatri but that said it was a beautiful sunny day and maybe will be completely different in winter. Not sure anyone there spoke English though. My city-living Italian mates also made the same paesani comment as Isakat!

Frascati area definitely worth a look.

Last edited by Garbatellamike; Apr 7th 2014 at 7:54 am. Reason: Eglish is not actually a language
Old Apr 7th 2014, 7:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Isakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike
I completely agree with all of that having been at Frascati yesterday and having played golf at Olgiata on Saturday.

I really liked Monte Compatri but that said it was a beautiful sunny day and maybe will be completely different in winter. Not sure anyone there spoke Eglish though. My city-living Italian mates also made the same paesani comment as Isakat!

Frascati area definitely worth a look.
Glad you liked it Mike, next time pop in for coffee, I am not far.

At least you had better time than me yesterday-getting suffocated by comic character dressed teenagers in the Fiera si Roma( horrible place, nothing like other exhibition halls).
At least DD enjoyed it, forget me.....
Old Apr 11th 2014, 7:28 am
BE Enthusiast

sunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond repute

A quick question from an outsider* on the line to Ostia since folks on this thread seem to know it intimately.

Anyone know what the situation is with regards to taking a bike on that line?

It may be a fully loaded tourer.

Can you take bikes at all? ie: Are there any total or time of day restrictions?

Do you have to pay extra for the bike? (I know that on normal railways in Italy you usually have to - it is a matter of concern to the Italian cycling lobby)

I have been on that line a few years ago - to the wonderful Ostia Antica. Can't remember if it was a "metro" as such then - I recall it being a sort of suburban railway with the odd dip underground.

I do recall it pulling into one station that looked a bit edgy but maybe I was in an unusually nervy mood that day - normally I'll go anywhere.

Did I quickly misread a post above or is the cost only 1.5E?

* confession - I'm not an expat but do have certain strong links with Italy - please be nice to me.
Old Apr 11th 2014, 5:30 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Originally Posted by sunnysider
A quick question from an outsider* on the line to Ostia since folks on this thread seem to know it intimately.

Anyone know what the situation is with regards to taking a bike on that line?

It may be a fully loaded tourer.

Can you take bikes at all? ie: Are there any total or time of day restrictions?

Do you have to pay extra for the bike? (I know that on normal railways in Italy you usually have to - it is a matter of concern to the Italian cycling lobby)

I have been on that line a few years ago - to the wonderful Ostia Antica. Can't remember if it was a "metro" as such then - I recall it being a sort of suburban railway with the odd dip underground.

I do recall it pulling into one station that looked a bit edgy but maybe I was in an unusually nervy mood that day - normally I'll go anywhere.

Did I quickly misread a post above or is the cost only 1.5E?

* confession - I'm not an expat but do have certain strong links with Italy - please be nice to me.
Hi Sunnysider it is an overground railway but counts as part of the metro so is in the 1.50 ticket. You will be lucky to get yourself on during the rush hour let alone a bike but outside that time should not be an issue. Rush hour is heavy inbound in the morning and outbound early evening and of course sat and sun have the reverse commuters to the beach which is also chaotic.
Old Apr 11th 2014, 5:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

sunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond repute

many thanks for the detailed reply Garbatellamike - I may use it then.

For you Romans who fancy pedalling it (and it will doubtless be easier on some of those roads with lots of folk around you) the 2014 edition of this is coming up - I know someone who's planning to do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKTmnSv0mNM