Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Italian citizen moving back

Italian citizen moving back

Old Jan 15th 2017, 8:41 am
Forum Regular

sruggieri is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Italian citizen moving back

Hi everyone am an Italian citizen but lived and worked most of my life in the UK , me and my family are due to relocate to Italy in the next couple of months I have a English wife and two children under 4 my question is will i be able to access the Italian health care system being a italian citizen or will I need to go private, we are going to rent for about a year and my wife will eventually start work as a English teacher but not for a while , we do have enough capital to live on for over a year and enough to buy our own place , I'll be looking after the kids while my wife goes to work , I would appreciate any advice ☺
Old Jan 15th 2017, 9:19 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Italian citizen moving back

Originally Posted by sruggieri
Hi everyone am an Italian citizen but lived and worked most of my life in the UK , me and my family are due to relocate to Italy in the next couple of months I have a English wife and two children under 4 my question is will i be able to access the Italian health care system being a italian citizen or will I need to go private, we are going to rent for about a year and my wife will eventually start work as a English teacher but not for a while , we do have enough capital to live on for over a year and enough to buy our own place , I'll be looking after the kids while my wife goes to work , I would appreciate any advice ☺
You're Italian and presumably you have a passport or Carta D'Identit� . You automatically have rights to health care here and so do your children, but I think you'll have to register their birth first. I also think your wife can access the health system but look into that or wait for someone else to reply.

Read here about registering your children as Italian citizens:

Nascita
Old Jan 15th 2017, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

Thanks lorna I'll certainly look into it with regards to registration of the kiddies � ����
Old Jan 15th 2017, 10:35 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Also think about becoming a British citizen if you haven't done so already. With Brexit looming it's probably not desirable not to hold the same citizenship as your children.
Old Jan 15th 2017, 11:44 am
Forum Regular

I've not even thought about brexit and what it will mean , thanks for that friend, i'll certainly give it some consideration � ����� ����
Old Jan 15th 2017, 10:31 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks lorna I'll certainly look into it with regards to registration of the kiddies � ����
You're welcome. That's what we are all here for, to give advice and help when possible. And maybe a few laughs too. You will need those laughs if you come to live here. E' dura la vita qua.
Old Jan 16th 2017, 8:17 am
BE Enthusiast

GeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud of

I'm a UK citizen living in Italy and when we first moved here, my wife wasn't working but I was able to register her as a resident in the UK and, with her also being British and thus at the time in the EU, I would have been able to register her residency as well as my "dependant". In the end, we did it slightly differently for complex reasons but that was certainly an option for us non-Italian citizens, so I don't see why you couldn't do the same for your wife.
Old Jan 16th 2017, 8:33 am
BE Enthusiast

clint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really nice

When I moved back to Italy after 26 years in England all I had to provide as an Italian national was my ID document, for my husband (British) the marriage certificate (the lady at the anagrafe office accepted a verbal translation but you will be better off getting it translated and apostilled in UK) and passport. As soon as we got our residency we were able to sign up with the Italian national health system. Was your marriage "transcritto" in Italy via Italian consulate in UK? if not you should do so as otherwise you are still showing up at your comune of origin officially as single.
Old Jan 16th 2017, 8:48 am
Forum Regular

Thanks everyone for all your replys , there's lots to think about and lots to do � ����� ����