Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

ITALY IS GOOD FOR YOUR HEALTH

ITALY IS GOOD FOR YOUR HEALTH

Old Feb 16th 2011, 7:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Margaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ITALY IS GOOD FOR YOUR HEALTH

Originally Posted by 6monthshere6monthsthere
OK

Newsflash. The weather IS GREAT, compared to WINTER in Scotland.

January in Sicily was like late April or Early May in Edinburgh! Actually, the weather in DECEMBER was/is better than the weather you get in the PEAK OF SUMMER in Scotland!
Wasn't it Billy Connoly who said "there are two seasons in Scotland, winter and August"
Old Feb 16th 2011, 2:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

dina1965 will become famous soon enoughdina1965 will become famous soon enough

OK

Well, if you have serious health problems then aint going to change with a little better diet and more exercise.

I do not drink so there is no issue there.

Duffer are you in the North? I ask as I have been through Milan and Bologna airports probably 10 times and I would be hate to live in those places! The weather is brutal ESP Milan! Frikkin Fog, every time. Then the Summer you have no beach.

I am powered by sunlight! Sicily by the sea works for me.

No curries
No chips

No winter (Ok, it rained etc, but its NOT WINTER!!) friends were telling me before I went, that the weather is not great etc.

Newsflash. The weather IS GREAT, compared to WINTER in Scotland.

January in Sicily was like late April or Early May in Edinburgh! Actually, the weather in DECEMBER was/is better than the weather you get in the PEAK OF SUMMER in Scotland!

Another way to look at it,

Scotland is BAD for your health!

k
Just got back today after four days in Edinburgh (OH and son wanted to watch the game last Saturday). Although it is a beautiful city and the surrounding glens/lochs are extraordinarily beautiful, the food and weather are terrible. We got home at 14.30 and at 15.10 we were sitting down to a plate of pasta ....
Old Feb 16th 2011, 2:52 pm
Banned

6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute

Went for a coffee with a friend on Friday and pub was jam packed with pissed up rugby fans, ended up in waterstones on George St.

PAH, busy pubs full of drunks, not for me.

k
Old Feb 17th 2011, 5:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

dina1965 will become famous soon enoughdina1965 will become famous soon enough

Went for a coffee with a friend on Friday and pub was jam packed with pissed up rugby fans, ended up in waterstones on George St.

PAH, busy pubs full of drunks, not for me.

k
My OH was surprised to see the signs on the INSIDE of the stadium stating "no alcohol beyond this point". Basically you can drink as much beer as you like before, during and after the game but only if you buy and consume within the stadium gates ! Saturday night the streets were packed with loud, drunken so-called fans.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 8:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice

I put weight on when I went to Italy. I don't gorge on chips and curry in England. DH got high BP in Italy. The good thing about the UK for me is that food isn't swimming in oil. We went to Italy a few weeks ago and felt completely stuffed and bloated when we came back - and the SALT! My god, so much of it is used.

It depends on the lifestyle you lead in Italy or UK.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 10:42 pm
Forum Regular

internationalbefky is just really niceinternationalbefky is just really niceinternationalbefky is just really niceinternationalbefky is just really niceinternationalbefky is just really niceinternationalbefky is just really niceinternationalbefky is just really niceinternationalbefky is just really nice

Originally Posted by .Ariel.

It depends on the lifestyle you lead in Italy or UK.
Couldn't agree more, I have a much healthier lifestyle in Britain because I have time to cook healthy meals with lots of vegetables and little fat, and there are also more opportunities over there for keeping fit - classes, gyms, affordable sportswear etc etc...

Over here I have to tell myself that the tomato paste and dead mushrooms on my pizza count towards my five a day...

I do miss veg and zumba classes
Old Feb 18th 2011, 7:35 am
BE Enthusiast

gelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud of

Eating out all the time is unhealthy no matter where you do it. Portion sizes are huge here in Italy just as they are anywhere else (apart from Texas where they are incredibly massive) and chefs in restaurants tend to use tons of oil, cream, butter and salt in order to make the food taste better here just as they pretty much anywhere.

I've always loved to cook and I cook at home here just as I did back in Australia. The fruit and veg is good here just as it is in Australia. There are some fruit and veg which you can't get here in Italy which I miss (passionfruit, mangoes, good avocadoes, jackfruit, sugar bananas, parsnips, sweet potato, desiree potatoes, bok choy, chinese spinach etc.) and some fruit and veg which you can get here which you can't get back in Oz (blood oranges are the main one - I love these).

There are definitely more oppotunities to exercise in Sydney than there are here in Rome. For one thing, there are the beaches where you can surf or swim or run on the sand. Lots of parks where you can run or rollerblade, bike lanes and an oval in almost every suburb. The parks here are smaller and more unkempt and I've never seen an oval or even an area set aside for playing sport in a public park. And the beaches have no waves and they're packed with people frying their skin (now that's unhealthy )
Old Feb 18th 2011, 7:14 pm
Forum Regular

internationalbefky is just really niceinternationalbefky is just really niceinternationalbefky is just really niceinternationalbefky is just really niceinternationalbefky is just really niceinternationalbefky is just really niceinternationalbefky is just really niceinternationalbefky is just really nice

Originally Posted by gelato
Eating out all the time is unhealthy no matter where you do it. Portion sizes are huge here in Italy just as they are anywhere else (apart from Texas where they are incredibly massive) and chefs in restaurants tend to use tons of oil, cream, butter and salt in order to make the food taste better here just as they pretty much anywhere.

