Reload this Page >

Laundry List of Questions- Florence, Italy

Laundry List of Questions- Florence, Italy

Old Jan 8th 2014, 1:09 am
Just Joined

7thunders is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Laundry List of Questions- Florence, Italy

Hello all!

I am planning a move from America to Florence, Italy in early summer of 2015. I have spent countless hours on the internet researching but this seems to leave me even more confused. My biggest concern is employment and how to support myself financially. I have a bachelor's degree in criminal justice and have been a licensed private investigator for 15 years. If anyone could assist me with the following questions- I would be forever grateful! Fear is quite overwhelming at the moment!

1. Where is a web link to find long term housing (as everything I have found is by the day)
2. How do I choose a location? I will be on an extremely limited budget most likely and would prefer a very safe, local neighborhood vs. the tourist neighborhoods. I have heard that prices are double in the tourist areas of Florence.
3. Does anyone know about any American law schools in Florence? I would like to explore that option.
4. Does anyone have any recommendation on how to land a local job? Where are they posted daily? Or International companies that hire American expats would be of great help!
5. What could I expect to pay monthly for a 2 bedroom, simple but clean and full of character apartment, villa, etc (I really don't know the different between a flat, a villa, an apartment if someone would like to explain)
6. Do I obtain a Visa before arrival or once I arrive?
7. Would anyone be willing to provide a list of their monthly cost of living and expense? I will not have a car and plan to utilize public transportation and live very simple so that I can travel Europe over the next 10 years.
8. Is there snow? What are the F* temperatures throughout the year? I live in extreme cold, snow and wind and definitely am not looking for the same climate
9. Is it true that Italian rentals do not come with kitchens?
10. Is there a large support of expats in Florence?

Thank you all so very much in advance! I searched and searched and even searched this board without any definitive answers!
Old Jan 8th 2014, 7:00 am
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Laundry List of Questions- Florence, Italy

Welcome aboard the good ship Italia. Very leaky ship at the moment, and nothing is definitive in Italy, as you are finding out. Your questions need a bit of time and consideration to answer properly: but someone will be along shortly no doubt.
ciao for now,
'o nonno

Last edited by ononno; Jan 8th 2014 at 7:01 am. Reason: typo
Old Jan 8th 2014, 9:27 am
BE Enthusiast

linseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond repute

I can only add you have chosen the most expencive tow in Italy to live
even the floretines have a job to manage , even a coffie or a snack is very exepencive but all the same welcome and someone will be along to help you as I cant I live in abruzzo , were I can have a lounch for the price of a capocinoin florece
Old Jan 8th 2014, 11:50 am
BE Forum Addict

HADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond repute

Thats a fairly long list of questions , some of which you could probably research on the web , try http://www.theflorentine.net which is local expat community .
Old Jan 8th 2014, 12:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Capo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting user name. Wouldn't it be better for you to come over for a short holiday? That way you will be able to get a much better feel for things.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 2:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

HADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Capo Boi
Interesting user name. Wouldn't it be better for you to come over for a short holiday? That way you will be able to get a much better feel for things.
is it 7 -thunders or 7th- unders do you think
Old Jan 8th 2014, 8:27 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

#6 should be #1. No visa, no immigration. Do you even qualify for a visa? Or are you eligible for ancestral visa (Italy - I'm not sure how Italy handles descendants of Italian emigrants) or any European Onion passport? (any EU citizen can legally work in any EU country.)

Until you have identified a way to legitimately live (long term) and work in Italy, ALL your other questions are putting the cart before the horse.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 8th 2014 at 8:29 pm.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 3:28 am
Just Joined

Thank you to all who have replied. Unfortunately, with further research, I have learned that the weather in Florence is a tad too harsh for me. At first, I didn't want to choose my favorite location of Rome based on the distance to other countries that I want to travel by train to but I decided to go with my heart and choose Rome. On the visa- I am looking at all options, including attending law school on a student visa. I have zero heritage in Italy as my relatives are both from Denmark (immigrated to America in 1924). My battle right now appears to be finding a web site for rentals that are not for vacation and by the day. So, my first question now would be a relatively inexpensive suburb of northern Rome (I read most expats live in N. Rome) but extremely safe. Safety is of course very important to me but I want to live as simply as possible (not in filth or poverty area of course) and save my monies for travel to see all that the EU has to offer!

