Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

English tv in Italy

English tv in Italy

Old Feb 17th 2018, 6:07 pm
Just Joined

be556 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default English tv in Italy

Hi, has anyone had any experience with internet based / VPN access to english tv in Italy. We have moved to Napoli and want to avoid a satellite dish the size of a planet and internet / VPN access seems to be a good idea but am eager to avoid endless buffering issues etc. Help would be appreciated...
Old Feb 17th 2018, 8:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: English tv in Italy

Have you tried TVcatchup?
Old Feb 17th 2018, 10:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

If your internet and device is okay, then TV via something like iplayer or tvcatchup should be fine. If not then try streaming what you want to watch to a USB stick and watch it when you want. A great bit of software mentioned here before is get_iplayer if you visit the UK, use it to download loads of TV. Not tried it from Italy with a VPN, but suspect it won't work.
Old Feb 18th 2018, 6:41 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

If you have a home still in the UK get a sling box.
Old Feb 18th 2018, 9:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by modicasa
If you have a home still in the UK get a sling box.
Another great idea, as would be your own webserver in the UK, problem . You still need good internet access and a decent standard device (PC, connected tv etc) to use said internet. Oh and of course enough dataallowance/month ... Only other problem would be you cannot reboot or correct any other fault at the UK end should it happen.
Old Feb 18th 2018, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

Accetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond repute

I use mobdro, via my fastweb internet. The internet is patchy where I am, but you should be able to get fibre in napoli. Another good tip, get a good quality set top box - mine cost 160 euros and has the option to broadcast the programmes in english (when the english is transmitted alongside the dubbed italian) I watch lots of italian programming in english that way.
Old Feb 18th 2018, 7:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Modicasa’s post made me think it might be worth a look at the slingbox option. Have to say, looking at the reviews on Amazon for the slingbox and Roku (alternative), they did not look too good. Anyway while I was looking I came across this UKTV Anywhere link , not a cheap solution and you still need good internet/device in Italy, but it may be of use if you do not have a UK address. Not looked for other companies doing this, perhaps there are cheaper options out there.
Old Feb 19th 2018, 7:12 am
BE Enthusiast

GeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud of

It is incredible given the market that clearly exists that no broadcaster has come up with some sort of pay solution for watching their channels abroad.
Old Feb 19th 2018, 9:17 am
BE Forum Addict

It may be worth waiting as things are about to change soon. Sky announced the other week they are to go totally internet for future customers i.e. no dish outside the house. One of the reasons was that the new EU directive on media contracts in one EU country having to be available in another. Unfortunately the BBC does not come within this remit, but the general view seems to be they will fall into line. Of course I'll repeat again you need good internet and device to use anything mentioned here. I mention the "device" because I've seen so many cases of late whereby people complain about their internet being slow and the reason has been they were using an old PC, OS and wifi card that simply throttled everything.
Old Feb 19th 2018, 11:22 am
Just Joined

Yes, I thought about catchup / iplayer however the BBC is geo specific and I am therefore unable to access anything. The vpn option seems like a good idea but still has potential problems. I hate Sky with a passion and don't want a dish. As everything else in Italy / Napoli ( big or small ) is accompanied by many problems I can do without the tv going pear shaped as well as I am likely to lose the plot and throw the tv through the window!
Old Feb 19th 2018, 12:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by White Zombie
Yes, I thought about catchup / iplayer however the BBC is geo specific and I am therefore unable to access anything.
TVCatchup is not geo specific. They just rebroadcast tv illegally.
Old Feb 19th 2018, 12:52 pm
Just Joined

Interesting. Will try iplayer through my PS4 again.....
Old Feb 19th 2018, 3:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Odd TVCatchup wiki info states "UK only", looking at their own site they seem indeed to be a re-transmission site. Their FAQ indicate they have already had to comply with some legal action against them and reduced what they show. Be interesting to see if you can get access from Italy, even the limited channels would be of some use for some live sports programs freely.
BBC iplayer is definitely geo-blocked and the beeb are getting pretty good at blocking any VPN access.
Old Feb 20th 2018, 6:54 am
Forum Regular

britaly00 is a jewel in the roughbritaly00 is a jewel in the roughbritaly00 is a jewel in the roughbritaly00 is a jewel in the rough

I find most BBC programmes of interest to me- some art/culture docs, films- available on torrents. In UK couple weeks ago and from what I saw most of output is subpar if not outright trash these days- reality shows, cooking shows, soaps, game shows...
Iplayer is blocked outside UK as mentioned.
I tried tvcatchup and got 'reception'. Breakfast tv: euuggh!

Last edited by britaly00; Feb 20th 2018 at 7:17 am.
Old Feb 20th 2018, 8:01 am
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

Filmon was quite good for getting BBC, but I dumped them when in January they upped their rates. I have Hotspot shield which gets me into ITV hub, and loads of BBC stuff on Netflix and Amazon prime. More than enough TV for my viewing windows.
I'm in provincia di Napoli by the way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.