Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Gardening by Post?

Gardening by Post?

Old Jan 16th 2010, 11:20 am
Banned

bricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nice
Default Re: Gardening by Post?

yes I have seen that on packets, maybe the Latin name, thanks
Old Jan 16th 2010, 12:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

angeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to all

Ummmmmm Bricwood.....seeds from Thailand and 'Morning Glory' seeds - a natural source of LSD - beware the carabinieri!!! Tried some echium seed (grown in Cornwall) here, a biennial, survived 1st yr but not 2nd...so did not reap results......am not put off though !!!!!
Old Jan 16th 2010, 12:30 pm
Banned

bricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nice

the worse thing I take is extra strong mints, even then I feel guilty afterwards, I seem to remember morning glory being banned in the 60s because of people eating them but they are freely available now, I have also planted purple opium poppies from my garden in London where they always grew and looked fantastic
Old Jan 16th 2010, 12:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

angeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to all

Sorry, but I'm too young to remember the 60's well.....just a childhood haze....but I do remember and have heard of Donavan and a song about 'Mellow Yellow' - was that a type of fungi which may suit growing in this sort of climate...? On a more serious note, I too liked the toad story...got any more.....
Old Jan 16th 2010, 12:50 pm
Banned

thanks for the rose link, I have sent for a catalogue , I had a lot of roses in London my rose round the door was called "Montana" it was yellow and climbed up the house also "superstar" a pinky red colour also in the front garden, a man who lives opposite my old house says the Asians who bought my house pulled them up straight away, that's progress
Old Jan 16th 2010, 1:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

I used to sell bare-root roses in england and have a real passion for them. Shame about the asian gentleman pulling yours up but hey, maybe they needed replacing - due to old age ??? Maybe not, just a choice thing... Have just smuggled a few in and have planted this week so fingers crosssed, in a few years they will look fantastic....Roses just love it here - like me....just not so keen on grey days...dog doesn't mind though so he wants to take me for a 'very english' passaggio.....
Old Jan 16th 2010, 1:47 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Anybody sucessfully grown parsnips here?
Old Jan 16th 2010, 2:06 pm
Banned

I am sure parsnips would grow if you water them, I had roses in my old garden that my gran planted in the 30s, still fantastic flowers like cabbages, don't even know what sort they were, people have roses here and they seem to do well , I think roses are the best value as they flower for such a long time and don't need much care
Old Jan 16th 2010, 2:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Have friends who manage parsnips here....crutial thing apart from soil is planting at the right time....governed by phases of the moon...... Well, if it works, dont knock it.......Am about to order my bio-dynamic calender from Amazon...can look up on line but a chore.....
Old Jan 16th 2010, 2:24 pm
Banned

my old garden, it looks a bit wild but so am I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_M61SQNszQ&NR=1
Old Jan 16th 2010, 2:49 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bricwood
my old garden, it looks a bit wild but so am I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_M61SQNszQ&NR=1
Wow you have your garden on youtube. I think it looks really lovely.
Old Jan 16th 2010, 2:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wild is good....cant see though as only dial up here...nice yellow flower to begin.....was it a rose....or what was it....started looking at upside down tomato growing but fell asleep as sooooo slow.....Will check out 'Peter's' garden another day...
Old Jan 16th 2010, 3:58 pm
Banned

I was going mad with a dongle for internet now I have broadband via my tv antenna , a firm came put a white box on my roof which connects to the internet through another antenna I can see on the horizon, its not like you get in the uk 10 mgbs but its workable I get about 2 meg on a good day its effected by the weather I think but I can watch telly from england in the morning before to many go online, I will put my garden here on youtube as it develops, its free! and easy to do, things on youtube come up in searches too it belongs to google
Old Jan 16th 2010, 4:43 pm
Forum Regular

Salerno will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
me and turnips too

Mother in law has a big field out the back of our house and shes been growing things in it over the years. We've got lemon trees and we make about 100 bottles of limoncello during the summer, tomatoes and we make all our sauces for the winter, kiwi, orange, apple, grapes (she makes cracking wine that smells like shite but 2 glasses and you're dancing on the tables) peaches, strawberries, carrots, cauliflower, "broccoli" (which is nothing like our broccoli at home or broccoli in the north ) cabbages, parsnips and turnips (I brought the seeds from home) peppers, zucchini, cucumbers, melons and watermelons. She keeps us, herself and FIL, brother inlaw wife and kids feed and then gives some to her brother and sisters.

We also buy 2 pigs and 2 calves each Spetember and fatten them up before killing them and freezing the meat, making salami e sopressata and the links.

the joys of living in the country!
Old Jan 16th 2010, 4:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Margaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Well I bought some seeds here and gave them to the guy who does our garden. He said he would try, but didn't think they would grow. He hasn't given us any yet, so I guess they didn't grow.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.