Language Test

Old Mar 6th 2018, 10:29 am
Forum Regular

Kevin_P is on a distinguished road
Default Language Test

As normal, I'm struggling with conflicting information. There are a number of sites that suggest a Level A2 Italian test is required to be undertaken within a certain time scale. If this doesn't apply to EU persons - does it apply to non-EU? In other words, in a post Brexit arrangement, might new UK applicants need to undertake this test? Has any EU or non EU person had experience of this either within their initial 5 years or post 5 years ie permanent residency?
Old Mar 6th 2018, 12:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Language Test

with rgard to what? residency or citizenship?
Obviously any test that is for non Eu, will be applicable to Brits after Brexit.
Old Mar 6th 2018, 1:14 pm
Forum Regular

It relates to Italian Language Test for EU Long Term Residence Permit applicants. My understanding is that foreign citizens who wish to request a long term EU residence permit must have regularly lived in Italy for at least 5 years and have an income and an appropriate home for both self and immediate family. When requesting the residence permit, one must demonstrate a competence in Italian at level A2 of the EU Framework? For example see: How to enrol for the Italian Language Test for the EU Long Term Residence Permit. - Pratomigranti
Old Mar 6th 2018, 1:51 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Again, there is no longer term residency permit for EU citizens. The is residency, end of. You roll up at the comune with your passport etc and they register you as a resident. Your link is for non EU nationals applying for an EU long term residents permit at their local Questura.
Old Mar 6th 2018, 1:55 pm
Forum Regular

Yes but I'm speculating on whether post Brexit UK citizens will be treated the same as non EU ie taking the Questura route. So this suggests that in fact non EU persons (which UK citizens will be after March 2019) need to take a language test?
Old Mar 6th 2018, 2:45 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kevin_P
Yes but I'm speculating on whether post Brexit UK citizens will be treated the same as non EU ie taking the Questura route. So this suggests that in fact non EU persons (which UK citizens will be after March 2019) need to take a language test?
You won't know, well no-one will, what might or might not be required for UK citizens to live in Italy until everything is decided, so I certainly wouldn't worry until that happens, and in any case there will be a transition period so that will be the time to sort things out, it's no use trying to sort things out that you can't sort out yet.
Old Mar 6th 2018, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

I agree. However, knowing who does take the test might be helpful to me.
Old Mar 6th 2018, 3:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Learning a bit of Italian is certain to be useful even if not required.

The port of Rotterdam is getting ready for hardest Brexit and so should UK citizens in living in Europe.
Old Mar 6th 2018, 3:54 pm
Forum Regular

Yes I agree. I'm learning Italian. I understand all these things. However, I don't want this thread to close on that basis! There is a Language Test for EU long term residence (just Google it). However, does anyone know who is required to sit this test at present? Is it on-EU? Is it for citizenship only? I don't know!
Old Mar 6th 2018, 3:59 pm
Forum Regular

Has any EU or non-EU person ever had to sit this exam at ANY stage of their application?
Old Mar 6th 2018, 6:02 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

This is British expats. British expats don't have to take the exam so you are not likely to find anyone who can answer your question.
Old Mar 6th 2018, 6:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Red_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond repute

I think there are two things.

1) At this point in time, and assuming there will be no agreement and thus hard Brexit, as it looks at this moment in time, Brits will be third country nationals and have to take whatever residency tests that other third country nationals (eg, American, African, Asian) have to take there now.

2) You talk about '' taking the Questura route'' in one of your posts, as if you can smell a loop hole.
No: as everyone has told you, there is no EU long term residence permit. A permanent residence permit relates only to the country where you obtain it, and you lose it if you spend a certain amount of time resident outside that particular country. You can't get the visa in Italy then move to live in Germany, for example, without obtaining EU citizenship of an EU country. This is the rule now, and nobody has a crystal ball.
But if sniffing out a possible workaround is your aim as it appears (rightly or wrongly), I would direct you to Section 34 of the EUs publication last week: it dispels any hope we might have of what is termed onward movement.

If maintaining your four freedoms is important to you, as it is vital to many of us who live on the mainland and have to work cross-borders, then I would advise you to be involved with the various campaigns who are fighting for our rights to maintain our lives without a ball and chain shackling us as is proposed. <snipped>

Last edited by BEVS; Mar 6th 2018 at 9:38 pm. Reason: Perhaps PM . BE is not the platform as it remains neutral.
Old Mar 8th 2018, 9:32 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I agree. I'm learning Italian. I understand all these things. However, I don't want this thread to close on that basis! There is a Language Test for EU long term residence (just Google it). However, does anyone know who is required to sit this test at present? Is it on-EU? Is it for citizenship only? I don't know!
WHAT???
I've been here for over twenty years as a resident and have never sat a test, never been asked to sit a test and never even been asked if I have done an Italian language course or gained any kind of certification.
I'm a resident- full stop. There is no short or long residency. You either are or you aren't. You're on the books at the town hall or you aren't.
Old Mar 9th 2018, 7:20 am
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
WHAT???
I've been here for over twenty years as a resident and have never sat a test, never been asked to sit a test and never even been asked if I have done an Italian language course or gained any kind of certification.
I'm a resident- full stop. There is no short or long residency. You either are or you aren't. You're on the books at the town hall or you aren't.

why oh why do folks insist on tying themselves up in knots about stupid non regulations.
Why make an arabesque out of a straight line from a to b.
that's what the local burocrats do.
Old Mar 9th 2018, 10:24 am
Just Joined

Kenzo14 has a brilliant futureKenzo14 has a brilliant futureKenzo14 has a brilliant futureKenzo14 has a brilliant futureKenzo14 has a brilliant futureKenzo14 has a brilliant future

Sounds a little bit like "I saw it on the internet so it must be true!"

I would say just listen to the people who have boots on the ground here. None of us have taken a test. I certainly haven't. Infact on my way to residency I did many things that the comune just looked at me and said it wasn't needed.

Ultimately to reach A2 you will need very basic Italian, such as do you know how to respond to Come stai? in both the negative and positive sense. Do you have a basic grasp of masucline and feminine words etc.

No one is going to expect you to be able to translate Shakespere.

And that is if the test even exists for residency....which it doesnt...

Kenzo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.