Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Gift ideas for Italian friends

Gift ideas for Italian friends

Old Nov 18th 2017, 11:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gift ideas for Italian friends

All Italians really want are edibles and I think tins of branded chocolate assortments go down extremely well. We usually go with things we know they like (Italian products) and will use rather than something they're likely to regift-and possibly back to yourself once they think you've forgotten
Old Nov 18th 2017, 11:40 am
BE Enthusiast

BRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pica
All Italians really want are edibles and I think tins of branded chocolate assortments go down extremely well. We usually go with things we know they like (Italian products) and will use rather than something they're likely to regift-and possibly back to yourself once they think you've forgotten
Good idea,I forgot the OH packs tins of celebrations and quality street etc.when we drive back after xmas.They love those.I love this thread,anyone would think we're talking about a tribe of longlost headhunters in Borneo,lol.
Old Nov 18th 2017, 11:43 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Something you've made yourself would be very much appreciated. Preserved fruits, jams, lemon/orange/passionfruit curd, pickles etc etc etc. You can get some lovely bottles/jars in the UK very cheaply.
Old Nov 18th 2017, 2:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Something you've made yourself would be very much appreciated. Preserved fruits, jams, lemon/orange/passionfruit curd, pickles etc etc etc. You can get some lovely bottles/jars in the UK very cheaply.
They make enough of those themselves and would possibly be suspicious of how safe they'd be to eat 🤣
Old Nov 18th 2017, 2:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BRIAN 1
Good idea,I forgot the OH packs tins of celebrations and quality street etc.when we drive back after xmas.They love those.I love this thread,anyone would think we're talking about a tribe of longlost headhunters in Borneo,lol.
Lol, you're not far off 😉
Old Nov 18th 2017, 2:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

BRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond repute

They make enough of those themselves and would possibly be suspicious of how safe they'd be to eat � ����
That's true, our neighbours give us some lovely jams and marmalades from their fruit trees.
Old Nov 19th 2017, 6:36 am
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

There are plenty of sloes in the woods at the moment. I have some sloe gin maturing that should be ready for Xmas. It would make a nice change from pine grappa for your neighbours.
Old Nov 19th 2017, 7:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Serrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond repute

They make enough of those themselves and would possibly be suspicious of how safe they'd be to eat 🤣
Not my experience at all. At comunal dinners our stuff (usually soups, speciality breads, desserts and/or cakes) are usually the first to go. People love the unusual ingredients / ideas that we have, the very few who were a bit reserved have been persuaded by the majority. In our B&B (which caters almost exclusively to Italians) the same goes for our jams and preserves. So, I'd say, give it a try.
Old Nov 19th 2017, 7:47 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

Ive never failed by giving home made lemon curd, an a proper sponge cake instead of the fatless italian ones are always popular.
Old Nov 19th 2017, 7:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to all
Lightbulb Re: Gift ideas for Italian friends

Try giving them some flies' graveyards.
Old Nov 19th 2017, 9:46 pm
Forum Regular

heritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond repute

Great thread! I've found that jars of Scottish boar pate go down well with the neighbours, though they may think it's a pretty weird thing to do with cinghiale.
Old Nov 20th 2017, 7:31 am
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

My lot love Cadbury's big milk chocolate bars, Qualty street or Roses mix tins, and Walker's shortbread selections.
Old Nov 20th 2017, 8:40 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

We usually go with things we know they like (Italian products) and will use rather than something they're likely to regift-and possibly back to yourself once they think you've forgotten
When I was still a nanny I told my boss that one of her family members had kindly given me a boxed set of summer pyjamas for my birthday. She asked me to describe them to her so I did. Turns out that they were the exact same pyjamas that she had given the Aunt a few years earlier.
Old Nov 20th 2017, 9:15 am
BE Enthusiast

GeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud of

Some excellent ideas on here, thanks all.

Sancho - I always thought the correct term was "squashed fly biscuits" but happy to stand corrected!

Phil - yours sounds an excellent idea but I wouldn't have a hope of recognising a sloe, I don't even know if they grow this far north. I remember the landlady at our old local in North Lincolnshire used to make her own sloe gin and it was bloody good, handed out to selected punters around Christmas time.
Old Nov 21st 2017, 4:26 pm
Forum Regular

Accetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond repute

quality street in Italian shops costs a fortune. We brought some large 'tins' back with us last month for prezzies.
We were also asked to bring back chocolate digestives, shortbread and porage oats.
My wife makes a mean lemon curd, so we'll give that a try in future.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.