Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Italian Citizenship with marriage

Italian Citizenship with marriage

Old Jul 28th 2012, 8:56 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Italian Citizenship with marriage

Originally Posted by HADENOUGHPIZZA
I stand corrected , I believe you and Lorna !not that I want an Italian passport anyway
No! Really? I suspect that the OP is non-eu in which case it would make life easier.
Old Jul 28th 2012, 9:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute

My eldest daughter was born in UK and we were advised to get her both UK passport + Italian Id but that at 18 she might have to choose .
I was told similar nonsense when I underwent medical examination for military service in Italy.

When I got my present job ( 2 years ago ) just after I was married I was advised not to apply for IT citizenship because it would mean giving up my Uk passport . I accept that things may well have changed since for the UK + IT .
The UK used to have restrictions on double nationality, but they were removed on 1 January 1949, when the British Nationality Act 1948 came into force. See

http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/sit...ty?view=Binary
Old Jul 29th 2012, 7:12 am
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Sorry - but that's total shite what you just said. We do not have to give up anything. Not 100% sure of each and every EU country, but us Brits do not give up or renounce anything. We can have dual citizenship and both passports.
Lorna is quite right of course. British citizenship is 'unrenouncable'. No. 1 son was born in UK; came back to Italy at a few weeks old. Birth registered both in UK and at then active consulate in Naples. At 18 asked to choose by comune where we lived, if he didn't want to do Italian national service. He chose Italian because the earthquake happened, and his call up year were excused National Service. He was given an Italian passport. although also holding a UK one. He then moved to Ireland where he has been for several years, and after 5 years residence was granted Irish citizenship. So now he has an Irish passport too. His kids, all born out of wedlock, (our grandchildren), are all Irish. In the meantime every time there is an election, our local comune send him his voting papers, and continually ask for his codice fiscale. We told them donkey's years ago that he wasn't here.
The situation with sons 2 and 3 is even more hilarious.
No. 2 son chose British at 18, thus avoiding national service. At 30 he got married. At 32 had a baby girl (well his wife did). When the baby was about 6 months old the carabinieri came round and tried to arrest him as an AWOL deserter (retinente alla leva). That took several visits to the distretto militare and expensive books on citizenship laws to sort out I can tell you.
No 3. son didn't make a choice. He's not the sort that lets things like that concern him. He got his call up papers; went to do the medicals etc. for three days; and was rejected as being psychologically unsuitable. Went to live with my brother in the Lake District, and his bother in Ireland for a while, and with his consular birth certificate, got himself a British passport. When he returned to Italy, living with us; bear in mind born, bred, schooled in Italy; he was told to apply for and produce a permesso di soggiorno. Like myself he has had to do that ever since; until the law changed in 2007 or whenever it was. Talk about left hand and right hand not knowing what they are doing. I believe I may well have had the right to apply for Italian citizenship years ago; but who'd want it?
buona domenica,
'o nonno
Old Jul 29th 2012, 7:17 am
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

My eldest daughter was born in UK and we were advised to get her both UK passport + Italian Id but that at 18 she might have to choose . When I got my present job ( 2 years ago ) just after I was married I was advised not to apply for IT citizenship because it would mean giving up my Uk passport . I accept that things may well have changed since for the UK + IT .
Who advised you? Some idiot on this forum?
Old Jul 29th 2012, 9:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute

blimey - its a bit worrying how much wrong information we can be fed in this country isnt it?
its a good job that we can come on here and theres usually someone who can put us right - thank god for the forum

My kids (1st born in UK, the other 2 here in Italy) all have dual nationality and I have never been told that they cant . I'm the only one in the family who doesn't have italian citizenship - I'm not bothered though. I'm allowed to vote in my village elections for mayor etc and thats fine by me.
Old Jul 29th 2012, 9:35 am
BE Forum Addict

HADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond repute

I explained all this to OH , and now he's annoyed I'm not off monday morning to apply ! I wish I hadn't logged on last night !
Old Jul 29th 2012, 11:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ononno
No 3. son didn't make a choice. He's not the sort that lets things like that concern him. He got his call up papers; went to do the medicals etc. for three days; and was rejected as being psychologically unsuitable. Went to live with my brother in the Lake District, and his bother in Ireland for a while, and with his consular birth certificate, got himself a British passport. When he returned to Italy, living with us; bear in mind born, bred, schooled in Italy; he was told to apply for and produce a permesso di soggiorno. Like myself he has had to do that ever since; until the law changed in 2007 or whenever it was.
Surely he could just have got an Italian passport once he was in Italy, or even earlier? I managed to get one in London several years ago, despite not being registered with AIRE (although it did take 3 months). Or did the Italian authorities claim that somehow he had lost his Italian citizenship?
Old Jul 29th 2012, 1:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

I explained all this to OH , and now he's annoyed I'm not off monday morning to apply ! I wish I hadn't logged on last night !
It might actually not be a bad idea, in case either Italy or the UK ends up leaving the EU. Neither possibility seems as far fetched as it did a few years ago.
Old Jul 29th 2012, 2:39 pm
Member Of The Family

Engliano is just really niceEngliano is just really niceEngliano is just really niceEngliano is just really niceEngliano is just really niceEngliano is just really niceEngliano is just really niceEngliano is just really niceEngliano is just really nice

In reply to the OP's topic and trying to get the thread back on track.....

I think its a bit daft comining onto a BRITISH expats forum and asking how to get an Italian passport !?

For one, 99.9 % of us here are british and have at least a UK passport which entitles us to just about move anywhere in the EU we want, plus other benefits, Benefits Italians just dont have or get. So who on here would rather have Italian citizenship than British may i ask ?

