Reload this Page >

how to watch UK TV online

how to watch UK TV online

Old Nov 26th 2007, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

markute will become famous soon enough
Default how to watch UK TV online

Hello everybody!

I've just read the discussion on getting UK sky TV in Italy with a UK sky card etc. and that all sounds very interesting and I'll bear it in mind. However, does anybody know if there's a cheap or free way to watch the main UK channels online as the websites won't let you watch their programms outside the UK. Any tips? I really want the BBC channels, ITV etc, but apart from a very expensive package on 'live UK TV streams' http://www.liveuktv.com/ I haven't found anything that looks remotely interesting. And the above is faaaar to expensive for me.
I haven't got a TV or a working areal, so if I went down the 'proper TV way' I'd have to start from zero.

Ciao, markute
Old Nov 27th 2007, 10:33 am
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: how to watch UK TV online

Originally Posted by markute
Hello everybody!

I've just read the discussion on getting UK sky TV in Italy with a UK sky card etc. and that all sounds very interesting and I'll bear it in mind. However, does anybody know if there's a cheap or free way to watch the main UK channels online as the websites won't let you watch their programms outside the UK. Any tips? I really want the BBC channels, ITV etc, but apart from a very expensive package on 'live UK TV streams' http://www.liveuktv.com/ I haven't found anything that looks remotely interesting. And the above is faaaar to expensive for me.
I haven't got a TV or a working areal, so if I went down the 'proper TV way' I'd have to start from zero.

Ciao, markute
Depends if you have any close friends in the UK who are willing to share their broadband with you. In which case just buy a slingbox and have it delivered to them. The slingbox is then connected to their TV and you can connect to it via the internet.

There are companies who offer this service but in my opinion they are far too expensive, i.e. monthly fees of approx £40 - it would be far cheaper to pay for broadband internet for somebody in the UK, i.e. from £10 monthly.

Another option would be to use an anonymous proxy server that hides your IP address and country location allowing you to sign up to watch the UK TV services on the internet. It is afterall this information that is blocking you from signing up. With the anonymous proxy server you should be able to choose the desired country location.

Hope this helped.
Old Nov 27th 2007, 2:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by duffer
Depends if you have any close friends in the UK who are willing to share their broadband with you. In which case just buy a slingbox and have it delivered to them. The slingbox is then connected to their TV and you can connect to it via the internet.

There are companies who offer this service but in my opinion they are far too expensive, i.e. monthly fees of approx £40 - it would be far cheaper to pay for broadband internet for somebody in the UK, i.e. from £10 monthly.

Another option would be to use an anonymous proxy server that hides your IP address and country location allowing you to sign up to watch the UK TV services on the internet. It is afterall this information that is blocking you from signing up. With the anonymous proxy server you should be able to choose the desired country location.

Hope this helped.
Thanks duffer, I'll look into that. Especially the slingbox sounds interesting...
Old Nov 28th 2007, 10:13 am
Just Joined

dpmerano is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks duffer, I'll look into that. Especially the slingbox sounds interesting...
Another option would be to get just a used Sky Digibox with a freeview (even a expired one)card.....(I think that still works) and hoke it up with your satellite dish (which you can get here for round 60€ & I even know a guy who can install it for you, i.e. I paid 60€ to install a normal satellite dish but we only get Sky News, BBC and some other english channels but not BBC 1 etc. as we favoured to have the satellite hooked up with Hotbird and the other Astra, to get the german and other channels.....although at times I also do miss East Enders hahaha..) I'll explain it later to you ;-)
I don't have any experience with internet TV but know that there are also some ways to get it.......I use sometimes a Proxy to get round the UK restrictions to listen live-In to some radio stations......

Last edited by dpmerano; Nov 28th 2007 at 10:16 am.
Old Nov 28th 2007, 11:56 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dpmerano
Another option would be to get just a used Sky Digibox with a freeview (even a expired one)card.....(I think that still works) and hoke it up with your satellite dish (which you can get here for round 60€ & I even know a guy who can install it for you, i.e. I paid 60€ to install a normal satellite dish but we only get Sky News, BBC and some other english channels but not BBC 1 etc. as we favoured to have the satellite hooked up with Hotbird and the other Astra, to get the german and other channels.....although at times I also do miss East Enders hahaha..) I'll explain it later to you ;-)
I don't have any experience with internet TV but know that there are also some ways to get it.......I use sometimes a Proxy to get round the UK restrictions to listen live-In to some radio stations......
Found that website:

http://www.connectedinternet.co.uk/2...nline-tvlinks/

Perhaps you might also find something there.....but be careful....there are also plenty of bogus sites around which promise heaven to earth and in the end it's nothing.
There are these sites where you pay a one off fee, but personally I don't have any experience with them, try to google and see what others say about certain sites.

