Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Italian Citizenship

Italian Citizenship

Old Oct 19th 2017, 9:09 am
Giorgio Miles

Cliftonensis is on a distinguished road
Default Italian Citizenship

I have been looking to obtain citizenship here as I have been resident for about 9 years.
The problem I have is that because I have no income here I only pay tax in the U.K. The online application requires details of three years tax returns in Italy. I am getting different advice from three different professionals. Has anyone had this issue?
Old Oct 19th 2017, 12:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Italian Citizenship

The Prefetura told me that you have to show 3 CUDs (income after tax) above the required limits. They told me that income from the UK does not count.
The Prefetura attached my partners CUDs to the application but said the application might be rejected.
If you have been living in Italy for 9 years and resident 183 days each year you should be paying tax in Italy. May be best make sure your tax situation is correct before having too much contact with the authorities.

Last edited by philat98; Oct 19th 2017 at 1:23 pm.
Old Oct 26th 2017, 8:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Pecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by philat98
The Prefetura told me that you have to show 3 CUDs (income after tax) above the required limits. They told me that income from the UK does not count.
The Prefetura attached my partners CUDs to the application but said the application might be rejected.
If you have been living in Italy for 9 years and resident 183 days each year you should be paying tax in Italy. May be best make sure your tax situation is correct before having too much contact with the authorities.
Hmm, they didn't ask for any CUDS on line,

I have just received and E mail from them telling me my appointment is in 10 days. They added I need apostille stamp and my police record.

They have my police disclosure, I am now trying to find out if the British Consulate can stamp them

Uffa
Old Oct 26th 2017, 9:55 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

Im self employed so dont have a CUD, but had to give them my tax returns. Presumablyy even if you are paid in the UK you have been doing your tax returns here as you are resident. They should suffice I would have thought.
Old Oct 26th 2017, 9:57 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

Your police disclosure needs to be legalised in the UK and then it adn the apostille need to have a traduzione giurata here.
Old Oct 26th 2017, 10:53 am
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

I had 5 visits to the Prefetura before the form was ready for submission. I expect every office does something different. I don't understand why they told me that income from the UK is not considered positively when say a UK pension is more secure than evidence of historical income from an Italian job.
Its 2 or 3 years before you find the outcome. Tocca ferro.

Last edited by philat98; Oct 26th 2017 at 11:02 am.
Old Oct 26th 2017, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

Donna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond repute

I think the CUD is like a P60, a summary of your earnings from an employer, so you could potentially have more than one "CUD" - although I believe they're not called CUDs anymore but UNICOs. If you have only one employer and no "other" income then the CUD/UNICO should be sufficient.

If you do have "other" income to declare, UK rental or pension or earnings, or Italian "ritenuta d'acconto" for example, or if you want to claim a rebate on mortgage interest, subsidies on home improvements etc etc, then you must do an annual tax return. Unfortunately this probably won't be "self assessment" (although I think the Italians are trying to move on this but it seems too complicated for most at the present time).

So, what the citizenship application wants is 3 years of proof that you have been paying your taxes in Italy. So, this might be proven by 3 CUDs/UNICOs or by full "Dichiarazione dei Redditi" (Income Declaration more commonly known as a Tax Return), depending on your own financial position.

Basically, all the Italian authorities want to know is that you've been paying your dues while resident, or at least for the last three years. Which seems fair enough to me.
Old Oct 27th 2017, 5:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Just to complicate things the CUD is now called the Unica, and the tax return the Unico!
Old Oct 27th 2017, 6:40 am
BE Forum Addict

This little article explains the financial requirement for citizenship.
Cittadinanza italiana. Che reddito serve e come si calcola? - Il portale dell'immigrazione e degli immigrati in Italia - Stranieri in Italia
Old Oct 27th 2017, 11:52 am
BE Enthusiast

GeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud of

Unico has been replaced, as far as I'm aware, with Redditi. At least that was the name on the top of my tax return this year.

So difficult to keep my with the latest terminology in the modern world!
Old Oct 27th 2017, 5:24 pm
Forum Regular

Donna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeorgeYoung
Unico has been replaced, as far as I'm aware, with Redditi. At least that was the name on the top of my tax return this year.

So difficult to keep my with the latest terminology in the modern world!
There's only one thing for it
Old Oct 28th 2017, 7:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Its the modello Unico for the Dichiarazione dei Redditi, so Donna has the right idea
Old Oct 29th 2017, 8:04 am
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Donna Noble
There's only one thing for it
Couldn't (hic) agree more.
Old Nov 18th 2017, 11:43 am
Just Joined

Padova is an unknown quantity at this point

We have been in the process of applying for It. citizenship for c. 18 months now, only to have seemingly fallen at the last hurdle.
Italians can't seem to understand that most women in England, when married, take their husband's surname.
They won't accept our ORIGINAL marriage certificate, but are insisting on an "apostilled"/certified copy from England. For reasons unknown to us, this is now proving a problem in England, (unlike our other documents : birth certificates, police checks, etc., which were done and sorted without problems).
Hey ho; back to the drawing board!
Old Nov 18th 2017, 12:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

All certificates must be apostilled to prove their legality, and then translated and sworn at the tribunale.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.