Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Expats in the Salerno area

Expats in the Salerno area

Old Jan 31st 2014, 9:31 am
Forum Regular

Scozzese is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Expats in the Salerno area

Oh boy, I had to do this... to be honest it was a great experience. I don't know what the school will make of it if you say you prefer not to - it depends on which school it is in all honesty.

When would you have to start? I can understand that two weeks isnt long to settle in.
Old Jan 31st 2014, 3:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

jiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant future

As Ononno and Scozzeze suggest, it never looks good to turn down an offer of work and you may live to regret having done so.
You mention working in a private English school (is this a language school rather than a "proper" school?) and being offered work in state schools. If it is direct employment by the state sector, mother-tongue speakers are relatively well paid and, being in demand, can often build up a package of work which suits them , both financially and socially. If this is the language school hiring you out, bear the foregoing in mind and try to avoid being exploited.
Jim
Old Feb 1st 2014, 8:54 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giada86
I've just started working at an Private English school in Salerno. I have been here 2 weeks and am enjoying it however they have now asked me to work in other state schools as well on top of the lessons I am doing at their school. I don't feel comfortable yet to work elsewhere and would prefer to stay settled in one school. Do you think it looks bad or will risk my position in the school if I don't accept the outside jobs?
Work in state schools? Ask exactly what kind of work and for how long. The state school might have gone to the private language school to ask for a "mother tongue lettrice" ..... like a language assistant. If this is the case then the extra work might only be for a few weeks or months at the most.
If the work is as a lettrice then you should not be left in a state school classroom on your own. The students' own proper high school teacher must be there too. You will be there as the language assistant doing live English with the kids.
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 8:26 am
Forum Regular

I am going to guess that this is something like a PON where a school contacts a private school to get teaching for an extracurricular course such as Trinity or similar. In this case it will last for just a few months. Looks good on the old CV though...
Old Nov 17th 2014, 6:27 am
Just Joined

neive is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi I moved to the Cilento region of Italy in October and would very much like to make contact with any British or English speaking Expats in the area. I live in Santa Maria di Castellabate.
Old Nov 17th 2014, 7:57 am
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neive
Hi I moved to the Cilento region of Italy in October and would very much like to make contact with any British or English speaking Expats in the area. I live in Santa Maria di Castellabate.
Welcome from me :-) Quite a way from you I'm afraid; although I can see Casetellabate on a clear day. Lovely spot - enjoy. I think there are few and hopefully younger expats around Agropoli and general Cilento area.
bye bye dicette l'inglese

(you'll learn dialect soon enough :-) )
Old Nov 19th 2014, 5:03 am
Forum Regular

johnnyj is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Expats in the Salerno area

Ciao, we live very close to you. Welcome to Cilento!
Old Jul 12th 2015, 1:20 am
Just Joined

luwilkinson is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello! Did you ever move to Salerno? We are contemplating moving from London as our family is there. x

Originally Posted by Giada86
Hey!!

I am a British, single 26 year old female living in London but with Italian roots.

I visit the South of Italy (Salerno) every year as I have family and an apartment over there. It has always been my dream to live in the South of Italy since I was young but was never the right time until now...

I speak fluent Italian and would really love to take the plunge and move over there!! I am hesitant as I know that jobs are hard to come by (especially in the South) but I am taking a TEFL course in October and would like to use that to teach English over there, maybe start out doing private tutoring.

I would love to speak to other British & Americans who have moved to that region and advise me if it can really be done and if there are any private English/Language schools in Salerno or surrounding areas!!
Old Jul 12th 2015, 1:30 am
Just Joined

luwilkinson is an unknown quantity at this point

We spend our summers in Agropoli! Also contemplating moving over to Italy permanently! We should meet up? x

Old Jan 16th 2016, 9:23 am
Just Joined

LITTLEFISH35 is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear All

I am a British lady who has just started a new job in Salerno. Are there any English people in the city who would like to meet up for a coffee or a walk somewhere?
Old Jan 17th 2016, 8:08 am
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LITTLEFISH35
Dear All

I am a British lady who has just started a new job in Salerno. Are there any English people in the city who would like to meet up for a coffee or a walk somewhere?
Welcome. Have you managed to catch the mini-Blackpool illuminations? (luminarie).
Afraid I'm quite a way from Salerno itself.
Old Jan 17th 2016, 8:31 am
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Dear All

Good luck with your job.

Take care with your valuables if you travel through the main station in Naples. A friend of mine had his door keys robbed and he had to get the police to break into his flat. That was a while ago so may be things have improved.
Old Jan 19th 2016, 6:23 am
Forum Regular

johnnyj is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm still here!! #justsaying
Old Jan 24th 2016, 8:06 am
Forum Regular

Dear All

Hi,
I'm still around! Welcome to Salerno 😊

Would be delighted to meet up. I'm also a British woman. What area do you live in?

Scozzese
Old Jan 27th 2016, 7:20 pm
Banned

etnaboom is an unknown quantity at this point

Just interested to know, what kind of pay to teachers get for doing this kind of thing?

I have head the pay is chronic? 600 euro a month? Surely this cannot be true?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.