Regards,
dp
Old Nov 29th 2007, 9:32 am
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

Hi DP, Have you tried using a proxy to use any of the streaming video services by any chance?
Old Nov 29th 2007, 10:52 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by duffer
Hi DP, Have you tried using a proxy to use any of the streaming video services by any chance?
No, just used them for the radio......but I'll give it a go and check whether it works as well for streaming videos.....I guess it'll work if it works with audio.
Old Nov 29th 2007, 12:17 pm
Pull my finger

No, just used them for the radio......but I'll give it a go and check whether it works as well for streaming videos.....I guess it'll work if it works with audio.
I'm concerned with the quality of the video because it requires more bandwidth. A proxy server I used previously was very slow... Can you recommend any?
Old Nov 29th 2007, 4:46 pm
Just Joined

salice is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello everybody!

Ciao, markute
Why don't you watch Italian T.V ?
Old Nov 29th 2007, 10:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by salice
Why don't you watch Italian T.V ?
Hi Salice

I don't quite understand the reasoning behind your question. I simply miss Eastenders, Have I got News for you, Child of our Time, I'm a Celebrity, Friday Night with Jonathan Ross, Newsnight, Dr. Who, Film 2007, Question Time, Shameless, The Mighty Boosh, BBC news/documentaries/wildlife+history programms, etc. etc. etc.
Why do you think people are happy when they spot a tin of Heinz Baked Beans on a shelf of an Italian supermarket? Because it's something that they missed. If you're fond of Italian TV, you might miss it when you leave this country, and I'm quite sure that even Italian TV offers the occasional gem. It just happens that I was stuck watching it for 20 years while growing up in this country and now that I've come across something better I miss it.

P.S. Really, if there are any good programms I'm missing then please do let me know!
Old Nov 30th 2007, 10:15 am
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

The only thing that bothers me about using a proxy is does it then mean you will have problems connecting to your regular ISP or webmail because you are disguised and they won't recognise you? I looked at it as a way of connecting direct to the ABC and some other US TV sites where the most up to date versions of shows I like are shown.

I may try connecting my old Uk boxes to see if anything happens, will let you know.
Old Nov 30th 2007, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

giuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nice

Hi Salice

I don't quite understand the reasoning behind your question. I simply miss Eastenders, Have I got News for you, Child of our Time, I'm a Celebrity, Friday Night with Jonathan Ross, Newsnight, Dr. Who, Film 2007, Question Time, Shameless, The Mighty Boosh, BBC news/documentaries/wildlife+history programms, etc. etc. etc.
Why do you think people are happy when they spot a tin of Heinz Baked Beans on a shelf of an Italian supermarket? Because it's something that they missed. If you're fond of Italian TV, you might miss it when you leave this country, and I'm quite sure that even Italian TV offers the occasional gem. It just happens that I was stuck watching it for 20 years while growing up in this country and now that I've come across something better I miss it.

P.S. Really, if there are any good programms I'm missing then please do let me know!
If you get Sky and watch BBC prime channel 138 you can watch Eastenders on Saturday and Sundays . They are 2 weeks behind UK , but I watch it every week.
Old Dec 1st 2007, 10:49 am
Pull my finger

Originally Posted by giuliana
If you get Sky and watch BBC prime channel 138 you can watch Eastenders on Saturday and Sundays . They are 2 weeks behind UK , but I watch it every week.
Err... Why pay for Italian Sky when you can get the BBC for your EastEnders fix and ITV for Celebrity and Hell's Kitchen all for free??
Old Dec 1st 2007, 10:51 am
why
BE Forum Addict

why has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond repute

Hello everybody!

Ciao, markute
don't watch the telly go and llive your life where you live
Old Dec 1st 2007, 3:31 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed, but when it costs €50 for a babysitter and your husband is away 3 weeks at a time it is nice to have a range of things to do in the house that don't require too much effort. Especially after grappling a 3 year old to bed!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.