Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Idiot proof route to drive from UK to Italy

Idiot proof route to drive from UK to Italy

Old Feb 13th 2010, 10:50 am
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of
Default Re: Idiot proof route to drive from UK to Italy

Originally Posted by 37100
Or for big kids who couldn't resist a go on those roller slides. Ouch!
Old Feb 13th 2010, 11:35 am
BE Enthusiast

davehornet6 has a brilliant futuredavehornet6 has a brilliant futuredavehornet6 has a brilliant futuredavehornet6 has a brilliant futuredavehornet6 has a brilliant futuredavehornet6 has a brilliant futuredavehornet6 has a brilliant futuredavehornet6 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by indiebird
We prefer this route too if we ever drive. For us, with the kids, there are loads of laybys with little parks/ toilets/ picnic areas set back from the road that are ideal for kid stops!! I think it helps we're coming into Torino though Patty from Frejus.
aire's. we must have stopped in every one of them on way down to
Frejues. cant believe we missed the roller slides though. dammit!
everyone (my 3 mates not me)was asleep as soon as we got off ferry at 4am. so every half hour or so someone would need a wee( oh god just remembered those bloomin toilet holes in the ground,yeuk!) or a drink, or we needed fuel or had a numb bum, or Becks run out of beer!
4 beer swilling bikers, with various traffic related injuries all sat in a not huge car, kids are a doddle
Old Feb 13th 2010, 12:25 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

The best hole in the ground toilet was a modern one near the canal in the midi region of France?? You used the loo, kicked the flush and water not only flushed down the hole but jets hidden in the wall squirted water out to knee level!! I have no clue what the idea behind that was other than giving trousers and legs a soaking!! Luckily I had a skirt and flip flops on!
Old Feb 13th 2010, 1:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TestaRossa
The best hole in the ground toilet was a modern one near the canal in the midi region of France?? You used the loo, kicked the flush and water not only flushed down the hole but jets hidden in the wall squirted water out to knee level!! I have no clue what the idea behind that was other than giving trousers and legs a soaking!! Luckily I had a skirt and flip flops on!
Old Feb 13th 2010, 1:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute

Same as you Testa - I went through Mont Blanc to France and notice this horrendous bridge and then realised it was the way back !! Hubby had already bought the return ticket and so refused to come back via the frejus

My brother and his 3 biker mates came down last summer and they were thinking of doing Mont Blanc - then I sent them some photos of it and they changed their minds and did the frejus
On a sour note though - they went back a different route through St. Etienne and one of them had their brand new Yamaha 1000 stolen during the night. (they were staying at a formula 1 and the electric gate wasnt working ) The thieves were just about to cut the chain and take my brothers bike next but they heard them and luckily gave them chase - they were too late to save one bike - but if they hadnt woken they would have taken all four ! The police were not at all helpful and so it ended their great holiday on a bit of a low I was told after that St Etienne is not a very good area and probably best to avoid it
Old Feb 13th 2010, 2:09 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

It is really difficult to tell what it is though isn't it?? Actually quite ingenious in a way. Glad I couldn't see down the side coming back though! In a car I would've been fine but the bus drivers are a bit more slap happy 'cos they do the route on auto pilot!!

That's really bad about the bike! Don't know St Etienne, other than having by-passed it on the way to Calais. Lyon always looks okay though so like you I'm surprised to hear it is not so good! Know not to stop there now!
Old Feb 13th 2010, 5:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

davehornet6 has a brilliant futuredavehornet6 has a brilliant futuredavehornet6 has a brilliant futuredavehornet6 has a brilliant futuredavehornet6 has a brilliant futuredavehornet6 has a brilliant futuredavehornet6 has a brilliant futuredavehornet6 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Patty
Same as you Testa - I went through Mont Blanc to France and notice this horrendous bridge and then realised it was the way back !! Hubby had already bought the return ticket and so refused to come back via the frejus

My brother and his 3 biker mates came down last summer and they were thinking of doing Mont Blanc - then I sent them some photos of it and they changed their minds and did the frejus
On a sour note though - they went back a different route through St. Etienne and one of them had their brand new Yamaha 1000 stolen during the night. (they were staying at a formula 1 and the electric gate wasnt working ) The thieves were just about to cut the chain and take my brothers bike next but they heard them and luckily gave them chase - they were too late to save one bike - but if they hadnt woken they would have taken all four ! The police were not at all helpful and so it ended their great holiday on a bit of a low I was told after that St Etienne is not a very good area and probably best to avoid it
yikes, thats a nightmare having bike stolen. thanks for the heads up though.
how did they get on in the frejeus on bikes? we were supposed to do it on bikes last year before my accident but went in car instead. inside the tunnel it was 34 degrees C and the fumes were so thick you couldnt see the cars coming towards you until they were 50 ft away. one of the lads opened the window and we choked like hell!!
Old Feb 13th 2010, 6:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TestaRossa
yeeeew! sure it wasnt a shower
i got wet trainers (not legs though)so know what you mean.
maybe people keep missing so need the flush to power wash the whole floor
Old Feb 13th 2010, 6:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by davehornet6
yikes, thats a nightmare having bike stolen. thanks for the heads up though.
how did they get on in the frejeus on bikes? we were supposed to do it on bikes last year before my accident but went in car instead. inside the tunnel it was 34 degrees C and the fumes were so thick you couldnt see the cars coming towards you until they were 50 ft away. one of the lads opened the window and we choked like hell!!
I think they came through sort of early evening - so maybe the temperature wasnt that bad then.
On the way back (after the setback) they decided to do a 'Top Gear' race. The chap whose bike was stolen went on the TGV and the others on their bikes and they kept in touch to see who would arrive in St Malo first - apparently they arrived within about a minute of each other
Old Feb 13th 2010, 9:34 pm
Forum Regular

MattyC is on a distinguished road

right on Davehornet6....I've done all the routes, through Germany, Luxembourg, Frejous and Mont Blank and France (the route you described) is definitely the best. Either of the tunnels are easy enough and the time differencis minimal.

