Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Help!Anybody in Sicily ?!

Help!Anybody in Sicily ?!

Old Jan 22nd 2009, 2:36 pm
Forum Regular

enterprise1999 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Help!Anybody in Sicily ?!

Apart from Cianciana and another place sounds like cuccamo or something like that............ Sicily is " Costa Lotta " and with the taxes and fees involved, the costs are too much for mere mortals.
Plus Cianciana is the home of many Sicilian families whos relatives live in and around Essex here in the UK..... They even call it " Little Sicily " over here.
And of course now the pound is as near as dam the same as a Euro, prices in Sicily are now more than a lot of Brits can afford.
So if I get no luck looking at places next week which are legal and with no problems,. I like many others might sadly have to look for other sunny countries in which to live.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 2:41 pm
Forum Regular

giuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nice

Could think of better places to live in Sicily than Cianciano!!! No offence Ciancianese!
I think nearer the coast you can find property with reasonable prices.
The recession has hit over here as well so there is a lot of bargains to be had that is if you got the cash!!!
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

Tell me where on the island to look for such bargains I've been to Sicily many many times and the new inlaws are Sicillian.......... I've been looking for bout 18 months now and I've not come accross anything I can afford...... Find a legal place between 30 to 40.000 Euros and I'll have a look next week.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 2:50 pm
Forum Regular

giuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nice

Yes there are property at these prices here but they will need renovation.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 3:20 pm
Forum Regular

Sadly with the renovation, taxes and fees. Plus the Pound Euro rate, looks like Sicily is becoming a bit Expensive for us Brits. I can now buy in the Uk aution properties at a better overall cost.
That then is the reason places like Cianciana and Caccamo are still in the frame.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 4:28 pm
Forum Regular

Renovation as in a lick of paint or some rewiring and plumbing but not major work. Just seen a couple on a web site around the 28,000 . Apartment with 2 bedrooms . Don't know if this compares with the kosher stuff you find in Cianciano
Be aware when buying that you have checked all planning permissions and if the sellers are the legal owners.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 6:02 pm
Forum Regular

Cut and paste the link for me please and I'll take a look
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 6:22 pm
Forum Regular

bwthynenfys is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by giuliana
Why are you all so interested in Cianciana? Seems all British are buying there!!
Hi no we are just looking all over for property to retire to Cianciana came up in conversation. Are there a lot of British people living there?
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 6:25 pm
Forum Regular

bwthynenfys is an unknown quantity at this point

Could think of better places to live in Sicily than Cianciano!!! No offence Ciancianese!
I think nearer the coast you can find property with reasonable prices.
The recession has hit over here as well so there is a lot of bargains to be had that is if you got the cash!!!
Can you give us some more possible sites giuliana we need to keep options open.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 8:03 am
Forum Regular

http://www.futuraitalia.com/
Have a look at this but be aware totally overpriced. In the small villages around here you can find run down property at around 10,000 buying directly off the seller and not through an agency. They take a silly percentage. Last year we were offered a house for 4,000 but it had structural problems, good job my husband is a Geometra and he surveyed the property and noticed these problems straight away.
Try also Gabbetti.it
Meditalia.it
Italcasa.it
So you can get an idea of prices although they are most probable overpriced.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

kimmie is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Help!Anybody in Sicily ?!

Originally Posted by bwthynenfys
Hi no we are just looking all over for property to retire to Cianciana came up in conversation. Are there a lot of British people living there?
We are also looking in Calabria and Basilicata in southern Italy as well as Sicily.we prefer to live by the coast but are also looking at maybe a country house with some land that needs renovation a little and not too far from getting too the beach!!! In cianciana there are a lot of townhouses that are already renovated and ready to move into for the same amount of money so it seems a better buy.Any opinions or feedback on this would be appreciated.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

"SEEMS" but remember that property is about location also!!!
When the price seems to good to be true it usually isn't!

Last edited by giuliana; Jan 23rd 2009 at 10:02 am.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

kimmie is an unknown quantity at this point

"SEEMS" but remember that property is about location also!!!
very true! where do you think are the best places to look in sicily? we like it hot as we are used to a hot climate.We like country property that is a bit more off the beaten track, but our children prefer to live at the beach practically so we have to compromise and try to get as much as possible for the money.We will also have to think about schools as we will need to put the children into local schools.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 10:12 am
Forum Regular

I think you need to visit Sicily and try all the areas. Do you want to live near an airport? Do you want real Sicily or tourist Sicily? The nearer you get to Taormina the more expensive! Do you want to work here? Lots of questions but if I were you I would rent something before I would buy. It's very different from the UK.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 3:37 pm
Forum Regular

Off on the 4th for a bit of desk thumping at a certain agency in Cianciana..... Then look at all the properties on the books of theres and a few other agents.... I've emailed a few and rang another noticing nothing has sold since I decided on my dead duck in July....... So hopefully prices have now dropped. At least that will help with the pityfull pound.......... Fortunatly I have a few friends and a Lawyer in the family out there, as my Italian is next to none....... Mind you they tend to shut up and listen to the odd expletive.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.