Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Italian Social Security Payments from the 1980s

Italian Social Security Payments from the 1980s

Old Jul 6th 2017, 4:51 pm
Just Joined

Jonathan999 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Italian Social Security Payments from the 1980s

I taught at the Universities of Salerno and Rome from 1985-1990 as a language teacher. Since then I've been in Spain. I'd like to find out whether I have any pension rights dating back to that time, and if so and how to claim them. I realize that this could be the start of a lengthy admin nightmare, but any advice from expats in Italy about how to start the process would be very much appreciated. Many thanks -- Jonathan
Old Jul 6th 2017, 7:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Italian Social Security Payments from the 1980s

Originally Posted by Jonathan999
I taught at the Universities of Salerno and Rome from 1985-1990 as a language teacher. Since then I've been in Spain. I'd like to find out whether I have any pension rights dating back to that time, and if so and how to claim them. I realize that this could be the start of a lengthy admin nightmare, but any advice from expats in Italy about how to start the process would be very much appreciated. Many thanks -- Jonathan
Monti changed the pension system so that pensions are based on contributions. 5 years is not going to get very much. You might try creating an account on the inps web site and see if they have a record of your contributions.
Old Jul 6th 2017, 8:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

Not too sure if the UK has a later or earlier pension age these days, but either way, if you are from the UK, then they can make a claim on your behalf. Better still if you have UK (and Spanish contributions) these can be used to satisfy any mimimum contribution rules. If not from the UK, then the Spanish authorities should do the same job. Have a look at this where it states you only need to claim in the country you are living (if EU) and it covers all EU countries. Best write a letter if you are past any state pension age quoting where you have worked, specify it being a claim for your pension, all of them have to accept such as an official claim.
Old Jul 7th 2017, 7:14 am
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

Don't worry too much. DWP in Newcastle are very helpful. Give them a ring with your National Insurance number to hand. All your contributions in all EU countries can be put together to calculate your pension rights.
In my own case, I get part of my pension from INPS, and a lesser part from DWP, paid separately to make up a total of my pension. I d paid into UK starting at an early age, and then in later life again for a short period in the 80's. The UK started paying me from day one. The Italian end took 3 years to sort out (and they had the cheek to blame the UK!) bu in the end they came through and paid backdated pensions.
Good luck, 'o nonno
Old Jul 7th 2017, 7:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Sancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to all

Where I live, the people to see for that sort of thing would be the CGIL, who have access to all the relevant records and can find out quickly and easily. If you aren't in Italy now, perhaps you could contact the CGIL office in Salerno, Rome, or wherever you used to live. I don't know if they have offices abroad, but it's possible.
Old Jul 7th 2017, 11:17 am
Just Joined

Jonathan999 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you to everyone who took the time to reply -- several useful approaches there. Best to all, and enjoy Italy!
Old Jul 11th 2017, 1:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

jonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Sancho
Where I live, the people to see for that sort of thing would be the CGIL, who have access to all the relevant records and can find out quickly and easily. If you aren't in Italy now, perhaps you could contact the CGIL office in Salerno, Rome, or wherever you used to live. I don't know if they have offices abroad, but it's possible.
Yes, I went through the CGIL too, or rather through INCA, which is their organisation for this kind of thing. It's a "patronato" based on (partly) voluntary workers - actually the government has been cutting funds lately - and they seem to know what they're up to.
The CGIL is not the only organisation for this kind of thing, there are also ACLI, CISL and others, but I'm told the CGIL is the best.