Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

LIDL - British Week

LIDL - British Week

Old Oct 15th 2009, 3:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute
Default LIDL - British Week

Lidl are having a British Week next week. (starts Monday ) Loads of goodies like cheddar and shortbread and mint sauce and crisps and Pickle and Porridge.........

I'm getting excited at the thought of cheddar and wanted to ask - does anyone know if you can freeze cheese ??? If so I'm buying the whole lot
Old Oct 15th 2009, 4:59 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LIDL - British Week

Yes you can! I bought my dad, many years ago, a selection of old english cheeses for one of his birthdays and we froze most of them. You need to take them out of any plastic wrapping, then re-wrap them in grease proof or the equivalent here, then wrap this in tin foil. You can then, if you want, put them in a plastic bag, but it isn't necessary. Also cut them into the size you would want to use them - if you defrost a piece it will need using reasonably quickly. You can also grate it straight from the freezer then replace well wrapped again. I probably wouldn't leave them in there for more than 3 months though as it will start to break down and be unusable..

I'm hoping to go to one next week as I'd heard about this offer over on the other expats!
Old Oct 15th 2009, 6:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks so much for that TR. Now I know I can go and buy a load of it !!

I freeze milk and that works ok too. (dont laugh - cos I live in the middle of nowhere - I thought it'd be useful to sometimes have a stock of milk cos I really hate the UHT stuff !! growing up in the Channel Islands I never even knew that UHT existed )
Old Oct 15th 2009, 6:32 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

Lucky you! I wish I'd never known it existed! The stuff in the UK makes me physically sick - really! I react to something in it an throw up! I've frozen milk before now - the laugh is defrosting it!!
Old Oct 16th 2009, 6:49 am
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

Yes they had the same thing last year too. I bought some porridge with maple syrup. They had a frozen ready made roast beef dinner too!
Old Oct 16th 2009, 7:59 am
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of

ohhh there is a new one just opened up near here so I will have to go and check it out on monday now.... only have a little tiny freezer though so no freezing cheddar for me!

we buy scremato uht for our tea but that's it. It has to be scremato as the others all taste yukky cos of the fat in the milk. The way they treat it does something disgusting to it. It works when you're short of fridge space and buy parzialmente for cereal and the kids to drink but we find this too rich in our tea and coffee.
Old Oct 16th 2009, 10:41 am
BE Enthusiast

PAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the information, I was missing my porridge for breakfast.
Old Oct 16th 2009, 11:03 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patty
Lidl are having a British Week next week. (starts Monday ) Loads of goodies like cheddar and shortbread and mint sauce and crisps and Pickle and Porridge.........

I'm getting excited at the thought of cheddar and wanted to ask - does anyone know if you can freeze cheese ??? If so I'm buying the whole lot
I always freeze my cheese. Eataly had cheddar a fortnight ago, but it was €34 a kilo. I get mine by post from the Cheddar Gorge Company. Similar cost (including postage), but excellent quality.
Old Oct 16th 2009, 12:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by 37100
I always freeze my cheese. Eataly had cheddar a fortnight ago, but it was €34 a kilo. I get mine by post from the Cheddar Gorge Company. Similar cost (including postage), but excellent quality.
My dh wants to know whether Eataly do raisins?? The sultanas here don't cut it apparently I haven't been for a while... it kinda made my pockets seize up tbh!! Porridge oats would be good too... the coop started doing them recently but they have stopped again... I can buy in the health food shop, but that can get a bit pricey!
Old Oct 16th 2009, 2:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Indie - you can get Quaker porridge oats in a round tin (?) at PAM.
There is one in Lingotto. I went last winter and bought about 8 tins cos I love porridge (I dip bread and butter in it ....yummy )
Old Oct 16th 2009, 3:12 pm
The Original Red Head!

I'm surprised porridge isn't more easily available, other than the Quaker oats - we get it here too, when I arrived nearly 3 years ago it was €6 a tin now it is well under €4 so it must be more popular and cheaper to import because of the exchange rate I guess!

My friend who goes up to the dolomites every summer brought me bags of the stuff back. It's proper porridge though so takes a bit longer to cook, which means I always burn it!! It's called Kolln echte kernige and is in blue and yellow bags. Don't know if that helps....
Old Oct 16th 2009, 4:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ohhh might have to go to PAM then. There is one near here in Leini too. Dh says that it sounds expensive I love proper porridge and use the oats for loads of things. We often make our own Granola and museli and I do like porridge with a drizzle of maple syrup too, especially when the weather is parky like it is at the moment. It was actually luxury to take the kids to the pool this afternoon as it is lovely and warm there!!
Old Oct 16th 2009, 8:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Last year at PAM it was only about 2.95 a tin - hopefully it wont have gone up too much ? Still it is nice to get your oats
Old Oct 17th 2009, 7:07 am
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

Got my cheddar cheese from Lidl on Friday night. It says its the mature variety made in Staffordshire! Will have a welsh rare bit for lunch today with topping of worcester sauce.
Old Oct 17th 2009, 7:11 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by duffer
Got my cheddar cheese from Lidl on Friday night. It says its the mature variety made in Staffordshire! Will have a welsh rare bit for lunch today with topping of worcester sauce.
The Lidl website doesn't say anything about British week.
Guess I'll just have to drive down there and see what they have, wouldn't mind a bit of cheese on toast myself or lashings of cheddar on a jacket spud.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.