Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Fat people - I need help

Fat people - I need help

Old Mar 7th 2013, 2:23 pm
Back in US & happy!

becks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fat people - I need help

Originally Posted by willmore
Have you been for a visit to your doctor to confirm that there arent any medical problems? Get the ok and then be referred to nutritionist for a menu and weigh in.

Now that spring is in the air (well at least on the west coast of canada), get out and start walking. Short distances at first and then increase as you can. Grab the dog and take him/her for walk on the beach.

Good luck wih your weight challenged journey......
Actually it probably is a good idea to go to docs first - simply cos if you know things like blood pressure before you start, then it feels so great when you back after a month and find they have all changed for the best
Old Mar 7th 2013, 2:46 pm
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by becks_r
Ok answers to your questions:

I tend to fast on Tuesday and Thursday, or Monday and Wednesday. Depends on what I am doing, I don't fast on days I'm going out, although I do figure I could skip food and have wine instead

But sometimes it will be Monday and Friday, or Tuesday and Saturday - all depends on what days are the easiest.

On the other days I eat what I like, but I have to say after a few weeks I found I didn't eat as much on the non fast days - but really you can eat normally.

The feast day - I tend to eat normally during the day and have a huge meal in evening with cocktails, wine, cheese, steak etc. You just have to have higher calories to kick start the hormone.

And a typical fast day - I tend to eat breakfast as late as possible, which is easy for me as I often don't feel hungry first thing. And breakfast is cereal and milk. Then I have lots of tea or coffee during day and often skip lunch. Then I eat dinner and I tend to make a veg stir fry, veg curry, or white fish and veg. Most veg are low in calories so you can eat loads for say 300 - 400 calories.

So my breakfast is about 130 calories, and my dinner is around 400, but as I said loads of veg can be about 300 and then you could have another bowl of cereal for lunch or a salad. You have to avoid pasta, potatoes, rice on these days but have them back on all the others.

And it really works - the first couple of weeks the fast days are the hardest and I have heard some people get headaches in the first few weeks, but I didn't. I found it easy cos on the fast days I knew I would have something wonderful the next day

Oh one more thing to remember, weighing every day does mean you see your weight going up and down and it is annoying when you weigh more than yesterday. Most diet books say weigh weekly - it gives a better idea of how the weight is going. You don't want to lose weight too quickly, that isn't good for you either. Then also remember muscle weighs more than fat, so at some stage the weight will be deceptive. I don't weigh myself - I judge by what fits, how I look and can I walk faster with the dog and be able to breath (she hates me being fitter, means she has to walk faster too)

Hope this helps - I did look at some websites, so I will try and find them again for you, and feel free to ask more questions if you want.
This is great Becks. I will start it tomororw, with a fast day and see how it goes for the next 3 weeks when I'll turn 40. I'll keep you updated.
So you don't regain the weight that you lose on the fast day at all? Because with me I might skip a meal and my weight would drop, I would do this 2 days running but on the 3rd day if I eat a lot, I would be back to square one!
Old Mar 7th 2013, 5:22 pm
Back in US & happy!

becks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by duffer
This is great Becks. I will start it tomororw, with a fast day and see how it goes for the next 3 weeks when I'll turn 40. I'll keep you updated.
So you don't regain the weight that you lose on the fast day at all? Because with me I might skip a meal and my weight would drop, I would do this 2 days running but on the 3rd day if I eat a lot, I would be back to square one!
As regards regaining the weight - what happens is fasting 2 days a week lowers this thing called IGF-1 - which is an insulin like growth factor. Lowering it helps with fat burning. I think what you are describing with skipping meals for a couple of days and then getting back to square one is that on those days you skipped a meal, you were still having more than 600 calories in the day.

When I started I weighed all the food and calculated every meal, but I then realised that if I was careful with the weight of the cereal - made sure it was the real portion size, and made a big bowl of something veggie, I didn't need to calculate anything.

As long as the fast days are around 600 calories and the normal days are less than the feast day, it should work for you. I don't tend to look on this as a diet - because I eat veg only on the fast days the amount of food I am actually eating is more than enough for me and my husband (who is a foot taller than me and doesn't feel like he is being starved on the fast days). And I don't mind the veg days as I eat meat and fish etc on the other 5 days
Old Mar 7th 2013, 6:29 pm
Back in US & happy!

oh - some websites:

http://thefastdiet.co.uk/ - the first top part of the website seems to be just an advert for the book, but scroll down and there is loads of info

http://weeatthings.com/ - this at first seems a weird place for info on the 5:2 diet as its a blog about food, but if you look at the archives, they had guest bloggers detailing their experiences
Old Mar 7th 2013, 11:42 pm
Banned

6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute

OK I admit it I have weight issues.

