Gardening

Old Oct 14th 2016, 2:20 pm
Forum Regular

ALFIE15 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Gardening

I have finished some building work and have to reseed a grass area with a slope. Tried seeding but with the Autumn Toscana rain not only does it wash the seed but soil away as well.πŸ€”πŸ˜‚Is anyone aware of a turf supplier in the Pescai/Lucca area and also what do the Italians call it.
Bad timing I know to establish grass but got to try .
Old Oct 14th 2016, 2:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Capo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gardening

Alfie, reject anything you find now. Time to replant - turf is in the Spring. For you, around Lucca, you are talking about March as the earliest. If particularly warm winter then can probably go with late February but if coldish then early April.
Old Oct 14th 2016, 2:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Capo Boi
Alfie, reject anything you find now. Time to replant - turf is in the Spring. For you, around Lucca, you are talking about March as the earliest. If particularly warm winter then can probably go with late February but if coldish then early April.
Thanks for the advise do the Italians have what we call turf and if so what does it translate to ?
Old Oct 14th 2016, 3:30 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Grass seed should grow well in the autumn, and I believe that is generally the best time to sow grass, giving it the most time to establish itself before the heat of summer. If you can't find regular lawn grass seed (not sure what that be in Italy), can you find rye grass? (Maybe from an agricultural supplier. ) Rye grass grows well even in very cold temperatures, and will stop erosion over the winter, but will die in heat of early summer.

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 14th 2016 at 3:36 pm.
Old Oct 14th 2016, 3:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Grass seed should grow well in the autumn. If you can't find regular lawn grass seed (not sure what that be in Italy), can you find rye grass - that grows well even in very cold temperatures, and will stop erosion over the winter, but will die in heat of early summer.
The grass seed I put down two weeks ago doing well, just the seed I put on the slope not taking between downpours and getting washed away. Although the bottom of the slope going to thick and lush at this rate.lol
Old Oct 14th 2016, 3:45 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ALFIE15
The grass seed I put down two weeks ago doing well, just the seed I put on the slope not taking between downpours and getting washed away. Although the bottom of the slope going to thick and lush at this rate.lol
I wonder if you can find lawn-seeding straw blanket rolls, like this? It helps retain moisture in dry weather, stops erosion and holds seed in place while it germinates, and it rots away after a few months.
Old Oct 14th 2016, 4:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Capo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond repute

My grass, photo taken 5 minutes ago. From turf, around 6 years ago. Stand by what I said.

CB.
Attached Thumbnails Gardening-img_0082.jpg  
Old Oct 14th 2016, 4:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

I have to add though, that Pulaski is a seriously knowledgeable poster.

IMO best turf is Splendido.

Last edited by Capo Boi; Oct 14th 2016 at 4:37 pm.
Old Oct 14th 2016, 5:04 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Capo Boi
My grass, photo taken 5 minutes ago. From turf, around 6 years ago. Stand by what I said.

CB.
Australian grass, the best way to grow it is upside down....

I'm amazed the water doesn't fall out of the pool though..
Old Oct 14th 2016, 5:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

I'm not very good at this uploading lark......