I've always loved to cook and I cook at home here just as I did back in Australia. The fruit and veg is good here just as it is in Australia. There are some fruit and veg which you can't get here in Italy which I miss (passionfruit, mangoes, good avocadoes, jackfruit, sugar bananas, parsnips, sweet potato, desiree potatoes, bok choy, chinese spinach etc.) and some fruit and veg which you can get here which you can't get back in Oz (blood oranges are the main one - I love these).

There are definitely more oppotunities to exercise in Sydney than there are here in Rome. For one thing, there are the beaches where you can surf or swim or run on the sand. Lots of parks where you can run or rollerblade, bike lanes and an oval in almost every suburb. The parks here are smaller and more unkempt and I've never seen an oval or even an area set aside for playing sport in a public park. And the beaches have no waves and they're packed with people frying their skin (now that's unhealthy )
May I ask what an oval is? I walked past a "park" in Naples the other weekend, and it just looked like a campsite for homeless people - not exactly inviting!
Latina is pretty good for running - very flat as it used to be a marsh - but sadly I don't have my running shoes with me over here. I'll be climbing the Duomo in Florence tomorrow though, so that should cover my weekly exercise quota!
Old Feb 19th 2011, 4:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

gelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud of

A cricket oval ie a place where you play cricket (or football or even soccer). You don't call them ovals in the UK?
Old Feb 25th 2011, 10:05 am
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

That's funny! One of the most famous cricket grounds is called The Oval! Obviously not a cricket fan!

Here, if there is room, there is always a five-a-side pitch in the square next to the kids playground. Where I was had a volley ball pitch too, where I am now has a fountain, indoor carousel (you pay to go on it) large playground for all ages and a five-a-side pitch. This is normal in Florence and in the centre too. The only squares I can think of that don't have anything are those that are on the ring road like Piazza Liberta and San Marco which is basically for buses. Bigger parks outside the centre have spaces for parties, trampolines, roller rinks etc. Every condominiale in Isolotto has a playground and normally an asilo. Plus there are hundreds of ludoteca all over the city and it's suburbs, some are even in historic buildings. The Palazzo Vecchio (the town hall) also promotes itself as the Museo di Raggazzi and you can have historically themed birthday parties there where the kids are taken around the secret passages or have a talk from Eleonora of Toledo before being allowed to rummage through her dresses.
Old Feb 25th 2011, 10:15 am
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute

We regularly visit Italy (Rome area) and I always feel fitter and healthier when I'm over there. The food is fanatstic, and I find the lifetsyle more relaxed than the UK. I think a lot of it is about state of mind, being in Rome makes me feel happy and content and despite my Italian being rubbish I always feel 'at home'. I think a lot of common health issues like high BP and general well being are related to how happy/content you are.

For me Italy = happy = healthy, although I admit I may feel very different if I lived there!
Old Feb 26th 2011, 7:24 am
Forum Regular

I'm starting to wonder if I'm a little deficient in vitamins now - my skin has gone really dry and scaly and I have a cold this weekend - and I've only recently got rid of the nasty cough I had when I came back. I don't think I've eaten any veg apart from broccoli since Christmas when I was in the UK. THe exciting news is that I'm making a curry tomorrow which will have lots of garlic, ginger, spices and tomatoes so that will give me a boost! Eeeep I can't wait!
Old Feb 26th 2011, 8:48 am
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by internationalbefky
I'm starting to wonder if I'm a little deficient in vitamins now - my skin has gone really dry and scaly and I have a cold this weekend - and I've only recently got rid of the nasty cough I had when I came back. I don't think I've eaten any veg apart from broccoli since Christmas when I was in the UK. THe exciting news is that I'm making a curry tomorrow which will have lots of garlic, ginger, spices and tomatoes so that will give me a boost! Eeeep I can't wait!
I eat lots of veg here! The veg is generally better here than in the UK. I buy a lot in the market. It could be having an effect on your skin or it might be just the changing of the seasons. I really find here that as the weather changes my skin suffers and then I do too....
Old Feb 26th 2011, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by indiebird
I eat lots of veg here! The veg is generally better here than in the UK. I buy a lot in the market. It could be having an effect on your skin or it might be just the changing of the seasons. I really find here that as the weather changes my skin suffers and then I do too....
Well done on eating lots of veg - I miss it so much! Going to go to the market now and grab some bits and bobs. I must take action against this - my skin looks like I could make a nice handbag, and I really do think it's due to lack of vitamins, which I find a little worrying :S
Actually, as I don't have time during the week to prepare real food, does anyone know how expensive multivitamins are over here? I might have to resort to pills if I continue only having access to carbohydrates and sugars...
Old Feb 26th 2011, 10:30 am
Forum Regular

giodafa will become famous soon enoughgiodafa will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by internationalbefky
Well done on eating lots of veg - I miss it so much! Going to go to the market now and grab some bits and bobs. I must take action against this - my skin looks like I could make a nice handbag, and I really do think it's due to lack of vitamins, which I find a little worrying :S
Actually, as I don't have time during the week to prepare real food, does anyone know how expensive multivitamins are over here? I might have to resort to pills if I continue only having access to carbohydrates and sugars...
Vitamins are very expensive here, all that you need is a cheap orange squeezer and and loads of oranges, and knock off the Nutella

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.