Reload this Page >

Getting SKY Tv in Italy

Getting SKY Tv in Italy

Old Aug 3rd 2012, 12:18 pm
Forum Regular

Wiffy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Getting SKY Tv in Italy

Originally Posted by sonofjoe
Has SKY News now moved to the new satellite?
Does anyone know if you can get it via ‘other channels’ ? If so what are the numbers!
Had no problems with Sky News last PM.

Someone else can confirm, but I think that for OC it's 12207
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 3:06 pm
Forum Regular

sonofjoe will become famous soon enoughsonofjoe will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Wiffy
Had no problems with Sky News last PM.

Someone else can confirm, but I think that for OC it's 12207

Yeah we got it last night... well early hours of this morning 2am. Got up today no Sky news Sky 1+ Sky 2+ and other news programs. We use 12480 but will try 12207. Thanks
Old Aug 5th 2012, 4:53 pm
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

Sky News (SD) is still on frequency 12207, where it has been for a few years now.
It has not changed or moved satellites.
If you cannot get Sky News (SD) on 501, then you will not get it via other channels, as Sky News (SD) on 501 uses 12207 - so pointless trying really!

Unless you mean Sky News HD....? But then that too has not changed frequency or satellite over the last few days.

Which suggests some other issue with oyur sytem, be it dish alignment, LNB, poor cabling......which is causing channel drops.

We use 12480
Thats a Channel Four Transponder / Frequency. It carries the Irish versions of Channel 4, and a few of the Channel 4 music channels. It does not, and has never, carried Sky News.

Dont get confused with what changing the defualt transponder does...it helps boot a sky box up when the data on 11778 is unavailable to boot the sky box up. thats all and nothing else. changing it does not improve individual channel reception. once your EPG has data in it, the sky box ignores your manually input frequency, and uses whichever of the 125+ frequencies it needs to use for the channel you have selected.

Last edited by The Guy; Aug 5th 2012 at 4:59 pm.
Old Aug 5th 2012, 10:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by The Guy

Thats a Channel Four Transponder / Frequency. It carries the Irish versions of Channel 4, and a few of the Channel 4 music channels. It does not, and has never, carried Sky News.
Strange... I have been getting all channels on transponder 12480 for the past 3-4 years, sky news, ITV etc. (until ITV changed satellite that is) When I booted it up I changed from 11778 to 12480 and got all the progs - cept BBC. I changed to transponder 12207 and got no signal received!! Changed it to 12230 and hey presto back to where I was... Sky news on 501
Old Aug 6th 2012, 6:26 am

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

Strange... I have been getting all channels on transponder 12480 for the past 3-4 years, sky news, ITV etc. (until ITV changed satellite that is) When I booted it up I changed from 11778 to 12480 and got all the progs - cept BBC. I changed to transponder 12207 and got no signal received!! Changed it to 12230 and hey presto back to where I was... Sky news on 501
if you look at
http://www.lyngsat.com/packages/skyuk.html
or http://en.kingofsat.net/pos-28.2E.php
frequency 12480 only carries 10 channels, owned / operated by channel 4.
so you will not be getting all channels on 12480.
No Sky news on 12480
No ITVs on 12480 (before or after any satellite movements!)
No BBCs on 12480.
No etcs on 12480.
You can see from the list that Sky news, ITVs BBCs and all the other chanenls are on other frequencies.

so it is impossible for to "getting all channels on transponder 12480 for the past 3-4 years"...there simply is not the space on one frequency / transponder for all channels, which is why they are spread over ta number of frequencies.

I changed to transponder 12207 and got no signal received!! Changed it to 12230 and hey presto back to where I was... Sky news on 501
Well if you look at links i have posted, you will see that 12207 is the only frequency for Sky News. So if you can receive Sky News you are receiving 12207, as it is the only frequency Sky News in on! You will not receive Sky News on any other frequency.

And you will see that the frequencies around 12230 are allocated to HD channels, with symbol rates and FECs that are unable to be manually input on a sky box! So you cannot be using 12230 to boot a sky box up, as you cannot set the sky box to the correct setting for 12230! Try inputting a symbol rate of 29500 into a sky box - not possiable as it is not an option!

Like i said in my previous post... you need to understand what changing the the default transponder actually does. it does not help individual channel reception. it only helps the sky box boot up.
when it boots, the sky box must download EPG data to start to function.
The main 7 day data is on 11778.
If this is unavailable, then as every other frequency carries limited data, you can use those other frequencies.

Once the data has been loaded to the Sky box, then box will use whichever frequency it needs to for the channel you have seletced...ignoring your manually input frequency. The BBC channel alone are spread over 5 or 6 different frequencies!

So althought you have "set" the default transponder to another, you will not be receiveing all 500 plus channels on that single transponder. channels are spread over the 125+ frequencies, with each frequency carring some channels - usually between 4-10 channels only.

Changing the default transponder when you already have channels available and epg data available can "block" the sky box and result in no signal messages for subsequent frequencies that are input. ideally every time you change the default transpodner you need to unplug the sky box from the power and reboot is before you input another frequency to use as the default transponder.

Last edited by The Guy; Aug 6th 2012 at 6:59 am.
Old Aug 6th 2012, 7:01 am
Forum Regular

Thanks The Guy
Now I'm all confused - but never mind it suits my age.
I don't know how or why it does it but I have all channels. Cept BBC, ITV & 5.

I have a question! Channels 450-470 something, the Olympic channels. How come I can only receive 3 or 4 of these? And I can use the red button on them, not that it helps as when I select a sport (that is in progress) I only get a picture of London!
Old Aug 6th 2012, 7:11 am

Thanks The Guy
Now I'm all confused - but never mind it suits my age.
I don't know how or why it does it but I have all channels. Cept BBC, ITV & 5.
Sounds like your dish is too small for where you are to be able to receive the frequencies that those channels are on.

