Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Hello New Expat in Firenze

Hello New Expat in Firenze

Old Jan 7th 2014, 9:04 am
Just Joined

FirenzeMandy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hello New Expat in Firenze

Hi everyone, just moved to Florence to work for 7 months. Just wondering where I can improve my Italian, I hardly know any at all and really need to learn the language and become confident with the language.

Any ideas or suggestions would be amazing.

Thank you
Old Jan 7th 2014, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

criodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud of
Default Re: Hello New Expat in Firenze

Have you got a basic grasp? The fact you are there means you will improve it without even trying as you will have no choice! I found the radio and tv was good, but you could set up a language exchange?
Old Jan 7th 2014, 7:22 pm
Just Joined

Hi Criodain,

thanks for info. I dont have any grasp, but people tell me I will pick it up. Hopefully

thank you for your info, truly appreciated.
Old Jan 7th 2014, 8:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

linseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FirenzeMandy
Hi Criodain,

thanks for info. I dont have any grasp, but people tell me I will pick it up. Hopefully

thank you for your info, truly appreciated.
talk try always have a phase book with you , so you don't panic don't be frightened of making mistakes talk talk smile and enjoy there will be lots of people who will encourage you
Old Jan 7th 2014, 10:14 pm
Forum Regular

criodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud of

I went to Italy with the very basics, and surprised myself how much I picked up in the first three months. I could have basic conversations after three months.
I did listen to a lot of radio and was pretty much surrounded by the language all day every day.
How I wish I could go back, but the economic situation looks pretty bad!
Old Jan 9th 2014, 11:14 am
Just Joined

Hi, thanks for replies. I am now also wondering regarding food shopping. I am located in area 50127, I realise at the wrong turn I end up in dodgy places. The local lidl has a homeless shelter next to it and they all seem to be in there....lol. I hate to admit this but missing certain things from UK, however the culture and traditions are intriguing particularly food and digestion. As I have long days it's hard to explore and get to know the area. So if anyone has any handy hints or tips that would be amazing.