Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Extended stay in Italy

Extended stay in Italy

Old May 4th 2017, 1:50 pm
Forum Regular

Kevin_P is on a distinguished road
Default Extended stay in Italy

Hi, I'm British with a house in Italy. I'd like to stay for periods longer than 3 months ie. 'attestato d'iscrizione anagrafica' (I think!) Can anyone explain the process? Do I need a visa first?
Thanks in advance for help and advice.
Kevin
Old May 4th 2017, 6:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Extended stay in Italy

Originally Posted by Kevin_P
Hi, I'm British with a house in Italy. I'd like to stay for periods longer than 3 months ie. 'attestato d'iscrizione anagrafica' (I think!) Can anyone explain the process? Do I need a visa first?
Thanks in advance for help and advice.
Kevin
Who is to know how long you stay?
Old May 5th 2017, 3:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pica
Who is to know how long you stay?
The neighbors.
In many EU countries you are legally required to register if you stay beyond 90 days.
Old May 5th 2017, 7:12 am
Forum Regular

I think both EU and non-EU are required to follow the same process for any extended stay ie. over 3 months. Therefore, what I'm trying to find out is the process. My understanding is I require a visa to then obtain a long-stay permit to then obtain a certificate from the Comune...I know....I know...

Can anyone please advise?
Old May 5th 2017, 7:53 am
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

I think both EU and non-EU are required to follow the same process for any extended stay ie. over 3 months. Therefore, what I'm trying to find out is the process. My understanding is I require a visa to then obtain a long-stay permit to then obtain a certificate from the Comune...I know....I know...

Can anyone please advise?
If you are a British Citizen, and you have a Britsh Passport with right off abode in the United Kingdom, no worries. fRee movement to any other EU country.
After 90 days in Italy, you are legally supposed to then apply at the comune for residence. To do this you need eithera job cntract or proof f annual income of min 6000 euros, which could be in the bank, or a pension, or whatever. You also need a fixed abode, eg. rental contract or house purchase. Local police should check eventually that you actually live at the address you gave them
No visas required.
In reality Nobody really cares, so go easy, and then when you think you really want to stay, pop along to the comune with a copy of your oassport
etc.
good luck
'o nonno
Old May 5th 2017, 7:58 am
Forum Regular

That's really helpful and thank you! Of course, post Brexit (March 2019) that will probably change.
Old May 5th 2017, 9:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ononno
If you are a British Citizen, and you have a Britsh Passport with right off abode in the United Kingdom, no worries. fRee movement to any other EU country.
After 90 days in Italy, you are legally supposed to then apply at the comune for residence. To do this you need eithera job cntract or proof f annual income of min 6000 euros, which could be in the bank, or a pension, or whatever. You also need a fixed abode, eg. rental contract or house purchase. Local police should check eventually that you actually live at the address you gave them
No visas required.
In reality Nobody really cares, so go easy, and then when you think you really want to stay, pop along to the comune with a copy of your oassport
etc.
good luck
'o nonno
isn't it required to have health insurance for long stays ?
Old May 5th 2017, 9:12 am
Forum Regular

I think so yes. Also I think I may need evidence of sufficient funds ie the equivalent of benefit allowances for one-year. However, not sure if this is necessary for long-stay rather than more permanent residency?
Old May 5th 2017, 11:47 am
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morpeth
isn't it required to have health insurance for long stays ?
Sorry I forgot that bit,if a pensioner EHIC card,if you have a job probably covered by Italian national insurance, if not Italian Post Office has some good deals.
Old May 5th 2017, 11:53 am
Forum Regular

Hi. Italian Post Office? Is this for health insurance?
Old May 5th 2017, 12:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Serrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ononno
Sorry I forgot that bit,if a pensioner EHIC card,if you have a job probably covered by Italian national insurance, if not Italian Post Office has some good deals.
Pensioner - S1 form not EHIC, surely?
Old May 5th 2017, 1:02 pm
Forum Regular

I'm not retired but live and work in the UK. However, I have a house in Italy and would like to stay for a period of over 3 months. Therefore, based on the above, I assume I can get the documentation from my Comune if I produce evidence of private health cover and an annual income of 6000 Euros. (I think this is the same process for non-EU anyway?)
Old May 5th 2017, 1:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Serrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not retired but live and work in the UK. However, I have a house in Italy and would like to stay for a period of over 3 months. Therefore, based on the above, I assume I can get the documentation from my Comune if I produce evidence of private health cover and an annual income of 6000 Euros. (I think this is the same process for non-EU anyway?)
My understanding - yes, that's all you should need (apart from a GSOH and a lot of patience )
Old May 5th 2017, 1:28 pm
Forum Regular

In ever decreasing levels! Thanks for your advice - much appreciated.
Old May 5th 2017, 2:35 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Serrano
Pensioner - S1 form not EHIC, surely?
Yes, EHIC is for visitors and not residents, so after the 90 days you certainly need health insurance, however the S1 form does really suggest you are moving away from the UK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.