Actually, it's the OH that has issues with my weight. I have tried dieting and cutting out bread and limiting myself to just half a bottle of prosecco but I don't seem to last more than 2 to 3 days of a diet. I could go through a whole 2 days eating nothing but crappy salad but then in the evening I'd eat a whole chocolate bar and a bag of peanuts.

Anyway, I think the problem is psychological because I'm afraid to be skinny or something like that. So I need help, ideally from ex-depressed fat people who are now normal and skinny. I want to lose between 5 to 10kg and keep it off. I'd rather not do any exercise like running or cycling - it just wouldn't work. I'm thinking something with the results of anorexia but not as drastic. Has anyone been hypnotised to avoid eating junk food? Would I need to be hypnotised in English or Italian?

FYI, if it helps, I'm 6' and 87kg, good looking, well hung and male.

PS I need to lose the fat within the next 2 months because I have the perennial problem of fitting into my suits for an exhibition in May.

Without reading the whole thread..who has time!

I lost a load of weight, was never really obviously fat but in rather good shape now if i do say so myself, anyhow.

I just ensured that I walked a minimum of 1 hour a day EVERY day but so i was not appearing to be a woman power walking, I carried weights in my rucksack, and wore weighted gloves.

I am not a runner but this is easy, you whack a weight in the bag i went with normally 12 to 18kg but went as high as 35kg (Bad Idea straps failed) anyhow.. its pretty easy to walk out the door, night or day , typically I would do 6 miles in the evening and at a march.

6FT went from 100kg dead on to 84kgs in 4 months, returned to uk went back to around 88kgs, then did a simlar 4 month routine and got to my now78kgs which is pretty much where i should be at.

P.S. i love chocolate and had a small bar most days, i find it quite energising and the 50g bars are fine if you are doing what I was doing.

Measured pasta! and stuck to the portions.. that was done using smaller bowls and plates, I guess that i now eat half the pasta per serving i used to but I am not hungry as its enough.

I always had protein, bit of steak again smallish or boiled eggs after walk, routine worked for me.

I have weighted gloves you can buy too.. on my third pair, love wearing them
Old Mar 7th 2013, 11:53 pm
Banned

6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Do you only have sausages in your house?

Starving yourself will only make you pig out later.
Be sensible and eat something sensible.

I only eat sensible animals
Old Mar 8th 2013, 12:01 am
Banned

That is plain stupid...

avoid rice and pasta thse days, eat next to nothing one day and significantl ymore every other day!

You understand that you NEED food for energy, calories are energy and if you eat 500 or 800 calories in a day you will lack energy

You should never eat less than 1200 calories in a day and doctors suggest 1500 usually, with 30mins of exercise a day you will at 85kg or so lose weight slowly and healthily

FAD diets are not long term, who the hell has a fast day ever second day?
not how we are meant to operate

p.s. 38, blood pressure 65 over 115, 32 inch waist, can do around 80 push ups on the go when feeling good, not an athlete but I would not have a day where I did not eat properly as I would not have the energy to exercise and build muscle too... which is the best way to retain body shape, you loose 2% of your muscle mass from 25 years old onwards, better to have a decent meal and do something active, gives the heart and lungs something too, moreimportant.
Old Mar 8th 2013, 1:11 am
Back in US & happy!

Originally Posted by 6monthshere6monthsthere
That is plain stupid...

avoid rice and pasta thse days, eat next to nothing one day and significantl ymore every other day!

You understand that you NEED food for energy, calories are energy and if you eat 500 or 800 calories in a day you will lack energy

You should never eat less than 1200 calories in a day and doctors suggest 1500 usually, with 30mins of exercise a day you will at 85kg or so lose weight slowly and healthily

FAD diets are not long term, who the hell has a fast day ever second day?
not how we are meant to operate

p.s. 38, blood pressure 65 over 115, 32 inch waist, can do around 80 push ups on the go when feeling good, not an athlete but I would not have a day where I did not eat properly as I would not have the energy to exercise and build muscle too... which is the best way to retain body shape, you loose 2% of your muscle mass from 25 years old onwards, better to have a decent meal and do something active, gives the heart and lungs something too, moreimportant.
I would just like to point out that there is a lot of scientific evidence that this works and it works for me and I don't believe I am stupid. I don't lack any energy, in fact I feel healthier than ever before and I have been under loads of stress recently. Also I have had regular check ups with my doctor and all the tests prove I am healthy. Also my doctor is all for this and believes the science behind it.

This is not a fad diet - I am with you on this, I don't believe fad diets can work. This is a way of life for me, and if you can be bothered to read the facts behind this, you will realise that by reducing the growth factor by fasting 2 days a week it provides lots of health benefits, and the weight loss is extra to these.

