Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Italian Citizenship

Italian Citizenship

Old Nov 18th 2017, 1:15 pm
Forum Regular

giuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nice
Default Re: Italian Citizenship

A LOAD OF MONEY AND MESSING TO BECOME ITALIAN!!!NO GRAZIE!
Old Nov 18th 2017, 4:28 pm
Forum Regular

Ruby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Padova
We have been in the process of applying for It. citizenship for c. 18 months now, only to have seemingly fallen at the last hurdle.
Italians can't seem to understand that most women in England, when married, take their husband's surname.
They won't accept our ORIGINAL marriage certificate, but are insisting on an "apostilled"/certified copy from England. For reasons unknown to us, this is now proving a problem in England, (unlike our other documents : birth certificates, police checks, etc., which were done and sorted without problems).
Hey ho; back to the drawing board!
We didn’t have any difficulty getting our marriage certificate 'apostilled' and then translated and sworn at the tribunale 5 years ago. The British Embassy produce an information note about the British custom of changing surname on marriage that might be helpful - in English and Italian. You'll find them here:
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/notarial...uide-for-italy
Old Nov 18th 2017, 6:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by giuliana
A LOAD OF MONEY AND MESSING TO BECOME ITALIAN!!!NO GRAZIE!
Once you have made your application you can obtain a tessera sanitaria so you don't need any health insurance again unless it is rejected. The application pays for itself. As a non EU citizen you have to wait 10years even before you can make an application.

Last edited by philat98; Nov 18th 2017 at 6:36 pm.
Old Nov 18th 2017, 7:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

GeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud of

The apostile/legalisation is a way of Italy knowing your marriage certificate is genuine and actually issued by the UK state. How else can they be sure a foreign document is genuine? It's hard enough passing a Scottish banknote in the UK!

The legalisation is easy to obtain. Go to gov.uk, follow the procedure on there, sent off your certificate after paying the fee and you should have it back within about a fortnight.
Old Nov 19th 2017, 6:09 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Giuliana for your considered opinion!
Old Nov 19th 2017, 8:11 am
Forum Regular

Donna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond repute

We have been in the process of applying for It. citizenship for c. 18 months now, only to have seemingly fallen at the last hurdle.
Italians can't seem to understand that most women in England, when married, take their husband's surname.
They won't accept our ORIGINAL marriage certificate, but are insisting on an "apostilled"/certified copy from England. For reasons unknown to us, this is now proving a problem in England, (unlike our other documents : birth certificates, police checks, etc., which were done and sorted without problems).
The name isn't the issue at all. Believe it or not Italians are able to grasp the concept of taking the husband's name. I think it's quite patronising of you to say otherwise! It's standard that they would need your marriage certificate legalised. They just want to check the authenticity of THAT document. Why shouldn't they? You say it's causing a problem in "England" too, so, why would you think that if it's a problem for England, then the Italians should accept it anyway?

All documents you provided to any Italian authority for whatever reason whether birth, marriage, police, degree certifcate will have to be legalised. It is quite clear in the citizenship application that all documents must be legalised in the UK, translated and legalised in Italy.

I highly recommend reading and following the instructions in the first place. You are asking for Citizenship of another country, the least you could do is provide the documents they ask for ...

By the way, once your citizenship application is accepted, they will keep the copy of your marriage certificate in their archives, so you'd be better off getting a copy of it done rather than use the original.
Old Nov 19th 2017, 8:15 am
Forum Regular

giuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nice

Originally Posted by modicasa
Thanks Giuliana for your considered opinion!
Prego!!!
Old Nov 19th 2017, 4:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

I have to say Donna that I have encountered this problem in all public offices in th south of Italy, and at some notaios. They just do not know that women can change their name on marriage. they assume they are brother and sister. The problems get worse if your passport is in your married name and your other documents in your maiden name.
Old Nov 19th 2017, 5:06 pm
Forum Regular

Donna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by modicasa
I have to say Donna that I have encountered this problem in all public offices in th south of Italy, and at some notaios. They just do not know that women can change their name on marriage. they assume they are brother and sister. The problems get worse if your passport is in your married name and your other documents in your maiden name.
I live in the Veneto and have never encountered that issue. Getting reprimanded for using farfalle rather than penne for ragù, yes. Taking your hubbies name, no. In fact, in our school whatsapp group some mums put their surname to be the same as their kid's for easy identity.
Old Nov 19th 2017, 9:38 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

These are separate issues. Getting an apostille for your marriage certificate is a standardised and straightforward process.

https://www.gov.uk/get-document-legalised
Old Nov 20th 2017, 8:45 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by philat98
Once you have made your application you can obtain a tessera sanitaria so you don't need any health insurance again unless it is rejected. The application pays for itself. As a non EU citizen you have to wait 10years even before you can make an application.
EU citizens don't necessarily need to become Italian just to get a tessera sanitaria though.
Old Nov 20th 2017, 9:12 am
BE Enthusiast

GeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud of

A couple of our Italian friends took one look at the fact my wife & I share a surname and immediately assumed that our destiny had been written in the stars!

I was actually really surprised that women don't take their husband's name in Italy, given how patriarchal a society it is in other ways.
Old Nov 20th 2017, 2:56 pm
Forum Regular

britaly00 is a jewel in the roughbritaly00 is a jewel in the roughbritaly00 is a jewel in the roughbritaly00 is a jewel in the rough

I submitted my citizenship app a few days ago, not thru marriage though, but thru residency period. One of the sections (of more than 20, of which I had to complete maybe half) asks for a self-declaration from one of 3 sources, CUD (not yet changed to 'Unico'), Unica (from doing a tax rtn) and another one I can't recall. Anyway, at this stage I was required to enter solely the amount. I imagine a scan of these is unnecessary as they can check directly with entrate or whoever.
UK birth cert and police cert, both legalised, were translated and sworn here, then scanned and uploaded.
Old Nov 20th 2017, 3:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by philat98
I have got it and I am NOT Italian!
Old Nov 21st 2017, 6:28 am
BE Enthusiast

nicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond repute

About €580 spent so far (€216 for application and €340 for 3 pages of legalized translations, including price of obtaining originals from UK). Very little messing though as all done rapidly on the internet including finding a translator - I just had to collect the work from her office). Definitely worth it from my point of view as I want to be able to go back and forth between different EU countries after Brexit, perhaps even return and live in France. I am also worried that Brexit will have tax implications for people with property in Europe. At the moment you can sell a property in one EU country without paying any capital gains tax if you move to another European country (for 5 years)

Last edited by nicktonight; Nov 21st 2017 at 6:33 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.