Thank you!
Old Jan 9th 2014, 4:51 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

In no particular order - I would apply for Danish citizenship as it would be easy and thatwould make you European and would mean you could go to Italy easily.
Nothing is easy in Italy at the moment. Climate is the least of your problems. You will need about 2000 USD a month to live (rent,food, travel) basically - and more if you plan to 'live'. If you're going to stay in Rome there is a large US expat population - try expats in italy or internations. A long term rental may not come with a kitchen. A rental of up to18months will come furnished. American law schools - Why would there be? I would do some more research, even Rome is not immune to cold weather.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 1:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Isakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond repute

Regarding the weather in Rome, are you aware that it can snow in winter and then all the roads are impassable even with a couple of inches of snow and the summer( July, August) can be unbearable with temperatures between 30 -40 centigrade?
Regarding safety, as long as you do not choose Tor Bella Monaca, you should be fine.
I recently asked one of our good friends who was born and raised in Washington DC whether he feels safe in Rome and he replied -absolutely, no comparison to his birth town.

I am not sure if most expats live in the North of Rome. It depends on your pocket really. People live where they can afford to and close to their work if possible.

I would suggest the same as Modicasa and Pulaski advised you-get yourself a Danish passport or sort out a visa before you come. The jobs market is bad, so make sure you have enough money to live on.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 2:54 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by modicasa
In no particular order - I would apply for Danish citizenship as it would be easy ....
No, that would not be easy, it would be difficult, verging on practically impossible, given that (i) you must be a permanent resident of Denmark to become a Danish citizen, (ii) you have to live in Denmark for nine years to be eligible, and (iii) Denmark does not allow dual citizenship, and will strip you of your Danish citizenship if you obtain another citizenship. Wiki on Danish citizenship.

So, back to the OP's question #6 (my #1): how are you going to get a visa to live and work in Italy?
Old Jan 10th 2014, 4:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

One exception to this is if a person is born of a Danish parent in a country that grants citizenship under the principle of jus soli.[3] In October 2011, the newly elected centre-left coalition government has indicated its intention to permit dual citizenship.[4][5]
Old Jan 11th 2014, 1:56 am
Just Joined

Thank you for all of the wonderful information. I've spent the past 2 days researching areas of Rome and think that I am leaning towards Monti or Prati. Choosing the location was the first step that I needed to take (my opinion of course). Now, I have to find a job in this area, which I know many say how difficult it is to find work in Italy at the moment but on other boards (and expats that I have interacted with) didn't have any issues. So, that topic seems to be split by most. Their biggest issue is the bureaucracy of the legal aspects. Again, thank you all! Anyone familiar with Monti or Prati- rent, transportation, ANY advice or information is more than welcome!
Old Jan 11th 2014, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by modicasa
One exception to this is if a person is born of a Danish parent in a country that grants citizenship under the principle of jus soli.[3] In October 2011, the newly elected centre-left coalition government has indicated its intention to permit dual citizenship.[4][5]
OK, but with the OP's ancestors having come from Denmark more than 80 years ago, they are certainly not his parents, and probably not his grandparents either, that would be a stretch even if they immigrated as children.

If he has no path to Danish citizenship (which he clearly does not, at least in any practical way) then even IF the law is changed to allow dual citizenship, his right to retain US citizenship as a dual citizen is entirely moot.

Meanwhile he ploughs blissfully on with his plans as if the lack of a visa is a mere technicality.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 11th 2014 at 12:28 pm.
Old Jan 12th 2014, 7:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pulaski

Meanwhile he ploughs blissfully on with his plans as if the lack of a visa is a mere technicality.
Very true -

I read 'relatives' as 'parents' - so have to apologise for reading his haste - but they could easily be his grandparents! Its only 1924!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.