Secondly, to the OP, i think your question would be best posted in an Asian forum that spezialize in how to quickly sneak people in through the back door. Theres plenty of them too, seen as half of india, pakistan,africa and china are killing each other to get ANY kind of EU passport/citizenship. They will for sure know all the legal loopholes we dont. Just ask the UK Borderforce !
Old Jul 29th 2012, 4:13 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Engliano
In reply to the OP's topic and trying to get the thread back on track.....

I think its a bit daft comining onto a BRITISH expats forum and asking how to get an Italian passport !?

For one, 99.9 % of us here are british and have at least a UK passport which entitles us to just about move anywhere in the EU we want, plus other benefits, Benefits Italians just dont have or get. So who on here would rather have Italian citizenship than British may i ask ?

Secondly, to the OP, i think your question would be best posted in an Asian forum that spezialize in how to quickly sneak people in through the back door. Theres plenty of them too, seen as half of india, pakistan,africa and china are killing each other to get ANY kind of EU passport/citizenship. They will for sure know all the legal loopholes we dont. Just ask the UK Borderforce !
You needed to read it again Engliano. The OP was asking about getting Italian citizenship through marriage and if any of us have gone down that route.
Old Jul 29th 2012, 5:31 pm
Member Of The Family

Engliano is just really niceEngliano is just really niceEngliano is just really niceEngliano is just really niceEngliano is just really niceEngliano is just really niceEngliano is just really niceEngliano is just really niceEngliano is just really nice

You needed to read it again Engliano. The OP was asking about getting Italian citizenship through marriage and if any of us have gone down that route.
No Lorna ive read the full thread, and it sounds to me as though a non eu citizen is attempting to gain an Italian Passport/citizenship (citizenship in my book at least entitles one to the passport of said country). And asking questions about said topic to British people who have british citizenship and british passports, how to gain an Italian one. Doesnt that seem rather odd ? Or should i advise the thousands at Calias queing to get to britain on how to obtain british citizenship ? just because i'm british. Its like going to Gucci and asking about Prada !

What the OP needs to understand is this, Just because we are living in Italy or even married to Italians we dont give up or NEED to give up our Passports or our citizenship to remain in Italy. We are here as citizens of the EU. People such as non EU citizens indians Pakistani Africans and who ever else for example, may very well have to do so, but asking british people who have the right to be here on EU ground rules on a forum of BRITISH people living in Italy is in my opinion outright daft.
Old Jul 29th 2012, 5:43 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Engliano
No Lorna ive read the full thread, and it sounds to me as though a non eu citizen is attempting to gain an Italian Passport/citizenship (citizenship in my book at least entitles one to the passport of said country). And asking questions about said topic to British people who have british citizenship and british passports, how to gain an Italian one. Doesnt that seem rather odd ? Or should i advise the thousands at Calias queing to get to britain on how to obtain british citizenship ? just because i'm british. Its like going to Gucci and asking about Prada !

What the OP needs to understand is this, Just because we are living in Italy or even married to Italians we dont give up or NEED to give up our Passports or our citizenship to remain in Italy. We are here as citizens of the EU. People such as non EU citizens indians Pakistani Africans and who ever else for example, may very well have to do so, but asking british people who have the right to be here on EU ground rules on a forum of BRITISH people living in Italy is in my opinion outright daft.
I didn't read it as being a sneaky way to get an EU passport.
The OP has been married to an Italian for 5 years. You don't need to be married that long before being eligble to apply, so if she was trying to be sneaky she could have applied years ago.

There probably isn't much point in asking any old Italian how to get citizenship as they probably don't know, they already have it. She found us and asked us. Whether any of us need or want Italian citizenship or a passport is another thing and whether any of us can help is yet another. None of us have personally gone down that route but I know of other British people who have indeed applied for and obtained Italian citizenship.

She asked if it takes a long time, and we can reply to that - because it will.
To get the proper info that she needs, she should go to the prefettura and that's the first thing I said.
Old Jul 29th 2012, 5:58 pm
Member Of The Family

To get the proper info that she needs, she should go to the prefettura and that's the first thing I said.
Glad we agree.
Old Jul 30th 2012, 9:30 am
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Marocco
Surely he could just have got an Italian passport once he was in Italy, or even earlier? I managed to get one in London several years ago, despite not being registered with AIRE (although it did take 3 months). Or did the Italian authorities claim that somehow he had lost his Italian citizenship?
Since my last post as above, have seen no. 2 son and got him to remind me of the circumstances. (Memory post TIA isn't what it used to be). In his case it was a cock up by the comune where we lived at the time. They messed up the documentation, and he was 'Italian' without realising it until said National Service surprise. He did in fact have to do 1 days medical tests, and then received a congedo; on the strength of which he then claimed his Italian citizenship. No. 3 son received the same cock-ups in reverse; they cancelled his Italian citizenship. He was so pissed off he decided he wasn't going to bother anyway, and remain simply British. He quoted 'residenza elettiva' and 'coesione familiare' on his PdSs. Just as a point of interest, I had to have a PdS up 22/05/2006; on which date it was issued with the above qualifications
'a tempo indeterminato'.
The comune in question has also been sued by a couple, with a child, who discovered after 10 years that their marriage had not been registered. Whilst typing out all this, no 3 son has just popped by, and confirms he does not have, nor wishes to have, Italian citizenship.
ciao for now,
'o nonno
Old Jul 30th 2012, 10:10 am

Is your wife Italian O'Nonno?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.