Also, lots of religions practise fasting - and a lot of these people are fit and healthy. I personally couldn't fast every other day as some people do, or every day, but as I said I have huge meals on the fasting days - they just happen to be lots of veg and add up to lots of volume, very little calories
Old Mar 8th 2013, 6:22 am
BE Enthusiast

angeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to all

Great, when are you starting? I was thinking to start tomorrow with a greek yoghurt for breakfast, apples and bananas for lunch but I haven't got a clue for dinner and when I haven't got a clue, I open a bottle of Prosecco. I'm not buying any more booze but I've got this 1 last bottle chilling in the fridge.

Becks, where are you love? I hope you haven't had a relapse and OD'd on ice cream please . Is alcohol allowed on high calorie days. Also, should a high calorie day be the day after a fasting day?

Hmmm... something rude, that'll get you banned and almost certainly offensive? So it's not a Tanzanian albino long distance runner then?

Is there an app that could do that?

I didn't realise I had to do all these check-ups. Especially the prostate. And my doctor is also my dentist.

Duffer, starting next week, need to empty fridge first.....
Old Mar 8th 2013, 6:39 am
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

Just seen these additional questions - sorry I was spending the last few days trying to unpack all my stuff that arrived out of storage and shipping a few weeks ago and I need to put a claim in this week. Also had to sort flights and car hire as I have to go back to UK for my dads funeral - and I find searching for car hire a PITA, don't know how people do it.....
Thanks Becks,

I am sorry for your loss.

Hope you've got support to cope. You can also rely on us.

Ciao!

x
Old Mar 8th 2013, 7:38 am
Pull my finger

As regards regaining the weight - what happens is fasting 2 days a week lowers this thing called IGF-1 - which is an insulin like growth factor. Lowering it helps with fat burning. I think what you are describing with skipping meals for a couple of days and then getting back to square one is that on those days you skipped a meal, you were still having more than 600 calories in the day.
I'm having a fast day today. I'm 85.3kg on the first day of this stupid new fat busting fad diet that's going to give me a sculpted body with no effort or exercise required! Haha - I know a few people who fast every other day and live very active lives, they don't seem to lack any energy. A few of them are Hindus and I'm sure Hinduism has been around for as long as Scientology I reckon. I will eventually check with the doctor to see what he says.

Becks, yes you are right, I would eat a normal breakfast and a full meal and skip a meal but would've easily eaten at least 1500 calories in a day.

oh - some websites:

http://thefastdiet.co.uk/ - the first top part of the website seems to be just an advert for the book, but scroll down and there is loads of info
Great, very useful!

This is not a fad diet - I am with you on this, I don't believe fad diets can work. This is a way of life for me, and if you can be bothered to read the facts behind this, you will realise that by reducing the growth factor by fasting 2 days a week it provides lots of health benefits, and the weight loss is extra to these.
IIRC the Horizon program discussed the health benefits of fasting rather than the dieting.

Are you actually losing weight though? It's incredible that you can have a high caloric day eating all sorts of shit and 4 days eating normally. I really hope this works for me.

Sorry, I forgot to ask if you are also doing any type of exercise combined with this regime? I am doing 1hr of postural exercises twice a week and this is the only exercise I am doing now although once the weather improves I do walk at least 30 minutes per day.

Originally Posted by angeli
Duffer, starting next week, need to empty fridge first.....
But you don't have to empty the fridge out, keep the stuff for your high calorie day.
Old Mar 8th 2013, 8:03 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd be very suprised if this diet works for you, Duffer. Happily suprised, I mean. Especially if you don't empty the fridge. You'll be all right the first few times, but then you'll open the fridge and say, 'sod it'. And a life time of fasting every other day is different from just deciding to fast as part of a diet.

You are supposed to go to the dr's BEFORE starting a diet.
Not 'eventually'.
Old Mar 8th 2013, 9:40 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

So let me get this right .. the "fasting" diet means scoffing as much as you like for five days a week and then eating not much for the other two ..
doesn't it make more sense to reduce 7 out of 7 days?

Bit of a fad if you ask me .. somebody must be cashing in on it.
Old Mar 8th 2013, 11:03 am
BE Enthusiast

angeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to all

Well, strange that I know alot of peeps doing this....fasting 2 x days a week whose general look and fitness has improved....Got to give it a go to prove them wrong or right ?
Old Mar 8th 2013, 11:20 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by angeli
Well, strange that I know alot of peeps doing this....fasting 2 x days a week whose general look and fitness has improved....Got to give it a go to prove them wrong or right ?
I couldn't do it anyway .. I get headaches and start fainting ..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.