Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Italian citizen married in UK. How do I register marriage now I live in Italy?

Italian citizen married in UK. How do I register marriage now I live in Italy?

Old Feb 24th 2018, 9:16 am
Just Joined

tanc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Italian citizen married in UK. How do I register marriage now I live in Italy?

I'm a dual UK/Italian citizen, married to a dual UK/Australian citizen. We now live in Italy and are registered residents here. I'd like to have our marriage, which happened in UK, registered in Italy. Can anyone give me any guidance how to do this?
Old Feb 25th 2018, 6:20 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Italian citizen married in UK. How do I register marriage now I live in Italy?

Copia dell’atto di matrimonio redatto dall’autorit� straniera, debitamente legalizzato e tradotto, è rimessa a cura degli interessati (gli sposi) all’autorit� diplomatica o consolare italiana che la trasmetter� all’ufficiale di stato civile competente perché sia trascritto in Italia. Dal momento che l’atto è immediatamente valido, la trascrizione dello stesso nei registri dello stato civile non avr� efficacia costitutiva (ovvero non è necessaria perché il matrimonio sia considerato valido), ma ha solo natura meramente certificativa e di pubblicit� .
Per procedere alla legalizzazione dell’atto di matrimonio il richiedente deve presentarsi, previo appuntamento, presso l’Ufficio consolare munito dell’atto (in originale) da legalizzare. Al fine di ottenere il certificato di conformit� della traduzione, il richiedente deve presentarsi, sempre previo appuntamento, presso l’Ufficio consolare munito del documento originale in lingua straniera e della traduzione.

You should have registered your marriage witih the Consulate in the UK when you got married. If you did that then its already registered in Italy. If not, then I would ask your local Ufficio Anagrafe.
Old Feb 25th 2018, 6:59 am
Just Joined

Default Re: Italian citizen married in UK. How do I register marriage now I live in Italy?

Thank you for your reply modicasa. I didn't register our marriage with the consulate as I was not registered AIRE at that point (long story but somehow I was not registered as living overseas). I asked at my local anagrafe and they said I had to register it in Rome where my birth was registered.

If I have to go to Rome to do this then I'd like to have all of the information I need ready so I don't have to return. Even the process of getting the document translated and legalised is not clear to me. Do I also need to book an appointment, if so with which department?
Old Feb 25th 2018, 9:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

If you have not already looked at it, this UK Gov link might get you started, but I'm sure Modicasa give a better link for this just recently.
Old Feb 26th 2018, 9:04 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

Your first step would be to send your marrage certificate to Milton Keynes to be legalised - and they would affix an apostille. Then it needs to be translated (including the apostille) into Italian and sworn. In the UK you could try the Italian notary in London who could do it for a price. In Italy youwould need a translator who swears it at the tribunale. But these things have a 6 month lifespan usually, so you would need to book your appointment at the consulate, which seems to be very difficult, and then tie it all in according to your timescale.
Old Feb 26th 2018, 9:36 am
Just Joined

Thank you modicasa, that is a really good reply and gives me a good starting point to figure this out.
Old Feb 26th 2018, 9:41 am
Just Joined

Oh I should just re-iterate that we live in Italy and the Italian consulate in Britain have never had me registered as AIRE so I can't do much through them. I am now domiciled in Italy. So the key bit I'm missing (or misunderstanding) is where and how I register the marriage in Italy. Do I need to go to Roma where my birth was registered as my local anagrafe says? If so, which department handles this stuff? Or should my current commune handle it?
Old Feb 26th 2018, 1:25 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tanc
Oh I should just re-iterate that we live in Italy and the Italian consulate in Britain have never had me registered as AIRE so I can't do much through them. I am now domiciled in Italy. So the key bit I'm missing (or misunderstanding) is where and how I register the marriage in Italy. Do I need to go to Roma where my birth was registered as my local anagrafe says? If so, which department handles this stuff? Or should my current commune handle it?
If, by 'domiciled' you mean that you are a registered resident, you marriage needs to be registered with your comune of residency. If you are resident outside Italy, your marriage needs to be registered were you were born or at a consulate if you are registered with the AIRE.
Old Feb 26th 2018, 3:00 pm
Just Joined

Correct, I am a registered resident in Italy. The marriage occurred whilst living in the UK before coming to live in Italy. I will take it up again with the local anagrafe and see if they will accept registration of the marriage. Previously they have said the marriage must be registered where my birth was registered, in Roma.