Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

English Teacher

English Teacher

Old Mar 12th 2018, 12:23 pm
Forum Regular

sruggieri is an unknown quantity at this point
Default English Teacher

Hi everyone, my English wife who is a teacher works at an English Language School in Iseo. They are looking for an extra English teacher to teach a variety of ages from children to adults. Students are taught either individually or in groups. Good rate of pay and friendly staff. If you are interested or know anyone that is, please let me know.
Old Oct 20th 2019, 6:47 pm
Just Joined

lentini is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: English Teacher

Hi just came across this website and your post. My wife and I are looking to move to Italy from London. My wife is Italian and from Brescia. We were looking to settle in lago d'iseo area. We have a young child and wanted to keep him going to an english school. I don't know if you can help me with any expat schools in the area ? Also any links are suggestions for our relocation would be appreciated. I definitely wanted to look for work similar to your wife and use my english language skills to teach. Did she get an accreditation to teach in Italy. Anyway I know its an old post thought I would try my chance you still are on here. Thanks for taking time to read. Cheers
Old Jan 4th 2020, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

tpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by lentini
Hi just came across this website and your post. My wife and I are looking to move to Italy from London. My wife is Italian and from Brescia. We were looking to settle in lago d'iseo area. We have a young child and wanted to keep him going to an english school. I don't know if you can help me with any expat schools in the area ? Also any links are suggestions for our relocation would be appreciated. I definitely wanted to look for work similar to your wife and use my english language skills to teach. Did she get an accreditation to teach in Italy. Anyway I know its an old post thought I would try my chance you still are on here. Thanks for taking time to read. Cheers
If you want to work at a decent school then you’ll need a CELTA certificate, or an equivalent qualification. I did it for a few years about 5 years ago, it’s fun but a lot of hard work, I would suggest looking to work privately too as you’ll make much better money.
Old Jan 4th 2020, 9:17 pm
Just Joined

lentini is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tpw21

If you want to work at a decent school then you’ll need a CELTA certificate, or an equivalent qualification. I did it for a few years about 5 years ago, it’s fun but a lot of hard work, I would suggest looking to work privately too as you’ll make much better money.
Hi thanks for response. Are you living in Iseo ? I did look at CELTA but there are so many schools offering this in London and confusing which is legitimate and what is not. Did you do it in UK or in Italy ? thanks for help
Old Jan 5th 2020, 6:03 am
Forum Regular

tpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by lentini
Hi thanks for response. Are you living in Iseo ? I did look at CELTA but there are so many schools offering this in London and confusing which is legitimate and what is not. Did you do it in UK or in Italy ? thanks for help
Hi there,

No, I am based in Verona.
I did mine in the UK on a part time basis while working full time. I think there are schools in Italy where you can do the CELTA over a 4 week period.
Old Jan 5th 2020, 6:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Do not expect to earn much from Teaching English (TEFL) in Italy.

I do not want to put you off your choice of career, but counsel that a living wage is unlikely through this route. I write as one who earned his living from 1968 to 2018 in this field - in Europe, Africa and the Middle East.

For me Europe was the most difficult place to earn enough to sustain life !

CELTA Training is available in many places throughout the world. I always preferred the Trinity Certification.

https://www.trinitycollege.com/quali...aching-english

Last edited by scot47; Jan 5th 2020 at 7:04 am.
Old Jan 5th 2020, 8:26 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by scot47
Do not expect to earn much from Teaching English (TEFL) in Italy.

I do not want to put you off your choice of career, but counsel that a living wage is unlikely through this route. I write as one who earned his living from 1968 to 2018 in this field - in Europe, Africa and the Middle East.

For me Europe was the most difficult place to earn enough to sustain life !

CELTA Training is available in many places throughout the world. I always preferred the Trinity Certification.

https://www.trinitycollege.com/quali...aching-english
It is possible in Italy if he/she supplements their income from offering private lessons. Once established I’d suggest working at a school on a part time basis at the most and concentrating on offering private lessons to individuals.