(If all channels were on just one frequency 12480, then it would really be an issue if you could only get some and not all channels!)

There are 4 satellites providing UK satellite TV.
The channels are spread over a number of frequencies, that are on 7 different satellite beams
Each beam has its own reception characteristic and dish size requriement.

I have a question! Channels 450-470 something, the Olympic channels. How come I can only receive 3 or 4 of these? And I can use the red button on them, not that it helps as when I select a sport (that is in progress) I only get a picture of London!

Again using the links I possted, te BBC Olympic channels are spread over a number of different frequencies over a few satellites.

Some of these frequencies will be easier to receive than others (its the same where I am in Spain - where some channels can be recieved on a 60cm dish, yet others can fade a bit late afternoon even on a 1.8m dish!)

For example 16 of thre channels are on the same satellite as BBC1,2,3,4, itv1,2,3,4, abnd the fives... so as you cannot receive these main channels, then you will not be able to receive 16 BBC olympic channels.

And will be the reason why when you select that channel using the red button it hangs on the London graphic, as it is trying to locate a channel that you are unable to receive.

BBC Olympics 3, 6, 9, 12, 13, 16, 19, 22 are on a different satellite to the main BBC ITV Fives and other 16 BBC Olympic channels, which may explain why you can receive only a few of these channels.

Last edited by The Guy; Aug 6th 2012 at 7:18 am.
Old Aug 6th 2012, 9:45 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by The Guy
Sounds like your dish is too small for where you are to be able to receive the frequencies that those channels are on.
Naples
90cm dish
Old Aug 6th 2012, 10:12 am

Naples
90cm dish
Like i said Sounds like your dish is too small for where you are to be able to receive the frequencies that those channels (BBC ITV C4 and Fives) are on - as mentioned to you in msg 696 a few weeks ago!

Last edited by The Guy; Aug 6th 2012 at 10:16 am.
Old Aug 16th 2012, 11:51 am
Just Joined

Snickter is an unknown quantity at this point

Have had Italian technician in so that we can now get Italian TV, which we haven't been able to receive since they went digital in April, as well as my English sky. Since he carried out the work I can get everything except channel 4, 4+1 and any corresponding channels. Any clues! Would I be better to just cut my losses and live without those channels?
Old Aug 16th 2012, 1:54 pm
Banned

twisty100 will become famous soon enough

Just get a VPN! I used www.***************** and have access to all TV including SKY with my subscription form home.
Old Aug 17th 2012, 10:12 am
Just Joined

benwarburton has a reputation beyond reputebenwarburton has a reputation beyond reputebenwarburton has a reputation beyond reputebenwarburton has a reputation beyond reputebenwarburton has a reputation beyond reputebenwarburton has a reputation beyond reputebenwarburton has a reputation beyond reputebenwarburton has a reputation beyond reputebenwarburton has a reputation beyond reputebenwarburton has a reputation beyond reputebenwarburton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snickter
Have had Italian technician in so that we can now get Italian TV, which we haven't been able to receive since they went digital in April, as well as my English sky. Since he carried out the work I can get everything except channel 4, 4+1 and any corresponding channels. Any clues! Would I be better to just cut my losses and live without those channels?
It could be a few things,faulty box,dish not pointed right,too small depending where you are.have a look at the signal strength and quality if its low,it could be you have lost a couple of trasponders.ask the technician to point the dish using 10714 h 22000 or 10729 v 22000 which are the ones you can't see
Old Aug 27th 2012, 8:38 pm
Just Joined

Snickter is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for replies regarding Channel 4. Am still waiting for technician to come back (he is Italian and it is holiday season - so it could be a while!). Meanwhile in addition to losing Channel 4 and corresponding channels we keep losing our sky. Message keeps coming to unplug and wait five minutes and then plug in again. When we do this the sky channels come back. Could this be a problem with our viewing card? Are the two problems likely to be connected?
Old Aug 29th 2012, 6:08 am
Just Joined

benwarburton has a reputation beyond reputebenwarburton has a reputation beyond reputebenwarburton has a reputation beyond reputebenwarburton has a reputation beyond reputebenwarburton has a reputation beyond reputebenwarburton has a reputation beyond reputebenwarburton has a reputation beyond reputebenwarburton has a reputation beyond reputebenwarburton has a reputation beyond reputebenwarburton has a reputation beyond reputebenwarburton has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for replies regarding Channel 4. Am still waiting for technician to come back (he is Italian and it is holiday season - so it could be a while!). Meanwhile in addition to losing Channel 4 and corresponding channels we keep losing our sky. Message keeps coming to unplug and wait five minutes and then plug in again. When we do this the sky channels come back. Could this be a problem with our viewing card? Are the two problems likely to be connected?
yes it could be connected to the other problem as it could be your decoder or as you say the card but i have never heard of card problems before.decoders can be fixed without sending them back to the uk if you speak to your technician he may be able to help.i usually send customers to my wholealers who are a sky dealer.you are going to have to pay regardless of how new or old it is as you are on an english contract.wait until the technician has been though who should confirm that your signal is fine first.

Ben
Old Aug 29th 2012, 8:28 am
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

What type of Sky digibox do you have? Is it a new black HD box or a white Sky+ box? I presume you have the white viewing card? I've not seen this type of message before, are you quoting verbatim? If there was a fault with the card you would get a different type of message. I presume it might be a problem with the signal being lost but it is just a guess.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.