I also reckon that you need to allow about 15 hours to get from Tuscany to Calais with 2 petrol stops, I've gone from Pisa to Norwich in 18 hours without breaking a speed limit.

French Peage are great, local of rest points with bathrooms and loads of petrol stations.
Old Feb 14th 2010, 9:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Patty
I think they came through sort of early evening - so maybe the temperature wasnt that bad then.
On the way back (after the setback) they decided to do a 'Top Gear' race. The chap whose bike was stolen went on the TGV and the others on their bikes and they kept in touch to see who would arrive in St Malo first - apparently they arrived within about a minute of each other
that makes sense. we came through at lunch time so was probably hotter. cant understand how they let the fumes build up so much though, there wasnt even very much traffic. i think it would have seriously killed someone on a bike. cant hold my breath for 10 mins.
we did think maybe the fans werent working or something.
"top gear race" is brill. i hope the bikers made it a fair race by keeping to the speed limits
Old Feb 14th 2010, 9:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MattyC
right on Davehornet6....I've done all the routes, through Germany, Luxembourg, Frejous and Mont Blank and France (the route you described) is definitely the best. Either of the tunnels are easy enough and the time differencis minimal.

I also reckon that you need to allow about 15 hours to get from Tuscany to Calais with 2 petrol stops, I've gone from Pisa to Norwich in 18 hours without breaking a speed limit.

French Peage are great, local of rest points with bathrooms and loads of petrol stations.
that was the first time I have driven myself. i planned the whole trip looking to stop halfway, the F1 at macon seemed a good break before a refreshed drive through the alps.
like you say peage/autoroute is great (although i still think it is a little expensive. that is one thing that italy seems to have got perfect)
might have to try the monte blanc this year just to check it out.
either that or come down through austria and down the STELVIO PASS
trying to avoid switzerland as ill have a car full of alsorts and hate to have some jobsworth rooting through everything. and they will get knocked out if they try and confiscate my "duty free"
Old Feb 15th 2010, 8:16 am
Gio
BE Enthusiast

Location: London. and visiting Italy when the Parmesan runs out!
Gio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud of

Get a Sat Nav...we use a Tom Tom. Suggested route from Tom Tom, but also a recommended route on Michell Maps which is a very good website.
From U.K:
Channel ports, go north into Belgium heading towards Brussels, from there head towards Luxembourg, once in Luxembourg fill up as it's cheapest place to buy fuel in Europe ( hoping you've timed it right for your tank to be empty) head towards Strasbourg . Go past Metz heading towards Stellestat & Mullhouse, cross French Swiss border at Basle, head toward St Gothard come down into Italy to Lugano, chiasso area, and if like us going further south keep on the periferia to the west of Milan following signs for Bologna.
Top Tip: Formule 1 hotels. You can find them on line. They are cheap, basic, generic. We use one just off motorway at Metz & another at Mullhouse close to Basle airport. They are up to €35 for a double room with additional bunk bed.
Top Tip: To use the Swiss roads you will need to purchase a vignette cost €28. Don't buy it from the border guards as they will take €30 from you and give you the change in Swiss Francs, which you'll feel you have to spend so you'll stop and you'll be aghast at the prices. Another good reason for buying the vignette ahead of time at a gas station is that you need not then peel the sticker off and fix it to your wind screen. Just slide it into the edge of the screen where it can be seen. This way the vignette stays recyclable.
Old Mar 8th 2010, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

enterprise1999 is an unknown quantity at this point

Norwich to Genova is the journy I need to take to get the ferry to Palermo..... Unfortunately my Garmin takes me through France.... Fast but the french know how to charge.... with the tunnel through to Italy the tolls and fees were around £120.....
Old Mar 8th 2010, 8:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

PAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Gio
Get a Sat Nav...we use a Tom Tom. Suggested route from Tom Tom, but also a recommended route on Michell Maps which is a very good website.
From U.K:
Channel ports, go north into Belgium heading towards Brussels, from there head towards Luxembourg, once in Luxembourg fill up as it's cheapest place to buy fuel in Europe ( hoping you've timed it right for your tank to be empty) head towards Strasbourg . Go past Metz heading towards Stellestat & Mullhouse, cross French Swiss border at Basle, head toward St Gothard come down into Italy to Lugano, chiasso area, and if like us going further south keep on the periferia to the west of Milan following signs for Bologna.
Top Tip: Formule 1 hotels. You can find them on line. They are cheap, basic, generic. We use one just off motorway at Metz & another at Mullhouse close to Basle airport. They are up to €35 for a double room with additional bunk bed.
Top Tip: To use the Swiss roads you will need to purchase a vignette cost €28. Don't buy it from the border guards as they will take €30 from you and give you the change in Swiss Francs, which you'll feel you have to spend so you'll stop and you'll be aghast at the prices. Another good reason for buying the vignette ahead of time at a gas station is that you need not then peel the sticker off and fix it to your wind screen. Just slide it into the edge of the screen where it can be seen. This way the vignette stays recyclable.
\I agree with this advice, these sort of motels are great, you can turn up in the middle of the night and just insert a credit card for a key card

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.